Stud Colt

Help Support CattleToday:

morrow7284

Reaction score
I have a 13 month old TN Walking Stud Colt, he has one testical that is visibale and the other is not. Should i be worried? I would think that he would have dropped both by now.

By no means am I a vet, but we just bought a yearling stud colt this summer and at the time he hadn't dropped his second testicle yet but has since we've owned him. Maybe call the vet and see what they say, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A "one nutted" stud horse is called a cryptorchid and YES!, he can be very fertile! This is an inherited genetic defect, usually coming from the dam's side. It is considered a fault with most breed associations and the animal cannot be registered as breeding stock.

If a colt has not dropped both testicles into the scrotum by nine months of age; it's a pretty sure bet that the horse will be a cryptorchid or monorchid (if both are missing).

The missing testicle is way up inside of the gut (sometimes as far up as the spinal area). The only way to find the testicle and geld the colt is to have a vet tranqualize the horse, lay him out on his back and go up into the body cavity to castrate him. Once the missing testicle is removed, the colt is like any other horse that has been gelded.

I agree with penridergirl. EXCEPT for the nine months of age part. I have severl colts that were twelve to thirteen months old before they dropped both testicles. Had a Freckles playboy colt that was 21 months before he dropped both. NO OFFENCE penrider.

No offense taken, Oscar P. I am using an average age of when colts drop their testicals. (Like when you catch four fish and three of them are two and one half pounds and one is one pound; the average is two pounds even though you haven't netted a two pound fish.)

I agree with which ever post asked if the person who requested the information ought to own a stallion. In my opinion, there are too many nice geldings still packing what they were born with. We have WAY TOO MANY stallions out there that aren't worth a bale of hay (even though they look good on paper), and they are kept as stallions because their owners are on an ego trip that they own a stallion(s). I've been there/done that.

With horse prices the way they are right now it is much cheaper to buy a good two or three year old than stand a stallion or take your good mare to a stallion and pay all the fees, wait until the foal is ready to ride and try to make a profit. :oops:

[/quote]

If the colt has a truley retained testicle that's one of many, many reasons they should not stand as a stud.

But many colts at that age and older will suck up one or both testicles for many reasons, it is hard to tell if they have two down or one useless you can feel with your fingers and that can be tough to tell also.

Alan

Why do you care about old one nut? Surely with all the available TN Walking Horse studs out there you aren't going to mess with keeping him a stud are you?

i had a colt that was high-flanked (cryptorchid) and my vet told me if he hadn't dropped by two years old he wouldn't drop. my vet says it's bad news to leave him like that and he needed to be gelded (was gonna do it anyways). i can't tell you the medical reasons why he said it should be done, he just said DON'T leave a colt like that.

i got lucky, during the gelding process, they didn't have to cut him open. after he was sedated, the vet tech squeezed him as hard as he could and it lowered the high testicle enough that the vet could get ahold of it, pull it down and snip-snip!! saved me about $200 according to the vet! that was good news, cause at the same time they were doing this, they were repairing an umbilical hernia. i've just started the little twerp under saddle, he'd better turn out nice for all the vet bills!!

It is interesting that your colt was cryptorchid as well as having an umbilical hernia. All of the colts (4) that one of my mares produced were both cryptorchid with umbilical hernias.

I kept one filly out of this mare and she, too, eventually produced a cryptorchid colt. However, this colt did not have the hernia.

it was interesting, it was something neither my wife or i had dealt with before, so we learned alot. i think another poster said that cryptorchid was hereditary, i wasn't aware of that, but i know that i was told the umbilical hernia is hereditary. so if all 4 out of one mare had both of them, i would assume both are hereditary conditions. have you found that the hernia bothered any of your colts later on? for a long time, my gelding was very sensitive to having his belly touched, but we have started him under saddle and he doesn't seem to care too much about the cinch.

We had all of the colts with hernias surgically corrected. One of my good friends is a vet so he just threw that service in when he removed the hidden testicle. I don't believe any of the colts were ever bothered by either problem. One went on to be a very successful novice cutting horse.

I do have a five year old mare from entirely different bloodlines with an umbilical hernia. Before I got her she packed a colt and gave a live birth without problems. Right now she is packing me around in the feedlot four days a week; sorting, climbing mounds, roping, going through mud, etc. and I havent' seen any problems with her. She's not cinchy either.

Latest posts