Stud horse with cows

Help Support CattleToday:

just learnin

Reaction score
I was told you can't put a stud in with cows,that they would try to mount the cows.

I have never heard this. Is there any truth to this?

They are in pasture, about 25 acres.

Our neighbors mare stays in our pasture with the cows.

You are taking a big risk when you put horses and cattle together. I wouldn't advise it although lots of folks do it with no problems.

I've seen both mares and geldings try to stomp baby calves right after birth. My belief is the hormonal smell gets them riled up.

Another problem is they are herd animals and when they get bored they seem to enjoy running the cows, which in my opionion is not a good thing although others don't see that as a problem.

I have nver seen or heard of a horse trying to mount a cow though.

I've got a 5 month old colt in with cows right now and no problems yet. Before I sold him I had a 3 year stud in with cows and not much going on there either. He even stayed with them through calving season. Although I'll have to say he was a stud horse like no other I've ever seen before. I kick myself everytime I think about the night I sold him. :x

Not sure where your at either but here in my area it's too dang hot for anybody to be doin any chasin. ;-)

just learnin":2cqgsbxz said:
I was told you can't put a stud in with cows,that they would try to mount the cows.

I have never heard this. Is there any truth to this?

They are in pasture, about 25 acres.

Our neighbors mare stays in our pasture with the cows.
you were told right the stud will mount the cow and if he makes contact its prolapse city. they will bring the whole works out im sure you know the anatomy of a horse is a bit different than a bull.if you think im BS'n ill give you a number too call of a feller that learned the hard way

I had a young stud donkey in with my cows for awhile, (they are said to keep coyotes and stray dogs away)
To make a long story short after he grew up he would try to mount cows.
He went for a one way ride.

I wouldn't do it, I agree with A6gal..I have a gelding and a mini in with my steers right now and they kinda stay to themselves but when I had Cows I caught him kickin at the claves and the silly mini would run em. Just my opinion but just the mere fact that he is a stud is bad no matter where he is if he gets a wiff of something in heat.

Randy

:lol:
CowpokeJ":2zjgmnha said:
Crowderfarms":2zjgmnha said:
The biggest danger is there's no market for CAB.

Certified

Appaloosa

Beef
They make a black appaloosa?

Why not, they make black everythign else these days. Of course if they did we know it would be worth more and taste better. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We had a neighbor who kept a stud with his cows for many years (until the horse died). I didnt hear of any problems with him, but I'm sure everyones situation is different. We used to keep our horses out with the cows until one of the mares started trying to "adopt" the calves. She hadn't ever had a foal before but wanted the calves for some reason. Now there is one pasture that we have the cows and some young horses in. Every once in a while we'll have a problem with the horses getting a wild hair up you know where and running the cows, but they really get along quite nicely. It's not a favorite thing to do, but only out of necessity.

We had to put our stud donkey in a different pasture as he was chasing the calves and being a real b*tthole. I wouldnt do it.

Lammie":2sboco8b said:
We had to put our stud donkey in a different pasture as he was chasing the calves and being a real b*tthole. I wouldnt do it.

You mean your donkey was acting like a Jackass? :lol: :lol:

some bigger ranch's keep horse's and cattle in the same pastures but they will group together and stay with the herds. but aint no way id gamble on the outcome of a single stud in with my cows. a prolasped cow on pasture can be deadly they can burst the artery and be dead before you can hollar uncle.

Latest posts