Strange this year

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We've only had 2 calves so far this year but I noticed that they aren;t bagging up tight before calving. The vet mentioned yesterday that he's seeing the same thing. Kind of throws one of the usual indicators of impending delivery out the window!

nutrition? Sire? or just random no known reason.
It's one of the peculiar things I've noticed about my cows in calf to Brown Swiss, they don't bag up till sometimes just a day or two before calving. Then the daughters did they same, they look like late calvers and calve early.

regolith":9j7k1idq said:
nutrition? Sire? or just random no known reason.
It's one of the peculiar things I've noticed about my cows in calf to Brown Swiss, they don't bag up till sometimes just a day or two before calving. Then the daughters did they same, they look like late calvers and calve early.
Not just here, it's other farms in the area. The 2 that claved so far here one is first calver the other this is her fourth calf. They appear to half plenty of milk, just not getting tight like expected.

Red Bull Breeder":1rfkde4c said:
Got one that is six days past her due date, she is plenty springy but not bagging up as tight as she should either dun.
We have 2 that are past due (due the 18th) and nothing but goo so far. Thecow that calved was 5 days early had a bull the heifer was 2 days early and had a heifer. Maybe we just haven;t had crappy enoutgh weather for them to drag it out waiting for the worst days so they don;t bag up waiting for it to hit. Not for us but the vet also commented on the high percentage of twins he found preg checking. One herd he checked that has never had a twin had over 10% of the girls palped to be carrying twins.

I've had more respiratory problems with cattle this year than I can remember. It's also been the mildest winter I recollect. I can't help but think these weather swings play a big part. First spring calf showed up unannounced on 17th. At least 2 weeks early. 18th around 60 degrees. 19th 8" of snow with p.m. temps dropping into 20's.

fitz

My first one came 6 days early. I was not surprised as he has the genetics for that. She also never did bag up tight. Now I have at least 6 AI calves due today thru Sat. None of those cows are tick tight but are spring pretty loose. The one I am most concerned about has a bag but is not springing. I am thinking she just missed on the AI and will calves in another 3 weeks or so. She could also have done another one of those 10 days past AI heats like I had last year.

Aw heck I can't figure these old bags out. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I get! :frowns:
Hopefully it's live calves. AI sires would just be a bonus :banana:

fitz":3qcrr2n3 said:
I've had more respiratory problems with cattle this year than I can remember. It's also been the mildest winter I recollect. I can't help but think these weather swings play a big part. First spring calf showed up unannounced on 17th. At least 2 weeks early. 18th around 60 degrees. 19th 8" of snow with p.m. temps dropping into 20's.

fitz

Same here fitz.. more respiratory problems than in the past, but my cows are calving really well. Not having a bag problem as dun is having,
dun, I think you may be right, they might be expecting some harsh, bitter cold weather or deep snow to calve in ! :nod:

Are's haven't calved yet, but there is 2 hiefers with a vulva plunty big to have a calf at any time, but her bag is not tight yet either.
Playin a game of chance.

3waycross":33oot8wu said:
My first one came 6 days early. I was not surprised as he has the genetics for that. She also never did bag up tight. Now I have at least 6 AI calves due today thru Sat. None of those cows are tick tight but are spring pretty loose. The one I am most concerned about has a bag but is not springing. I am thinking she just missed on the AI and will calves in another 3 weeks or so. She could also have done another one of those 10 days past AI heats like I had last year.

Aw heck I can't figure these old bags out. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I get! :frowns:
Hopefully it's live calves. AI sires would just be a bonus :banana:
I've been seeing a lot of bagging up but not springing this year. They will be tight and bagged up one day, then swell for a day or two and drop a calf. There are from cows I have had for several years that usually spring for a few weeks.

Mine also haven't been bagging-up like they usually do. I know it's thrown me off a bit. I go out checking cows, back ends look loose and floppy, they've got 'the walk' but not the usual bag, so I think, "hmm, getting close but not as close as I thought" then next thing you know 'sploop' there's a calf----right on schedule. I

I'm thinking its the weather/winter we're having. I'm also seeing lower birthweights.

FWIW you're not alone dun.

Katherine

Had another Balancer bull calf this morning. She never was strutted in her teats, just kinda full. Got 2 more that look a lot like her so we'll see!

Talked to a friend of mine today about this thread. He says he saw that one year when they had real high protein hay. Now if a fella was drouthy would that not make the hay grow slower and be more potent than usual. Kinda makes sense. He told me they was drouthy that year and the hay was so hi protein that it made their horses sick.

Now that might have something to do with it 3way. I started feeding Soybean meal to my cows this year for supplement, and if they had a high pro. hay then that would mean they would be getting more then needed and they might not be make a big bag for that reason. It's going to be some rich milk this year then...LOL

Strange year?? I don't think I can take another "strange year" the last three have about done me in. My calving last year was messed up so the breed back was too. Don't have anyone due till June :? Hopefully I can get things back on track this year.

even with this drought that we have had a few heifers are bagging super tight.but i dont think the cows are bagging tight.a few years ago i had a cow that would not bagg till she went into labor to calve.

I too am experiencing the cows not bagging up much either. From the back side, they look like calving any day but no full bag. I had my first spring calf yesterday, she was as you have been discribing here. I don't know much about the high protein hay, but I have been feeding high protein supplemental tubs. The cows have had one in front of them since November. The calf is healthy, but about average size compared to the fall calves.

Curious, would the higher protein make for larger calves?

Latest posts