Stop the train

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider":2nalr3xh said:
Simple question - If most folks cull their cows for their undesirable traits and you do not have a trusted source for good replacements, how is it better to buy a cow than raise up a cow? In other words, aren't you likely buying someone's reject?

I quit buying heifers and cows, 50% that I bought didn't work out, that's not a good ratio! I'll take my chances raising my own, cull rate so far is about 12%.

HDRider":2flze7lf said:
Simple question - If most folks cull their cows for their undesirable traits and you do not have a trusted source for good replacements, how is it better to buy a cow than raise up a cow? In other words, aren't you likely buying someone's reject?

Some rejects make good cows - - I bought a bunch when a guy got rid of all his reds.
Some rejects make good cows - - I should have bought more at dispersals.
But in other cases you are right - - about 50% don't pan out and you have to buy them right.

HDRider":16612fr8 said:

Simple answer - You are in the business to make money. There is money to be made with other people's culls. Buy them right and sell them right. You don't fall in love with cows. And a cow doesn't have to stay around for 10 years to make you money.

Latest posts