Subsidy

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt":2dmzl2fl said:
Subsidies are funded by Taxation! This is not some imaginary money that is floating around out there. It is my Janitorial Business being Taxed to pay farmers to not raise corn!

Nobody gets paid to not raise corn.

lakading":l8wyhyuw said:
Nobody gets paid to not raise corn.

Maybe not where you are, but where I am, in this state, I do know at least one person who gets paid for not growing corn, wheat and tobacco. (no, that person is not me)

This practice makes no sense to me. As before, could someone please explain to me why some folks get paid to not grow crops?

Katherine

lakading":1weztvni said:
denoginnizer":1weztvni said:
Why should someone recieve a direct payment check from the gov when he/she has no crop, and has no intention of growing a crop?

They don't.

I get a check for not growing a crop. My home place is in a sorghum program and I get a whopping $165 per year for NOT growing it. This is the 10th year I have been on it.

I have no intentions of growing sorghum either. Not even for syrup.

Workinonit Farm":2qzwz5ck said:
As before, could someone please explain to me why some folks get paid to not grow crops?

Katherine

The basic idea is to keep the supply down which keeps the prices for that particular crop artificially high. I know it gets more complicated than that, but thats it in a nutshell.

dun":r1k7eh1u said:
I've alwasy looked at it as getting back some of my hard earned tax dollars.
CB I suppose you turn down your social security check every month too.

dun

Nope but I paid for that for that. I would have been money ahead if I could have kept that money over the years and put in an IRA.

lakading":1pncjps7 said:
Caustic Burno":1pncjps7 said:
Guys no matter how we try to justify this if you are taking money from the government, it cost Americans in tax dollars.
Some one else is footing the bill.

True. However, I contend that the property taxes on my farmland foot the education bill for the kids of those city folk who own no land.

Someone needs to explain to me why we allow Property taxes in the first place. We are being taxed on something that we have already paid taxes on. Which is the money we earned to buy the property. :mad:
In effect we are renting the land from the government by having to pay property tax on it each year. We don't really own any property, the government owns it.
There should be no property taxes. Schools should be paid for by an income tax that gets everyone whether they own land or not. That would get the people whose kids we are educating for free right now.
As far as the farm programs go. They are what drives up the cost of land and keeps young people that want to get into it from doing so. Farmland is way overvalued.

Caustic Burno":3rsc68mi said:
I would have been money ahead if I could have kept that money over the years and put in an IRA.

You've got that right.

Young people today, if willing, will learn a lesson from their elders as well as various economic situations and start IRA's and similar investments now. They will be glad they did many years from now. A much better deal than Social Security.

Katherine

KMacGinley said:
In effect we are renting the land from the government by having to pay property tax on it each year. We don't really own any property, the government owns it.
quote]

It certainly seems that way.

Katherine

KMacGinley":32brcwsp said:
As far as the farm programs go. They are what drives up the cost of land and keeps young people that want to get into it from doing so. Farmland is way overvalued.

I don't think it's solely the farm prgrams that run up the price of land. Development, people needing a place to live, people wanting to move to the country, people wanting shopping malls close to their new country homes. I think that has more to do with the rising cost of land. Besides that, there are only so many acres on this planet and those acres are not reproducing themselves but the people living on the planet continue to reproduce.

JMHO

Katherine

Caustic Burno":2ky2ej35 said:
dun":2ky2ej35 said:

dun

Nope but I paid for that for that. I would have been money ahead if I could have kept that money over the years and put in an IRA.

What about the percentage the gov kicks in? You didn;t put all the money in that you'll draw. That's assuming you live longer then whatever they expect you to when they calculate your benefits.

dun

dun":1zelp88w said:
Caustic Burno":1zelp88w said:
dun":1zelp88w said:

dun

What about the percentage the gov kicks in? You didn;t put all the money in that you'll draw. That's assuming you live longer then whatever they expect you to when they calculate your benefits.

dun

Government didn't kick in any as employers pay the other half, and if they would have let me kept my money investing at just 5% I could have never spent it all.

Just went and looked I would have had a quarter of a million if they had let me invest it for 30 years at 5%
They pay 1200 dollars a month would have to live 30 years to break even heck of a deal.

Caustic Burno":3m86k3ej said:
if they would have let me kept my money investing at just 5% I could have never spent it all.

In reality of you would have bought beer with the money and just held on to the aluminum cans and started cashing them in you'ld probably be money ahead.

dun

Caustic Burno":22oh3oa0 said:
dun":22oh3oa0 said:
Caustic Burno":22oh3oa0 said:
dun":22oh3oa0 said:

dun

dun

Government didn't kick in any as employers pay the other half, and if they would have let me kept my money investing at just 5% I could have never spent it all.
So you are getting a subsidy from your former employer. Self employed farmers don't get half of theres paid for by there employer they are the employer.

somn":gi16phdv said:
Caustic Burno":gi16phdv said:
dun":gi16phdv said:
Caustic Burno":gi16phdv said:
dun":gi16phdv said:

dun

dun

So you are getting a subsidy from your former employer. Self employed farmers don't get half of theres paid for by there employer they are the employer.

No DL they are taxed just like I was to pay you to grow corn.
You of all people should avoid this thread as you seem proud you are on welfare.

Caustic Burno":1otp0cma said:
dun":1otp0cma said:
Caustic Burno":1otp0cma said:
dun":1otp0cma said:

dun

dun

Just went and looked I would have had a quarter of a million if they had let me invest it for 30 years at 5%
They pay 1200 dollars a month would have to live 30 years to break even heck of a deal.

Ya, but CB the employer isn't really contributing anything. That is a cost to hire you, they could just as easily be paying you that 7.5% so in effect you are paying the whole 15%.

Caustic Burno":2nhb0n3p said:
dun":2nhb0n3p said:
Caustic Burno":2nhb0n3p said:
dun":2nhb0n3p said:

dun

dun

Ya, but CB the employer isn't really contributing anything. That is a cost to hire you, they could just as easily be paying you that 7.5% so in effect you are paying the whole 15%.

Workinonit Farm":180ove3w said:
KMacGinley":180ove3w said:

I don't think it's solely the farm prgrams that run up the price of land. Development, people needing a place to live, people wanting to move to the country, people wanting shopping malls close to their new country homes. I think that has more to do with the rising cost of land. Besides that, there are only so many acres on this planet and those acres are not reproducing themselves but the people living on the planet continue to reproduce.

JMHO

Right, development is driving the prices in and around population centers but out here in the boondocks, regular farmland is going for $3000 + per acre and that is not due to development. That is due to a guaranteed government profit.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":1etpex8o said:
somn":1etpex8o said:
dun":1etpex8o said:
dun":1etpex8o said:

dun

dun

No DL they are taxed just like I was to pay you to grow corn.
You of all people should avoid this thread as you seem proud you are on welfare.
I already stated I use RA not subsidies I pay a cost out of my pocket for insurance to gaurantee me a minimum level of revenue Thats why they call it Revenue Assurance. I pay that cost if I use it or not every year. RA proceeds are taxed just like your social security was. You either have farmed before and understand this or you haven't and you nothing about it I'm guessing it is the last one. Thats why you keep calling it welfare.