Strange Behavior In A Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cuz-Pat

Reaction score
I have a buddy who owns a 6-7 year old tiger striped cow, that has a weird habit unlike any I have ever seen a cow to have. This cow will stand with her head level, will stretch out her neck, and then stick her tongue completely out of her mouth and then will flop her tongue very rapidly from one side of her mouth to the other. She appears to be running her tongue over her teeth from side to side as she does this. I have witnessed this cow doing this several times and my buddy tells me she does it almost everyday. It is amazing how fast she moves her tongue from one side of the mouth to the other. Any ideas as to what she may be doing or why she may be doing this? It is the darndest thing I've ever seen a cow to do. Would be interested if any of you have seen this behavior before or knows what this ol' gal is up to!

Hope to get some good answers on this one. :help:

Cuz, she's just swatting those pesky "Nose Flies". Kinda like a "Heel Fly" but bites them in the nose.

Course, you already knew that didn't you. ;-)

Mike,
Don't know about that answer? :D Her tongue never touches her nose. It's a floppin' around like crazy but it don't get to her nose. B'sides that, ain't no flies round them in this cold weather and she is still doing it. :shock:

we have calves that are fed feed every morning -
I've noticed them stick their tongues out as if they were already cleaning the feed bucket (seems same as what you describe) when they are waiting for their breakfast

did your friend feed this cow and she is still hoping for a handout?

I had a heifer that would roll her tounge around her mouth. Had a cyst type thing in her mouth where she had a hunk of wood stuck in her cheek. Vet cut it open and she was fine in a week. Also there is something called woody tounge or wooden tounge? Might search for that? Otherwise, she's just a strange cow!

That is strange! Would make a funny video! :) Maybe she has hay sorta trapped halfway up and down her throat and she is trying to get it loose?

Maybe she's really hacked off about something. Does she beller when she's wagging her tongue? I've seen Muslim women do that on TV after Israel blew the @#$%& out of their house which doubled as a bomb making factory.

Craig-TX":3dr9ln20 said:
Maybe she's really hacked off about something. Does she beller when she's wagging her tongue? I've seen Muslim women do that on TV after Israel blew the @#$%& out of their house which doubled as a bomb making factory.

ROTFLMAO

Latest posts