Bagging Sugar Beet Pulp ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking at bagging some wet pulp/shreds before the late fall demand hits. Since pulp prices are based on trucking costs (locally still $4/mile) the energy is not a lot less than $3 corn and there is a lot more bulk. I also assume it will freeze into a rock during the winter...
Do you have any storage or calf feeding tips for wet pulp w/o using a TMR?

None grown around here so no real first hand knowledge of feeding wet beet pulp. Don't know if there is any research available about feeding it other than in a TMR. I think you're a bit off on the energy levels, however, on a dry matter basis crude protein and tdn or not far apart. I'd probably opt for corn silage.

They claim 94% of the energy of corn by DM. Sugar as apposed to starch. Some use it in "grass fed" systems.
I have tried feeding it with a FEL loader tractor. Cattle like it but the manure is really soupy...

we use sugar beet pulp on our rations, but we don't use over 5.5% of total ration, or 2# of dry matter for head so is 2/.21=9.5#head/day last sample was:
moisture 79%
DM 21%
C. protein 1.3
ADF% 3
TDN% 18.5
Net energy maint .21
Net energy gain .14
Calcium% .14
P%.03
Mg% .08
K% .21

brownvet":35pmd1qa said:
we use sugar beet pulp on our rations, but we don't use over 5.5% of total ration, or 2# of dry matter for head

Why so little? You see some sample rations with as high as 20 to 30% pressed beet pulp.

Latest posts