Sub Q

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
What are they talking about when they are giving shots sub Q ?

I thought you was suppose to give the shot in the mussle (neck) ?

Right below the skin, still in the neck. Sometimes helps to pinch a tent of their skin and poking needle in there.

Bez has responded to a post "shots" in the health and nutrition board that would be very heplful.

angie":2de4lba6 said:
Right below the skin, still in the neck. Sometimes helps to pinch a tent of their skin and poking needle in there.

Thats right, I always just pinch the skin up and stick in the side of the pull. And remember, LA 200 is not to be administered in the "Lower Abdomen". :lol:

angie":1vwrnlfo said:
Sometimes helps to pinch a tent of their skin and poking needle in there.

That is a very good way to inject yourself instead of the animal. A lot of the vaccines can cause some very nasty problems when that happens, so you may want to rethink your injection technique.

I read that reply of Bez's and yes it is very helpful. And he says by giving the shot the way he explains it you do not hit meat(mussel) ?

I thought you wanted the shot to go into the mussel ? I have never gave a calf a shot. I have horses and always gave it to them in the mussel in the neck.

msscamp is right about tring to pinch a tent to give a shot on a big animal like that. I have seen the vets give small animals shots just under the skin by pinching the skin.

Ok i understand the intramuscular part but i dont know what you mean by subcutaneous ?

Stepper":20dkurzc said:
I thought you wanted the shot to go into the mussel ?

Only if it is intended for IMM injection. Giving a shot of some products sub q alows it to be released into animal for a longer period of time at a lower daily dose. For most stuff if i cna be given sub Q or IM, iprefer sub Q

Ok,

I have to give a calf a shot in the morning using LA 200 so that would probably need to be sub q ?

you need to read the label on what your are administering. Some can only be given one way or the other, some can be given either way.

If you have a choic always go subcutaneous. This means under the skin, but not in the muscle. Intramuscular means in the muscle.

Giving a shot in the muscle can cause scaring that will have to be cut out when processed. This is also why you should give the shot in the neck rather than the rump. Much less chance or ruining a quality cut of meat.

As far as tenting. If you are going to tent when giving the shot. Place your fingers with the syringe directly below the fingers tenting the hide and insert the needle in a direction away from them. This will prevent accidently shooting through both layers of skin and wasting the syrum as well as the possibility of sticking yourself.

Personally, I am going to try the method Bez posted. Anything that will speed up the operation is something I am going to try.

Stepper":on03exyr said:
Ok i understand the intramuscular part but i dont know what you mean by subcutaneous ?

Medications are either administered IM (intramuscular) or Sub-Q(subqutaneously). IM is given into a muscle, while Sub-Q is given just under the skin. The difference between the 2 has to with the absorbtion rate - IM is faster than Sub-Q, I believe. Read the directions on the bottle/phamphlet/box and it will tell you which method to use.

Thanks for all of the information. I will diffinately read the labels from now on to see if the shots need to be given sub q or imm. ;-)

I would also recommend using a 16 gauge needle that is 1" long. 16 guage is a little thicker than an 18 guage - so it tends to not bend as easily since this is your first time out - but is not as thick as a 14 guage, so the animal doesn't protest quite as vigorously. I personally would not use a 1 1/2" needle - they are too long and bend very easily in my experience.

Stepper":3fneou5m said:
Thanks for all of the information. I will diffinately read the labels from now on to see if the shots need to be given sub q or imm. ;-)

If given a choice on the label, I always try to give it sub q. Less chance of getting a vein or something. Just my preference.

msscamp":1pp6e1il said:
angie":1pp6e1il said:

That is a very good way to inject yourself instead of the animal. A lot of the vaccines can cause some very nasty problems when that happens, so you may want to rethink your injection technique.
I'm wondering what would be a better way as this is the method I have used thousands of times. My history has showed it to be the eaisest and safest way I've found. How do you create the pocket under the skin to inject the medicine into. I Pinch and pull inject into the pocket created by pinching and pulling. Same as angie except I call it a pocket she called it a tent. I'm not seeing how this method is a very good way to inject myself.

somn":k4l6lowp said:
msscamp":k4l6lowp said:
angie":k4l6lowp said:

I'm wondering what would be a better way as this is the method I have used thousands of times. My history has showed it to be the eaisest and safest way I've found. How do you create the pocket under the skin to inject the medicine into. I Pinch and pull inject into the pocket created by pinching and pulling. Same as angie except I call it a pocket she called it a tent. I'm not seeing how this method is a very good way to inject myself.

Somn

Go here and try this.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 713#405713

Regards

Bez>

Latest posts