Some people are strange

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I shot a coyote this morning on the dairy farm that I hunt. Long shot of about 350 yards. I hit the coyote a bit to far back through the guts. He went down, got up and ran all hunched up across the 40 yards to the property line and died 20 yards on the other side on a neighbors property. No fence separating the properties just a small 2ft drainage ditch. I could have easily stepped over and walked the 20 yards and hauled wiley back since it was the backside of a 700 acre farm and no one would see me but I always try to respect the landowners neighbors and I feel like I am a representation of the landowner and try to project high ethics, safety etc. Anyway I drive around to the neighbors house and he was out by his barn. I introduced myself and told him that I had been removing coyotes for his neighbor and that I had shot one that went over on the back corner of his property and died. I asked if it would be ok to walk over there to retrieve it because I didn't want to leave a buzzard attractor in his field. He said 'absolutley not' under no circumstances was I to go on his property. He said he hates coyotes and was glad it was dead but hated people on his property worse. I told him that I really didn't want the coyote that I was just wanting to do the right thing and get it out of his hay field as I am sure his bailer would pick up the bones. I apologized for bothering him and bid him good day. He never responded just turned his back on me. I just got in my truck and left. I guess if he really wants a stinking, gut shot coyote rotting in his field he is welcome to it because I sure didn't want it. I have been refused access to cross property before many times in my life but it was always been in a cordial, polite manner. This guy was either having a very bad day or he was one of the biggest curmudgeons that I ever met.

Hoss, 20 years ago I went to this preachers house to ask if I could hunt his land. He told me " I don't want no damm buddy on my land." Now we are good friends and we hunt his land like it's our own. I would talk to him next year before I go hunting, he might of been having a bad day. Were you shooting your 6mm??

highgrit":21wyc75b said:
Hoss, 20 years ago I went to this preachers house to ask if I could hunt his land. He told me " I don't want no damm buddy on my land." Now we are good friends and we hunt his land like it's our own. I would talk to him next year before I go hunting, he might of been having a bad day. Were you shooting your 6mm??
No....today I was hunting with my new .223 Rem. I just talked with Billy, the guy who owns the land I am hunting on. He said that his neighbor is a real a-hole. They have lived side by side for 30+ years and the neighbor has talked to him less than 10 times and then it was just a minimum of words. He said his neighbor sure doesn't mind trespassing on him without asking when running coon hounds or riding his UTV. The guy has 700 acres and wants to ride on Billy's land. Billy doesn't really care as long as it is on the farm roads and not through his fields. He said he has invited his neighbor over for coffee several times and most of the time he doesn't even acknowledge the invite. The only thing he can figure is that this guy wanted to buy a strip of land from Billy's dad years ago and his dad said he wasn't interested in selling and the guy got mad when later a gas company had drilled a gas well on it and Billy's dad made allot of money.

Sounds like he spent a good many years living in a subdivision before moving to the country. The only other alternative is he is just a natural born tail hole. Either way misery loves company, he meant to ruin your day. It upset him worse by not making you mad. Maybe he learned a lesson watching you handle yourself.

He might have had a liquor still back there and he knew your type and didn't want a half gallon or so to go missing.

He might be so tired of people wanting something from him that he treats them all like crap until he has a reason not to. :frowns: I get that way myself. My list of "friends" doubled when I started leasing ground up in the hills and my excuse was always that the landowner didn't want hunters in there. Then when I bought something of my own all of the people I'd already said "no" to came around again as well as a bunch of new ones... some of which I've never even met...
They all know how to shoot, they all know everything there is to know about pigs, deer, and coyotes, and none of them know a D*** thing about cows, fixing fence, unplugging a springbox(even though it would work in THEIR favor) etc. Since they dodn't KNOW anything, they make mistakes that don't matter to them but matter to me ALOT.
I like to see people do what they want but if you want to see me turn into a royal pri@$ in a hurry, ask me if you can come hunt, shoot something if you see it from the neighbors' property, cross my place to get to one you think you may have hit, etc. I've quit even trying to be polite about it and I'm a pretty easy going guy. The answer is just flat "NO" and I hate being that way almost as bad as they hate hearing it.

I charge my customers per pregnancy. :frowns:
You can come hunt with me though on the days when I get to go screw around up there without doing a bunch of work which was about three days this last year. :D

With my luck those 3 days you're open will be oct 1, nov 1, and dec 1. As much as I would love to ill have to pass. Lol