Strange Night

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Been rather weird around here. You know that 6th sense that tells you something is just not right, well both mine and my husbands has been bugging us.
Son was out riding his 4-wheeler and saw something out in our pasture, all the cows are here at home. He noticed that it was black and it moved fast.
Had a cow calve a few days ago that was completely off her rocker. She kept spinning around then going back to licking her calf. Tried to take my husband, but once we got her in the barn she calmed down.
Got the .357 pistol out to check cows tonight.
Anybody else get that feeling?

I've had that feeling before out hunting hogs at night (but I also tend to freak myself out a little anyway) Some of those nights I just can't get back to the house quick enough.

I had that strange feeling one night, thought I heard something outside the tent, Sure enough a big old Griz tore open the side of the tent. :shock: :help: I'm glad I had a rifle, purty sure a couple shots saved me. Couple days later I heard about a hunter killed by a Grizzly in the same area. No, I didn't shoot at the bear, but if he wouldn't have left the next shots were going into him. :cowboy:

I luv herfrds":2k86zxta said:
Been rather weird around here. You know that 6th sense that tells you something is just not right, well both mine and my husbands has been bugging us.
Son was out riding his 4-wheeler and saw something out in our pasture, all the cows are here at home. He noticed that it was black and it moved fast.
Had a cow calve a few days ago that was completely off her rocker. She kept spinning around then going back to licking her calf. Tried to take my husband, but once we got her in the barn she calmed down.
Got the .357 pistol out to check cows tonight.
Anybody else get that feeling?

Sounds like you got a big cat in your area, the only partial cougar I ever saw was very dark brown, not black, but very dark.

Alan

ILH, I most definitely have had those experiences. Not often though. I used to spend a lot of time out in the woods, with just the dog with me and most days I just ambled along no big deal. Once in awhile it felt like something was watching me and the dog would not leave my side. Kinda spooky.

mnmt, now that is a scary scary story! :shock:

Alan we haven't had a cat come through in awhile, but we have been seeing a growing number of wolves.
Everytime I left the house I had the pistol with me.

A few weeks ago a big cat crossed the road not 50 yards in front of me. I asked the neighbors if they had seen anything like this and was told their horses had been nervous and carrying on and their dogs had been barking a lot at night. One of them found a big paw print in their drive after a rain. Of course, this couldn't have been a florida panther as our fish and wildlife folks say we don't have these cats here so it must have been a barn cat on steroids.

I luv herfrds":2xid8mhb said:
Alan we haven't had a cat come through in awhile, but we have been seeing a growing number of wolves.
Everytime I left the house I had the pistol with me.

I didn't think about wolves, being from Oregon, I don't know much about their habits. But I would think they would move quick and look dark. I don't know what I would rather run into at dusk, a pack of wolves or a lone cougar .... not much of a choice :shock: . Oregon has had a couple of wolf sightings in the N.E. corner of the state, but our big cat population is going nuts, thanks to the ban on using dogs to hunt them a few years ago.

Take care,
Alan

Alan":3f8eww4x said:
our big cat population is going nuts, thanks to the ban on using dogs to hunt them a few years ago.

Take care,
Alan

At least you can still hunt them. CA screwed up that deal years ago