Feeding Beet Pulp?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Anybody feeding beet pulp? If so, what form are you using, wet, shredded dry, or pelleted? How is it working? Thinking about getting some trucked in this week.

Theres lot of info on feeding beet pulp-- do a search on the web.

I fed it years ago- good stuff- too pricey(might be different now) for most applications-compared to other commodities- unless you are close and can ship it in wet . Or if you specifically need the fiber and absorption qualities(as I needed).

I used shredded,dried
Wet commodities are almost always better nutritionally than the dried forms-But have spoiling and hauling issues.
No info on pelleted- cept pelleted commodities are almost always the least attractive form "nutritionally"- but have other physical feeding,storage and hauling attributes.

Its a great additive for most feeds- it improves TDN of the other ingredients.

Yes, we feed beet pulp. I'm not sure what classification it falls into, though - we have it delivered from the sugar factory so it starts out damp, then becomes dry - at least on top. In our experience, it encourages our animals to eat better, and helps them to better utilize their dry feedstuffs.

msscamp":20l3ls7j said:
Yes, we feed beet pulp. I'm not sure what classification it falls into, though - we have it delivered from the sugar factory so it starts out damp, then becomes dry - at least on top. In our experience, it encourages our animals to eat better, and helps them to better utilize their dry feedstuffs.

how do you keep it from spoiling? Do you pack it and tarp it like silage, or are just getting it in cold weather? I would also like to feed it to our horses, a friend of mine feeds it to his horses but only has a week before it spoils, don't really want to feed fermented products to the horses? Although he has a dairy farmer nearby were he can go and buy a small amount at one time, he says that dairy guy mixs beet pulp and corn silage together and feeds it to his horses and has had no problems. I have fed the dried pulp mix with water to our horses, but I want to buy it in bulk wet really cheap.

Ray

I wouldn't feed but the very fresh wet beet pulp to horses.
And silage is more scary.
Horses digestive system is not the same as a cows-- hes risking overloading their system and having dead horses.

hayray":gi29bcbr said:
msscamp":gi29bcbr said:

how do you keep it from spoiling? Do you pack it and tarp it like silage, or are just getting it in cold weather? I would also like to feed it to our horses, a friend of mine feeds it to his horses but only has a week before it spoils, don't really want to feed fermented products to the horses? Although he has a dairy farmer nearby were he can go and buy a small amount at one time, he says that dairy guy mixs beet pulp and corn silage together and feeds it to his horses and has had no problems. I have fed the dried pulp mix with water to our horses, but I want to buy it in bulk wet really cheap.

Ray

We only feed it during the winter, so spoilage has never been a problem. The rest of the year, everything is either on pasture or sold. I don't believe I would be feeding corn silage to horses - too much potential for problems.