STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

Help Support CattleToday:

I drive my newer tractors 10+miles down the main highway all the time. When I see 4 or 5 cars behind me I pull over and let them by. One idiot that shouldn't be driving will cause all kinds of problems for everyone else, they'll either be a little old lady or black every time.

Lazy M":sga2rkrc said:
If you own a truck and trailer to haul with, anything over a mile or 3 is too far to drive the tractor. If you don't have a truck or trailer but could easily borrow or rent one, 10-15 miles would be my range. If you can't easily rent or borrow a truck/trailer 20-30 miles would be my limit.

A mile or 3 really!!???? That's crazy maybe you have lots of free time but by the time you hook up a trailer load the tractor chain it down then unload it you could have drove the tractor there and already be mowing hay. I would never get anything done doing that. I drive my tractors all summer long on the roads as far as about 15 miles from home. Sometimes I will haul a tractor to a field if Iam headed that way with the truck and trailer anyway.

It takes me 5 minutes or less to load and secure my tractor..

Son of Butch":fev03kfl said:
Ridgefarmer63":fev03kfl said:
As some of you might already know, we're looking to upgrade/increase the haying operation.
How far is too far to drive a tractor down the road?
18 miles maximum, but I know some do 40 miles.

lol.

I'm thinking 9.8 miles max ( That's how far away my biggest field is)

On place I hayed that was a bit farther away was drive the tractor and mower over then have wife come get me and then pull baler over with truck and pull mower back home with truck. Then it was just one trip with tractor.

From one end to the other it is probably 40mi of highways, back roads, and busy main roads on our row crop operation. All equipment is driven on the road.

I'd be very happy with 10mi

Y'all convinced me. I'm headin' down the road. Thanks for the input.

Now I just have to negotiate the terms with the landowner. She says the soils are very rich, we'll see.

Lazy M":2pvoiitc said:

Your quick. No way I could hitch up the gooseneck trailer, get the ramps down, drive the tractor up, dig out chains and binders, put 5 chains and binders on, put the ramps up and be in the driver seat of the truck in 5 minutes.

Maybe a lawn mower with little ratchet straps, but not a 18k lbs tractor.

chevytaHOE5674":1fsb4dmq said:
Lazy M":1fsb4dmq said:

Your quick. No way I could hitch up the gooseneck trailer, get the ramps down, drive the tractor up, dig out chains and binders, put 5 chains and binders on, put the ramps up and be in the driver seat of the truck in 5 minutes.

Maybe a lawn mower with little ratchet straps, but not a 18k lbs tractor.
Lots of practice

To each their own. If you can load up in 5 minutes and haul it around go for it. For me it's much easier too hook up the implement and drive to the field with the radio and ac on and get the tractor and implement their in one trip, no hooking up a trailer, no lifting chains/binders and ramps. Also no having to trailer the tractor and then go back for the implement in a 2nd trip.

I have a river that runs through the middle of the farm so the only way to get from one side to the other with wide equipment is to go out to the highway which is a 2 mile trip, if I loaded the tractor on a trailer every time I went from one side to the other that would be 5+ times a day on occasion.

id calculate how long it takes to get there rather than miles, depending on what tractor your driving and how crooked the roads are miles dont mean much, when i drive my old massey 35 to my buddys house 7 miles away it takes 45 minutes...... 45 long minutes

I followed a dang log skidder for about 5 miles down a state highway just last week. He would speed up a little, then start getting squirlly and have to slow back down and had traffic backed up 5 miles behind too. I'm not sure he was legal in any way because of his weight...wasn't a small skidder.

I have loaded and hauled a lot of equipment and I sure can't hook up my trailer, load, and secure it
to be legal in case you do get stopped, in 5 min. That's pretty fast I would like to see it done.

BRYANT":i8s89e5o said:
I have loaded and hauled a lot of equipment and I sure can't hook up my trailer, load, and secure it
to be legal in case you do get stopped, in 5 min. That's pretty fast I would like to see it done.
I said load and secure the tractor in 5 min, not hook up the trailer and load and secure tractor.. That might take me another couple mins..

Latest posts