Strange lizard

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is a stranger lizard. It has no legs. And Ryder, for the record, it is NOT a snake. Even though its called one. It's a leg less lizard called the glass snake. This one is a decent sized one.
photo-185.jpg

Probably the biggest I've ever seen. It's neat how their tail will come off, surprised he didn't lose it picking him up.

hooknline":3jnwla34 said:
This is a stranger lizard. It has no legs. And Ryder, for the record, it is NOT a snake. Even though its called one. It's a leg less lizard called the glass snake. This one is a decent sized one.
photo-185.jpg

They got some in central Texas that get up and run on their hind legs.
It just aint normal. Seen them deer hunting out of Mason, couldn't hardly deer hunt for messing with lizards.

ga.prime":ev8iqhn2 said:
Those have gotten pretty rare here. I haven't seen one in 45 years.
We're in an area that is still very natural by florida standards. The rattlers, corals, rat snakes, everything is bigger than other areas. We even have a resident population of indigos. Those are te coolest ones but we try not to mess with them so they don't get pushed out

Now that you guys mention it we don't see too many of those around here...... I remember seeing them when I was younger.

hooknline":299qtq0w said:
We even have a resident population of indigos. Those are te coolest ones but we try not to mess with them so they don't get pushed out
The Indigos are cool snakes. They're all gone from here. I had a herpetologist/naturalist guy come here a few years ago with a Labrador retriever that was trained to sniff out Indigos. The dog would sit at the entrance to a gopher tortoise hole when he smelled one. After we had shown the dog about 100 holes he finally sat at one. The herpetologist ran a camera attached to the end of a 40 foot long flexible rotor rooter looking thing down in the hole but all we saw at the end was a gopher.

I'm about fed up with the gophers but at the same time they provide alot of habitat for other animals.
Dead eye caught a king snake that i swear wasn't 5 inches long. Neat little thing. Kept striking at us like he was a bad mofo

But so do the indigos.its a known risk. Being that that the gophers are protected I usually try to not run over the dens as I drive the fields. But sometimes it happens.

Here is an Indigo that I took a picture of last fall. He's not a big one only about 4 1/2 ft. I have see them over 7 foot. I have never killed an indigo and never will. There is just something about them that makes them cool snakes to see. Sorry it's not a better picture but he took off just as I was getting ready to take the picture.
IMAG0496.jpg

I don't think that I've ever seen one of those legless lizards.

Am I crazy to remember one of the glass snakes, we called them, this far north. Seems I was about 12 or so, and a friend and I found one and remember the tail breaking off. Dad said it was a glass snake. This was before the late 60's so I'm sure I wasn't stoned. Were they this far north? gs

Very cool. I have heard those called legless skinks also. You can tell by the shape of it's head and mouth that it isn't a snake. It sure is a big one.
The only snakes that get killed here are cotton mouths. I have chicken or rat snakes in the barn and do not have any problems with rats or mice.

Thanks for sharing the pic.