stretching my hay...how far?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmomma

Reaction score
After I had my hay for the winter my kids decided to get 4-H heifers. So I went into the winter with less hay than I wanted. Last fall a man at church told me he'd sell me hay when I ran out....so I hadn't worried too much. Came near to running out though- and he said he used more of his hay than he figured he would. So ,he has none to sell.

We are understocked as far as cows to acreage and I have been stretching out my hay. We have had some stockpiled forage we are rotating them on and the grass is starting to grow here.

The cows are all head down eating what is there and they lay down to chew cud. There is no bawling unless I start the tractor for some other task. Then they all set up a fuss like they are about to starve out. :) They are not pushing the fences hard to get to the road ditches.

Main herd is mommas with calves born last fall so fairly early in their pregnancies. My maternity ward are the newest mommas and those due to calve. I am not pushing the maternity ward as hard. Should I pull out some of the momma's with calves that are midpregnancy and put them in the maternity ward so they get more? Or I could move them in on a case by case basis. They look thinner than after the flush of good grass but they all have heft in the brisket area.

What signs should I be looking for to tell if I am pushing them too hard? I read on another thread that ther is a bre minimum they need to eat ....not what they want. How do I determine the differnce?

Two years ago I didn't feed hay after March 10th....but that was a milder winter. Last year also mild and didn't feed after March 20th.

You didn't mention whether or not you have any mineral feeders or lic tubs out for them.
Watch your fence. When they start pushing it any harder that is telling you that it is time to start babying them by giving them more hay.Especially if they are walking it all the time and it is grazed completely bare on the other side.
Our cows chase my husband on his tractor even when they are on green grass, they think he is bring them some ground barley.
As long as you can see some fat over their pelvic bone and on their brisket and their ribs are standing very prominant they should be fine. Do you body score them?

They have a protein tub that has minerals and they have salt. They also get enough range cubes to keep them friendly...about 2# each a day. I don't know how to body score...I have heard of it but just don't know what the perimeters are. Thanks for your reply.

I looked in the archives to learn about body condition scoring. Thanks fo that tip. I learned alot! Going into fall they were probably mostly 7's. Now they are probably 5's....definately not lower. So I think they will be ok. Thanks so much!

They are not walking the fences...they are head down. I might be setting my pasture back some but the one they are on will probably be a neighborhood come summer :( .

Cowmomma, make sure you have magnesium oxide out for them. The ones with 200 lb and larger calves are especially susceptible to grass tetnae when the grass greens up. Sounds like your cows are in an ideal situation for grass tetnae with them chasing all that little green grass. Good luck

Latest posts