Stuggling with new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JenLamb35

Reaction score
We had a breach calf 2 weeks ago that was around 80 pounds. He was doing well at first until we moved him and his Mom to our new pasture when he was a week old. He developed the scours and was very weak. We took him to the vet to get tube fed and treatment with Moticil (Doc indicated there could be pneumonia because of breach birth) and vitamins. We tube fed him 3 times and then he got to feeling better and nursed on his own. Buddy was doing really well for about three days and we thought we were over the hump (he was running and seemed perfect) and now he's back to being weak again and he has a really runny nose. He doesn't have an appetite again and he also has a very red and peeley nose. We tubed him last night and checked him this morning - nose is more runny now but he got up. He doesn't look like he's nursed overnight. When we tubed him last night, he threw up so he's got a little milk in him, but not much at all. Any suggestions on what to do?

Sorry to hear this. I wish I could be more help, but I don't have a clue. He he were mine, I would be back on the phone with the vet. Call a teaching vet hospital and ask them what they think. When we had sick calves, they were treated with small amounts over a week. Banamine (sp) for fever and inflammation was the best thing we gave them. If says for IV only, but our vet said to give it in the muscle in the neck.

Is his nose sun burned? I'm no expert and I don't know what moticil is but sounds like he needs a shot of draxxin or resflor(nuflor/banamine),as mentioned above.
At that age you need to keep some milk in him and try to keep him out of any bad weather.

I am thinking the previous fever he had might have peeled his nose? He's a baldy so he has pink around eyes and pink nose. Tonight when we got home from work, he looked beyond help. But we tubed him a quart of milk replacer and plan to get up at midnight and give him another quart if he's still with us. We didn't want to overload him. Again, if he holds on, we plan to get him to the vet first thing in the morning for an ear notch test to see if he has an underlying virus. His temp was 103.5 at 7:00 and the vet was closed already so out of desparation, I gave him some children's fever reducer liquid medicine. It broke his fever anyway. If this calf could get better on affection, he'd be the healthiest calf in our county. :(

We took Buddy to the vet this morning and the vet said there's no hope this time. We had to put him down. :( We did an ear notch test to send in and find out what it was and I'll let you all know when we get it back next week. Thanks for all the advice. We appreciate it.

Draxxin is a good idea ~ I would not use the resflor as it can cause diarrhea, and I can only believe he already has dehydration issues. I agree the peeling nose is from fever. The drainage from his nose ~ is it clear? Is yes, then I would not worry about it so much if at all. What I would suggest is a different antibiotic (draxxin is good) paired with banamine (very important, the banamine, and yes can be given IM). Finally, pull the milk replacer and get your calf on a supplemental hydration formula. Make sure it is "complete" so that your calf continues to get the calories it needs aside from the electrolytes. I would feed this to your calf for the next 3 days, INSTEAD OF milk replacer, not along with milk replacer. It is expensive, so I hate to suggest any longer, but it is VERY worth the money. I know it is not often possible, but offer the calf this is a bottle often throughout the day rather than in 2 or 3 feedings. Invest in a tube of probiotics as well ~ they are cheap, but necessary. Remember that sometimes they die and its not because of anything you did, they just die sometimes.

Good luck!! Been there, done this.

Thank you Angie for the suggestions. We lost Buddy this morning unfortunately, but I will definitely keep these points in mind for future reference. We have more calving left to go. I'm so glad I found this forum - I've learned so much through it with hearing from experienced "been there done that" people. Thank you!

You did everything you could, sorry about your loss.
Did you get the calf posted besides the ear notch.
The only thing i could add is a possible heart defect. The fact that the calf was running and hopping and then weak...signs of heart problems. Either a hole in the heart, faulty valve or poorly formed heart. In the last two years we have had two like this. One was very visible with a listen, the other dropped dead after being a week old showing no signs of problems. Learned how to post a calf and what to look for. (the vet was out for another matter and she and i posted it....she did the work, I watched and learned.

Latest posts