strectching barbed wire ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
O.K. we are totally new at this so bear with me. I was at my sister's new farm today trying to help them run a barbed wire strand on the top of their existing fence. Is it as simple as going from corner to corner and having very good anchors? We are having trouble figuring out how to attach it at each corner and keep it tight and attach at the same time.

tncattle":1lc3qm4y said:
O.K. we are totally new at this so bear with me. I was at my sister's new farm today trying to help them run a barbed wire strand on the top of their existing fence. Is it as simple as going from corner to corner and having very good anchors? We are having trouble figuring out how to attach it at each corner and keep it tight and attach at the same time.

Tie it on both ends, tighten the wire and tie it in the middle then.......................................... ;-)

tncattle":pfyzzg0k said:

Tie / twist wire to end post and anchor with 4 or 5 staples. Stretch the wire down to the other end post. Get a wire stretcher from Co-Op (I think it is called a Mule). Attach a come-along to something stable (tree, truck, other fence post etc.) on the other side of the end post and then stretch your wire past the end post to desired tension. Fasten with staples and release the come-along pressure. Wrap the tail of the wire around the post and twist together with the tensioned wire. Add more staples and "wallah" you are ready to attach the barb wire to your T-Posts or line posts in between. I know that is sketchy but that is the best I can do without showing you. BE CAREFULL TO NOT OVER TIGHTEN AND BREAK THE WIRE. It can get ugly if it snaps while you are touching it or real near it.

Are you using a fence puller/stretcher? How long between anchors? I just finished building 3,000ft of 5 strand barb and I've looked at a lot of diffrent ones to see how they were built. Their are all kinds of tricks to get the wire tight but I'm not sure what your doing or using to get it tight right now.

HOSS":1ffw9gnx said:
tncattle":1ffw9gnx said:

Tie / twist wire to end post and anchor with 4 or 5 staples. Stretch the wire down to the other end post. Get a wire stretcher from Co-Op (I think it is called a Mule). Attach a come-along to something stable (tree, truck, other fence post etc.) on the other side of the end post and then stretch your wire past the end post to desired tension. Fasten with staples and release the come-along pressure. Wrap the tail of the wire around the post and twist together with the tensioned wire. Add more staples and "wallah" you are ready to attach the barb wire to your T-Posts or line posts in between. I know that is sketchy but that is the best I can do without showing you. BE CAREFULL TO NOT OVER TIGHTEN AND BREAK THE WIRE. It can get ugly if it snaps while you are touching it or real near it.[/quot

O.K. that does seem to make sense, I think I get it now.
Thanks!

Txwalt":2h8b3qgf said:
Are you using a fence puller/stretcher? How long between anchors? I just finished building 3,000ft of 5 strand barb and I've looked at a lot of diffrent ones to see how they were built. Their are all kinds of tricks to get the wire tight but I'm not sure what your doing or using to get it tight right now.

We are using a fence puller and the longest section is about 50 yds. We are doing this one where their goats will be, we haven't started on the pasture where the cattle will be yet.

HOSS":2kzefe5d said:
tncattle":2kzefe5d said:

Tie / twist wire to end post and anchor with 4 or 5 staples. Stretch the wire down to the other end post. Get a wire stretcher from Co-Op (I think it is called a Mule). Attach a come-along to something stable (tree, truck, other fence post etc.) on the other side of the end post and then stretch your wire past the end post to desired tension. Fasten with staples and release the come-along pressure. Wrap the tail of the wire around the post and twist together with the tensioned wire. Add more staples and "wallah" you are ready to attach the barb wire to your T-Posts or line posts in between. I know that is sketchy but that is the best I can do without showing you. BE CAREFULL TO NOT OVER TIGHTEN AND BREAK THE WIRE. It can get ugly if it snaps while you are touching it or real near it.
If-I mean when-it breaks, splice it and start over. :lol:

On the shorter sections (where gates and creeks made the h-post close together). We would put a piece of rebar in the wire and twist it to tighten it up. When we were mending fence and the wire seemed too far apart we would put cedar stays in. Instead of wiring them in we just wove them in the wire. Too me this made more sense than wiring them in. It tighted up the wire considerably and was like adding a post. I have several friends that had goats. Good luck keeping them in. Thats why they had goats. ;-)

Walt

I put my fence in with friends and family. We had a good time. I hope you do too.

In a good fence there should be 5 post in the corners 3 each direction... and 2 at 200-250 feet mark in the line post...should have a cross brace ( makes a H) with brace wire doing a X ,over top of the H...Can use 3 polls in corners , makes 2 in line in each driction but 3 is better....I like telephone poles cut into 8 foot length, dug in 32 inchs, with small rock around them...The rock is better then quick creat., and a hole lot better than dirt.....You can buy a wire strecher a coop , (thing is great) takes alittle practice but can pull heavy gage wire in to...Works best with to people... I use to use a comealong,the hand tool is far better.....

tncattle":285mi7fy said:

Get a set of goldenrods, wrap the wire around one end post 2 or 3 times, then back on itself (the end posts must be bigger than the inline posts, and sunk deeper in the ground to bear the pressure - they must also be set fairly close together - maybe 4-5', with an inline post positioned horizontally between the end posts to brace. Put the brace about chest high at the top, and use wire running from the top of one corner brace to the bottom of the other corner brace, then twisted tight - handles of fence pliers work well for this - to keep the brace in place), string the wire, and - depending on how long the fence is - stretch it at a couple of points (for a 1/2 mile of fence, we stretch it once in the middle, and again at the opposite end) in the middle, and at the opposite end post. The goldenrods will fit around the end post. Stretch the wire and, before you release the goldenrods at the opposite end post, wrap the wire 2 or 3 times around the end post, then wrap it back on itself. After you release the goldenrods, anchor the wire with a staple on each side of the post. If you run out of wire and have to splice, make a loop in one end of the wire (again, wrapping it back on itself), thread the end of the other piece through the loop, and wrap it back on itself. Goldenrods work very well for this, but release carefully because splices have been known to break and can mess you up big time.

Txwalt":37ie3cys said:
On the shorter sections (where gates and creeks made the h-post close together). We would put a piece of rebar in the wire and twist it to tighten it up. When we were mending fence and the wire seemed too far apart we would put cedar stays in. Instead of wiring them in we just wove them in the wire. Too me this made more sense than wiring them in. It tighted up the wire considerably and was like adding a post. I have several friends that had goats. Good luck keeping them in. Thats why they had goats. ;-)

Walt

I put my fence in with friends and family. We had a good time. I hope you do too.

Yeah, I'm buying their buck and I'm nervous about him getting out.

tncattle,there are lots of ways to stretch fence,I use a come along and clamps when I build fence, and a fence stretcher for patching fence.
Tie one end of your wire to your post,by makin at least a couple turns and twisting tight,take the other end to the other post wrap it around the post,take your come along with a clamp and attach it to the wire at the post,take the other end of the come along with clamp and attach it to the wire several feet from the post,as you can see,you have a half loop around your post and you can use the wire itself for a pull point,........pull tight,but not too tight ,staple the wire at post,let loose your come along and cut the wire to a length that will wrap your post,I like to untwist mine ,and remove the barbs,just wraps better and looks better,makes a neater wrap..............good luck
PS I use this same method for pipe posts,except I make a full wrap at the pull post and use an oil can to oil it as I pull,when its tight I use a 6 or 8 inch "C" clamp to hold the wire tight till I can cut and wrap.

For goats, I'd use woven wire with a strand of barbed wire on top to discourage jumping. Especially if you are going to breed the goats. The kids are pretty sneaky.

I've stretched many a strand of barbwire with nothing more than a good clawhammer. Course, with this method I only stretch about 30 ft. at a time.

The little fence stretchers that work like an old bumper jack are excellent. Get the wire taught, walk it out and pull away from the fence in the middle, then get another pull.

I've just used a rachet strap with one end hooked to the tractor and the other end hooked to a loop I made in the wire. I just raise up the 3 pt to the level I'm putting the wire at and hook the strap there and tighten. I suppose if I was stringing more stuff I could use a come-a-long

I use the front end loader with a come-along. that way I can raise the wire to the 54" height. first I take the slack out by backing the tractor and the final tension comes from the come-along. Gives me some feel for the tension too.

tn.
I use my tractor with a boom pole, mounted on the 3 pt. hitch
to stretch wire. I connect the come along to the boom pole ,the cable end of the comealong is then attached to a cam style wire pulling clamp, which holds the wire to be stretched. The boom pole can then be raised or lowered while stretching, to adjust the wire height. If you dont have a tractor, you can attach a chain to a tree or truck to do the stretching. The wire pulling clamp is easy to use and has an eye for connecting a comealong or stretcher. They can be found at tractor supply or co-op.

Goats are crafty SOB's and once they find an escape hatch, you can guarantee they will continue to go back til you fix it. And after you fix it, they will test it and find someplace else.

We've got 3 fields fenced for goats, we used 5', graduated square field fencing, with two strands of electric. Hasn't failed us yet. Cost us a bit more, but in the long run, I'm not chasing goats anywhere.

Good luck with the barbed wire. I'm curious to hear how they do. What breed of goats?

CowgirlUpNY":3gmqcazo said:
Goats are crafty SOB's and once they find an escape hatch, you can guarantee they will continue to go back til you fix it. And after you fix it, they will test it and find someplace else.

We've got 3 fields fenced for goats, we used 5', graduated square field fencing, with two strands of electric. Hasn't failed us yet. Cost us a bit more, but in the long run, I'm not chasing goats anywhere.

Good luck with the barbed wire. I'm curious to hear how they do. What breed of goats?

Kikos, the fence they have is the one with little squares about 5x5 inches I guess.

Latest posts