Another beginner electric fence Q.

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper

Reaction score
I have a paige-wire fence, with a strand of electric in front of it. Can you ground with a wire from the fencer unit, attached onto the paige wire fence? I'm thinking all those fence posts would be grounds, the same as a dedicated ground-rod and clamp? Thanks.

You can, but................
All those posts have paint on them so they don;t conduct all that well. Under some conditions you can get knocked on your butt pretty well by touching the fence being used for the ground. I have never figured out why but it seems in really humid conditions it can get you.

IMO, ground the fence with ground rods spaced about 10ft apart would be your best bet. too many problems can occur grounding to solid wire fence like dun said.

It will work, but....in dry conditions you may loose the ground.
We ground to the fence as well as having two ground rods.
I suppose that we over charge but I like to see a blue spark from 1/4 mile and besides it teaches respect for the wire in only a lesson or two.
Just my two bits worth....asked for or not....Dave Mc

If you use the wire fence as a ground there is the good possibility a lightning strike to your wire fence would fry your fencer as there is a direct connection. A proper earth ground system should eliminate this possiblity.

I use 3 ground rods spaced 10 ft apart on the ground side and a lightning choke/arrester on the hot side. You will have the best results if you follow the fencer grounding instructions.

IMO-shortcuts building electric fence are the biggest culprits in poor performance.

Yes, you can use the wire fence as a ground. Lighting voltage will collect more often but you will be carrying your neutral with the hot in dry times good.
I am putting up elect around hay today using metal corral as ground. It is dry this is the only thing that will measure a ground. The rods not as good as the corral.

cowkeeper":2quq6xcs said:
I have a paige-wire fence, with a strand of electric in front of it. Can you ground with a wire from the fencer unit, attached onto the paige wire fence? I'm thinking all those fence posts would be grounds, the same as a dedicated ground-rod and clamp? Thanks.

Where is your original ground to your fencer located?

Latest posts