Strange this year

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3j6u59q6 said:
We've only had 2 calves so far this year but I noticed that they aren;t bagging up tight before calving. The vet mentioned yesterday that he's seeing the same thing. Kind of throws one of the usual indicators of impending delivery out the window!
Had one Sunday that made me feel like a fool... Some have been having problems with bloat around here was the main reason I spent an hour looking for her. Found her off to herself, standing up chewing her cud, no apparent bloat problems. Check for calving and she didn't look close at all. Toldl myself, maybe in a couple weeks.....WRONG Checked here again Monday morning and she had a nice heifer. This is the only one that has done that. Everything else has been readily noticable that they were getting ready to calve.

Problems with bloat and calving can go hand in hand. The rumen, udder, and uterus are all controlled by smooth muscle contraction so if you're seeing changes with one of them it's not uncommon to have problems with the rest of them.

heath":2ykpndtj said:
I'm just having too many heifers. 10 out of 12 so far have been heifers. Thankful that heifer prices have been strong.
Last year we ran 6:1 bulls. Only had 3 so far this year but 2 are heifers.

Well, I'm still 2 weeks away from calving, but I've got some observations that are probably worth nothing to you that I'll mention anyhow... I have 2 first time heifers, and they aren't due until at least mid march, one of them is supposed to calve on the 28th for that matter, but both of them have already started the pudding-butt a week or two ago, the later of the two is getting an udder (not imminent though) that is considerably more noticable than the earlier one. The older cows all have completely empty bags and no pudding butt, and those are usually the ones that get it first. I'm not sure what to expect at this point. I'm going to take them up from the field at the last possible moment so that they keep getting exercise walking to the water trough. With the later-calving heifer, I have some worries of the BW of her calf if indeed she was bred when I though she was and if she has 5 weeks left to go, she is going to be one round girl by then. Fortunately she's a good size (1300 lb) and comes from a line that has never needed help calving.

Last summer wasn't a particularly hot one, actually cooler than most, though we had a nice warm fall (first frost on Oct 20th, which is late for here). I'll take a couple pics of the heifers this weekend, before and after they've eaten lol

Was yacking with the vet the other day and mentioned that our calves are lot smaller then normal. He said he's seen it that way too. He "thinks" he agrees with my idea that it's becuase of the warmer then normalwinter so the blood isn;t being redirected internally as much as in a colder winter

had first one 4 days early all the cows/heifers are holding tight in there bags but show all other signs swelling in the back and oozeing so there on the way hope bags drop alittle. but Dun its up this way also....

I was at the IL Beef expo fri. night and today, got back and had a 45# black bull on a first time heifer that looked like two weeks ago she was going to have it, but no tight bag till her bag had filled out more when I found her tonight.
Strange year for sure.

CKC1586":136tjkoz said:
Strange year?? I don't think I can take another "strange year" the last three have about done me in. My calving last year was messed up so the breed back was too. Don't have anyone due till June :? Hopefully I can get things back on track this year.
Strange stuff....could not/ cannot get logged in to Cattle Today...had to verify I was human etc... still no success in frustration I registered again with a new handle. Guess it will continue to be strange.

dun":2ffbcftl said:
Was yacking with the vet the other day and mentioned that our calves are lot smaller then normal. He said he's seen it that way too. He "thinks" he agrees with my idea that it's becuase of the warmer then normalwinter so the blood isn;t being redirected internally as much as in a colder winter

How much calf wt. difference to you see from a cold/average/warm winter?

Stocker Steve":33kpd05u said:
dun":33kpd05u said:

How much calf wt. difference to you see from a cold/average/warm winter?
This year they're running about 12 pounds lower then in previous years. But that's only for 3 calves so far here. I'll know about the fourth one later today. If I think of it the next time I run into the vet I'll ask him what he's seeing.

Well the pattern changed a bit yesterday. Cow was in that wandering pre labor stage yesterday morning. As she wandered around you could actually watch her udder fill. By the time she layed down to calve her teats were strutted and her udder was shiny full.

dun":1xyp4of4 said:
Well the pattern changed a bit yesterday. Cow was in that wandering pre labor stage yesterday morning. As she wandered around you could actually watch her udder fill. By the time she layed down to calve her teats were strutted and her udder was shiny full.

Isn't that what we have been saying though. They don't seem to be bagging up much ahead of time like they usually do.

3waycross":agksegrd said:
dun":agksegrd said:

Isn't that what we have been saying though. They don't seem to be bagging up much ahead of time like they usually do.
Yes, but the others I've seen in labor hadn;t bagged at all. By the time the calf finsihed it's first meal they started really bagging. I've never actaully seen an udder go from hardly anything to tight and strutted in a matter of hours.

dun":1xtp441f said:
3waycross":1xtp441f said:
dun":1xtp441f said:

Yes, but the others I've seen in labor hadn;t bagged at all. By the time the calf finsihed it's first meal they started really bagging. I've never actaully seen an udder go from hardly anything to tight and strutted in a matter of hours.

I have. Individuals vary of course... seen this sort of thing twice and both instances were a herd of underfed cows, like, about 2/3 of their feed requirement. One was a farm where we pulled a few calves, the owner decided we were overfeeding the cows and should cut them back, calving was nearly over so I didn't argue, just did it and the cows immediately stopped springing tight before calving.
And I know for sure that you guys aren't all doing that to your herds... so it's something else, or it's in the composition of the feed rather than the quantity they're getting.

Well I will be this weeks guinea pig. One of my most reliable cows is springing now. However her bag is just "full" not strutted for sure. I was watching her this morning and what with her licking her side and acting kinda weird I believe she will go in the next 24 hours. She is far from tight uddered tho.

Our cows are carrying way more flesh than in typical years, due to the mild winter. As for springing and bagging up, seem to be a bit delayed here too. Birthweights are normal, heifers to bull ration pretty much 50/50.

Had another calf this morning and the cow didn;t bag hardly at all till after she had been sucked down once.

Latest posts