Calves getting out from my rotational grazing sub-paddocks

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
I have two permanent paddocks which I subdivide into furthur sub-paddocks with a single strand of electric using step-in posts.

It has usually worked well but occasionally (once a week or so) calves have been getting out of the sub-paddock.

I'm wondering if others use the same kind of system for rotational grazing? Do you use one or two temporary strands for your sub-paddocks?

I put my step in posts and create my sub-paddocks once a season in the spring and they stay till fall. It would not cost more for me to get an extra strand in most cases but I can't afford extra reels. They are too darn expensive. Only one of my strands actually has a reel hooked to it as I need to add / release tension on that one. The rest go up in the exact same place every year so just have handles at the two ends.

My sub-paddocks only use step-in posts with the Gallahger turbo wire. Pasture is in great shape. There is definitely lots of grass where they are. It is typically only calves that get through so I think that the odd time the wire is set too high or too low for a calf and it finds a way through - gets zapped on the way through and does not want to try to go back as it just got zapped.

canoetrpr

What problem is this creating with the calves getting out of the sub-paddocks? They are still in the main perimeter fence aren't they? I want my calves to eat the best of the forages available in order to grow fast and healthy while lessening the stress on the cows. Eventually the cows will be shifted to the adjoining sub-paddocks where they will eat the leftovers. If you want to contain all the animals you need to maintain not less than 3500 volts on all cross fences. Once the calves develop the habit of breaching the polywire it is hard to contain them. Lowes and WalMart sell cord reels for extension cords that will work for storing polywire at around $7 each. That is what I use for reels.

Hey thats a great idea for cord reels! My fences run at 7k volts so there is enough voltage there. I think a single strand just isn't enough.

The problem it creates is that the momma cows get all upset and mooing that their babies are not around :). Plus I'm obsessive. I like to keep all the cows in the sub-paddock they are supposed to be in!

Some of pur calves do that until they're maybe 2 weeks old, then it stops. It seems that electric fence really doesn;t have much menaing to them at that young of an age. We only had one calf that did it as he got older. You could hear the elctricity snap as the wire rubbed across his back as he went under the fence. We weaned him early and shipped him.
Most of our plywire fence is set at around 26 inches, the NRCS standard is 28-32 but that's too high. The 26 inch will keep bulls and calves in with no problem.

We don't worry about the calves too much. They will go back to their Mum's. As they get older they will stay on the right side of the wire. But as said above you have to make sure it is not too high for the calves to walk under without getting zapped.

I would have suggested check your voltage, but you reckon it's not that...

I train my calves with a tape (for greater visibility) fairly low to the ground, with the pegs put in at an angle to reduce the height. I'm not sure what height, ok, just checked & knee height is 16 inches so about there. After a few weeks of that they respect the fence at normal height, providing the power is high enough. I'm not sure if that's because they've grown into the fence height or because they've been well trained.
I don't know any electric fence that will stop very young calves.

regolith":159gf19x said:
I don't know any electric fence that will stop very young calves.
Doesn;t it seem to you that they appear to be immune to shock for the first week or so. I wonder if it may have to do with the softness of their hoofs or maybe their nervous system isn;t completely turned on.

No, they're not immune, they just don't know how to react to it.

I've seen many a day-old calf hit a fence and bellow and run straight through - I've seen others stumble into a fence and stand there bellowing with every shock till I used my rubber gumboot to push it off. Once they're a couple of weeks old they're fine - though if I let them out of the shed the first time at three to five weeks old there's always one or two get through the fence the first day. Most of them bounce off and don't touch the fence again, the one or two I put back never get out again.

The trouble with the extension cord rollers that I've tried is that they are not UV protected and break down after a few months in the sun.

nap":5kn3u2vo said:
The trouble with the extension cord rollers that I've tried is that they are not UV protected and break down after a few months in the sun.
What about a garden hose roller? I just use the ones that are meant for hotwire, I
ve got 6-7 of them. Most of them are about 12 years old and they still work perfectly. So even though they're pricey if you amortize it over their lifespan they're pretty reasonable. And having the ratchet stop on them is invaluable for tightening a fence and keeping it that way

I even drove over the side of one and broke it some years ago. Put it back together with epoxy and it's working just like all the others

nap

You are correct about the lack of UV protection on the newer reels. I have some older ones that have lasted for years. Until the UV thing is corrected return the reels for free replacement. I contacted Lowes and got a email response. Whether they do something about the issue is yet to be seen.