Stop putting it off

Help Support CattleToday:

red angus 2010

Reaction score
For any of you men or women out there that think medical test can be put off DON"T. I am 55 years old and as part of my physicals and with no family history of colon cancer it was time for a colonoscopy. Last Monday went in for one, the flushing of the system was not bad I would highly recommend "prepopik" it was so easy I asked the nurse if it worked correctly after all the stories I had heard regarding siting on the toilet for hours. Procedure was no problem I was out for the whole thing. Wake up and the doctor and my wife are sitting there, thought I was going to hear all looks great see you in five years, not quite, Doctor says they found something that sure looks like cancer send me down to get a CAT scan to see if it is in my liver. I asked the Doctor when do we get this out of me, he says he likes my attitude and the sooner the better. Go home and spend the evening crying with my girls who are afraid dad will not be there to walk them down the aisle and a wife wondering how long I will be around. Get a call tuesday morning good news not in liver surgery scheduled for the next day wednesday. Go in and have surgery pre-op prep in my hospital room we know the nurse and she asks if we can pray before surgery best prayer I have ever been part of. Doctor took out 12 inches of colon. Very difficult time controlling pain after surgery, Doctor had to make 4 incisions for equipment and anothe incision about 5 inches so he can get his hand in me, finally get it under control by 2:00 next morning when they wake me up at 4:00 I asked if I can get up and walk since they told me before surgery they will want to do this. Nurses look at me as if I am insane after the previous 7 hours of pain issues they help me up and I walk to door and back to bed. They get me up and six make it out into hall and back to bed this begins my routine of walking a lot. The walking is very important to moving you toward going home. Returned home on saturday, now waiting on pathology. Get a call on monday 30 lymph nodes removed as part of the procedure no cancer in any of them. Doctor calls yesterday bad area actually pre-cancer six more months and full blown cancer. Surgery was on our 26th wedding anniversary the devotion of my wife during this was best present I have ever received. She did put her foot down when I got home on saturday I announced that I would get on the tractor she informed I would not be doing that. To my family here on the boards I cannot stress to you enough please take the time to have a colonoscopy at appropriate intervals Real roller coaster ride for about 7 days but I was fortunate with the results.

Thank the good Lord you caught it in time . You've sure been on a roller coaster it sounds like. Hope you have a quick recovery and clear check ups from here on out. Thanks for the reminder and sharing.

I had my colonoscopy when I turned 50, and while I had better results than you did, I agree it shouldn't be put off.

Thank The Lord! Prayers for a quick recovery. Yes, everyone should get a colonoscopy . Not bad at all. Take care.

Very good results. Take it from someone that has been there and obey your wife and stay off the tractor for a while. In 2013 I had 12" of the colon taken out also. Was stacking hay in the barn on the 4th day home. 2 weeks later I was back in the hospital almost dead because I had torn the colon apart. Wore a colostomy bag for 8 months and then a reversal and reattached the colon again. Pay attention to what they tell you. I know you will feel you are 18 again but give it some time. 2 years later now and the colon is fine so the future is bright for you. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing that story. I have mine done a few years ago and they told me I was good for 10 years. I am still dreading the next one, but I am going to do it.

Rafter S":3lk1cx24 said:
I had my colonoscopy when I turned 50, and while I had better results than you did, I agree it shouldn't be put off.
Absolutely. During my first one they removed several polyps and one was too large to remove. Had to have colon surgery to remove it. Noncancerous. Have had 4 now and due another one now. Dr. let me go 3 years between procedures this time.

kenny thomas":2f58unvi said:
Very good results. Take it from someone that has been there and obey your wife and stay off the tractor for a while. In 2013 I had 12" of the colon taken out also. Was stacking hay in the barn on the 4th day home. 2 weeks later I was back in the hospital almost dead because I had torn the colon apart. Wore a colostomy bag for 8 months and then a reversal and reattached the colon again. Pay attention to what they tell you. I know you will feel you are 18 again but give it some time. 2 years later now and the colon is fine so the future is bright for you. Good luck.

4 days Kenny!? They had to go in dad a second time because of a abscess. Being there with him waking up is still a vivid memory, and not a good one.

Heading in a couple weeks myself, can't say I'm especially excited.

TexasBred":o9z47c97 said:
Rafter S":o9z47c97 said:
Absolutely. During my first one they removed several polyps and one was too large to remove. Had to have colon surgery to remove it. Noncancerous. Have had 4 now and due another one now. Dr. let me go 3 years between procedures this time.

Don't go over that. And yep, my name is kettle, or is it pot?

Commercialfarmer":36btrejm said:
TexasBred":36btrejm said:
Rafter S":36btrejm said:

Don't go over that. And yep, my name is kettle, or is it pot?
:lol2: :lol2: Probably like me you answer to either.

kenny thomas":63rsjly8 said:

Dam, Kenny take it a little easier you are not 18 anymore. I had one last year and thank goodness the doctor told me to come back in ten years for another.

Along the same lines, prostate check. Dan Fogelberg put it off and it cost him his life.

I would just like to say thank you to all for the kind words and prayers. Went to Church last night (we share a pastor so ours is Saturday night) I really did enjoy. My prayers go out to all on the mend and the young man heading to Africa to keep us safe. I asked my wife to read the post and unfortunately she read all of them so thanks Kenny I mentioned using the chain saw (just a 20" bar) yesterday and she pops up and says "Do you want to end up like Kenny with a colostomy bag?" Just kidding, I sure that was a slow mend you had but I glad it all healed.