13 month old colt.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
I like the way this colt is developing, looking forward to riding him. Sired by Caught a Wink and out of Hairpin Tigress of the Sea. It was raining out.
10436673_701193923263146_8206090337697048188_n.jpg

10492150_701191883263350_4591943012640483003_n.jpg

10474901_701192486596623_4264189615142557234_n.jpg

10438510_701192893263249_3694761327903771229_n.jpg

nice colt.....

despite what he turned out to be, I credit Jim Leachman with introducing me to good western Hancock and Blue Valentine horses...followed the Hairpin cavvy up till the collapse of the empire....

branguscowgirl, that's what it looks like to me also, so far so good, a ways to go yet, but it's always nice when they are at least looking good. :)
MistyMorning, I haven't done a darn thing with him, I hate to say. I intend on getting him halter broke and some ground work done with him this summer.
LazyARanch, thats what we like to use here are the free moving ground covering type. The mare I am on below is the type I really enjoy riding, 15 one, a good whither, wants to go and cowy. :)

10500524_704152036300668_5409784844072730607_n.jpg

Keep us posted on his progress. I'm still debating whether or not to get a real young one to start myself or just leave that to the professionals! I have 2 older nags 18 and 20 who have been real good for me, trail riding only and have a few good years left. I like to read and hear about folks experiences training.

Dylan he sure looks like he can move. Great withers and plenty of muscle for a yearling. I love that pencil neck. Can't tell for sure from the pictures but he looks to be pretty straight.

Good luck with him..........he seems to have all the other tools cowy would sure be a bonus.

congrats on a good looking horse. He looks like he has a tremendous shoulder and hip and I love his topline. I like him a lot. Looking forward to seeing more photos of him in the future.
I looked up his sire. He certainly is cow-bred. I tried to look up the dam, but there isn't a horse registered with that name.

chippie said:
congrats on a good looking horse. He looks like he has a tremendous shoulder and hip and I love his topline. I like him a lot. Looking forward to seeing more photos of him in the future.
I looked up his sire. He certainly is cow-bred. I tried to look up the dam, but there isn't a horse registered with that name.[/quot
:)
The mare is in the process of being registered as we speak. Jim Leachman never paid the owners of the stallion for the service of the stallion. But that is getting looked after. The mares sire is Tiger of the Sea and her dam is Hairpin Eddies Topaz.

3waycross":z6m5hfv1 said:
Dylan he sure looks like he can move. Great withers and plenty of muscle for a yearling. I love that pencil neck. Can't tell for sure from the pictures but he looks to be pretty straight.

Good luck with him..........he seems to have all the other tools cowy would sure be a bonus.

Tahnk you for the kind remarks 3way, he is correct on his legs. He just seems like a very complete package for the kind of ranch horse I prefer. Time will tell. You are right about cowy being a bonus. He is definitely sheepy. Terrorizing ewes this winter head down on the ground cutting them out and chasing them all about. Little bastard! :)

MistyMorning":ebarcc19 said:
Keep us posted on his progress. I'm still debating whether or not to get a real young one to start myself or just leave that to the professionals! I have 2 older nags 18 and 20 who have been real good for me, trail riding only and have a few good years left. I like to read and hear about folks experiences training.

Worked him today a bit in a pen, got him facing up in about 20 minutes or so and he let me rub his cheek neck and shoulder on his left side. I called it good at that for today. :)

I hope that everything goes smoothly in getting him registered. It is fortunate that both parents are DNA typed. That will make it much easier.
He really is well bred. I would be happy to save the AQHA pedigrees and performance records of his parents if you would like them

chippie":1pldgol9 said:
I hope that everything goes smoothly in getting him registered. It is fortunate that both parents are DNA typed. That will make it much easier.
He really is well bred. I would be happy to save the AQHA pedigrees and performance records of his parents if you would like them

Chippie thank you for your offer, much appreciated. The pedigrees I can find on line at all breeds pedigrees. The performance records I am not sure where to find, if you have a suggestion I would be greatful. I am an AQHA member and I have been working with La Donna at the AQHA office, she is sending me a dma test kit for the mare and she seems confident since I have made an agreement with Mrs Steyskal and all the supporting documents and id brands are correct.

Here is a pic of the mare.

DSC_0541.jpg