Strange day at the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
I'm moving to a set calving season. So today I take 3 cows to the sale who don't meet the mark.
As the last one entered the ring they told me the vet said she had a calf in the last day.
I wanted to contest it. She had her last calf January of 2015. Hate it took me this long to get her to the sale. She had no evidence of calving. But after getting a bit scolded by the little lady assigning pen numbers I said I have no way to get her home. An issue with my truck prevented me from bringing another load.
So I went out and ask a friend to bring her back who was loading. I go home and walk the area. No sign of a calf. I hear them pull in my pasture and unload. So I walk back up to her. She is a Char that has a Holstein bag when she calves. She went straight to water and then grazing. No a single bellar for a calf yet. 3 hours or better as I post.
So did they mix numbers? I don't know a lot about abortions. Could this be it?
She hasn't changed in belly size or bag size. And of course you have the one jerk on your way out who screams " get her home to that calf and you can get the money to fix your truck!"

Stillborn calf possibly? I still would think she would be looking or standing over the calf if this were the case. Possible that the vet was wrong also. Although they are trained professionals they are also human.

I have a hard time believing that her udder would not change and she's calved. A dry cow will look like a dry cow. Take a cow whose calved away from a new calf for just a few hours and her udder will full, so how could they think she's calved when her udder was floppy and dry? Weird situation... The only thing that i think could have happened is a early early aborted calf, but still, there'd be some udder activity of some sort...

I don't know who the vet is at the sale. And I haven't had time to go back.
However as of 3 days ago she's made a bag. Last night mucous started. So she'll drop a calf anytime. He never put a glove to her for sure.

mnbryant2001":u7ewbyzb said:
However as of 3 days ago she's made a bag. Last night mucous started. So she'll drop a calf anytime. He never put a glove to her for sure.

LET HER HAVE THAT CALF SO YOU CAN GET THE MONEY TO FIX YOUR TRUCK!

TennesseeTuxedo":1yldsq77 said:
mnbryant2001":1yldsq77 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe just a mix up with the tags like you said. Maybe the vet is green.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ylbskzw said:
mnbryant2001":2ylbskzw said:

:banana: :banana:

And I'm just not going to worry with it at this point. She has a larger bag than normal for a Char. Maybe next time I attempt to sell her I should point that out. Then again never assume. Put a glove to her.

Latest posts