Sheath Q

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Is this a sloppy sheath? I don't always have a good eye, but this bull seems nicer than the typical craigslist bull.

5T45W45S13nf3ma3o2bak09703d558e301bb2.jpg

Could be better but it would not be a deal breaker for me. You going full Fleck now?

3waycross":1wjyqpvq said:
Could be better but it would not be a deal breaker for me. You going full Fleck now?

Can you give us specifics on what you see that could be better? Is this bull a little fatty? Rate it an 8 or 9 for example?

Goodlife":36leddul said:
3waycross":36leddul said:

Can you give us specifics on what you see that could be better? Is this bull a little fatty? Rate it an 8 or 9 for example?

I meant the SHEATH. Nothing more or less. He has a decent sheath. It could be a little tighter to him belly! His BCS would rate very high. I am sure the bull has been on some feed.
Here is all the info you could ever need on BCS.....http://beef.unl.edu/learning/condition1a.shtml .............he's probably a high 7 or maybe 8.

I agree the sheath could be better, but its not the typical sheath that would cause problems. The bulls biggest fault is his lack of depth and volume.

KNERSIE":3cukreaz said:
I agree the sheath could be better, but its not the typical sheath that would cause problems. The bulls biggest fault is his lack of depth and volume.

Again, sorry if I am a pest with rookie questions, but I am learning so much here on this board. If it matters and to show where I am coming from, I am getting ready to improve pastures this spring and put up fences and a barn over the 2012 summer. Hoping to purchase feeder calves in 2013 to get started. So...

Can you explain what you see when you say lack of depth and volume?

Goodlife":33u79f18 said:
KNERSIE":33u79f18 said:

Again, sorry if I am a pest with rookie questions, but I am learning so much here on this board. If it matters and to show where I am coming from, I am getting ready to improve pastures this spring and put up fences and a barn over the 2012 summer. Hoping to purchase feeder calves in 2013 to get started. So...

Can you explain what you see when you say lack of depth and volume?

Here's a link to answer most of your questions http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... MP-398.pdf .

It took me 30 seconds to google this and get this link for you. It would take Harley or anyone else a long time to write the same thing here. Why not try accessing some of the better Ag schools websites and do about a weeks worth of reading. THEN if you don't understand something come back here and ask the questions.

Not picking on you just giving you some options.

3waycross":30hebn36 said:
Here's a link to answer most of your questions http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... MP-398.pdf .

It took me 30 seconds to google this and get this link for you. It would take Harley or anyone else a long time to write the same thing here. Why not try accessing some of the better Ag schools websites and do about a weeks worth of reading. THEN if you don't understand something come back here and ask the questions.

Not picking on you just giving you some options.

Thanks 3Way. I google a lot of stuff actually and read constantly, esp. the U of Ill stuff since I am in IL, and don't have a weeks worth of reading, I have months worth of reading in. One was Storey's awesome guide to Rasing Beef Cattle. It is really difficult to apply book learning to experience however so I thought I would seek out a description to attach the great pic to what you were saying. I will read the link you supplied as well then go back to the picture. I appreciate the discussion and back and forth on this board as one of my many ways of learning and hearing experienced cattle ranchers. You discuss things not in the books and sometimes state it in a way that helps me to understand better. That is why I hang out in the Beginners Board. I thought it was supposed to be a place open to rookie questions? And I know I ask a lot of them. So, anyway, sorry if my rookie questions get old, I guess I feel like a pest now, but I am certainly not too lazy to research. This board is one of my tools used for research. Tomorrow I am going to the Fruitland MO sale barn to watch the cattle run through as another form of research and learning.

Anyway, thanks much for the help you are to me 3way. You guys are awesome and I'll try to limit my basic questions and research it elsewhere first.

I'd say ask all the questions you want to and if somebody wants to answer they will. I'm here to learn as well and have read Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle, I have a 30 hour DVD course from the University of Kentucky on raising cattle, in addition to the course manual from Middle Tennessee State's Master Cattleman's course. There is a lot to learn and this board along with the books available are great aides in addition to all you can Google up online.

Best of luck with your venture Goodlife.

Sometimes google or the pdf files are too in depth for the question at hand. Honestly, my wife is always getting onto me for being on the internet, and all I do is learn about cattle in one shape or form. This is by far the best place to learn that I have found for beginners and old hacks alike

Regarding his depth and capacity, I believe depth is supposed to be 2/3 height. If there is a formula for length I've forgotten it, but I suspect he isn't long enough. Hard to tell in one photo, but it's all I have. An animal doesn't have to be tall to have capacity for developing muscle and also for females to have plenty of room to grow a calf without it being cramped. I didn't really notice these faults until Knersie pointed them out.

TennesseeTuxedo":21u026op said:
I'd say ask all the questions you want to and if somebody wants to answer they will. I'm here to learn as well and have read Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle, I have a 30 hour DVD course from the University of Kentucky on raising cattle, in addition to the course manual from Middle Tennessee State's Master Cattleman's course. There is a lot to learn and this board along with the books available are great aides in addition to all you can Google up online.

I do not mean this in a bad way and a lot of their info is very useful but the college way of raising cattle is not always the most profitable. Be careful and read carefully. Some things they teach will work great but might not make a profit.

I understand that completely Kenny that's why I, along with other newcomers, enjoy forums such as this for their continuing education. When my day comes I'll also have the benefit of my mother in law who has been in the cattle business for 35 years.

How you healing up?

kenny thomas":1oubtjdn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1oubtjdn said:

I do not mean this in a bad way and a lot of their info is very useful but the college way of raising cattle is not always the most profitable. Be careful and read carefully. Some things they teach will work great but might not make a profit.

Yes sir, thats the truth. You especially have to be careful with some university feed advice. You'll wind up with the fattest cattle for miles around.

Healing slow. But also don't believe all the things us old farts think about cattle either. I still learn something quite often. A good lession is invaluable whether from a book or the old cattleman next door.

Latest posts