Stoney River & Ruth Chris

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I was recently given a gift certificate to Stoney River steakhouse. I've been told it's on par with Ruth Chris steakhouse of which I've never eaten at.

--Has anyone ever eaten at Stoney River?

--Where do high end steakhouses like the previous two mentioned get their steaks?

From companies with custom cut and age programs. My company, Sysco Foods, has such a facility in Denver. We are able to produce virtually any kind of steak aged any way and cut to any specs that they could possible want.
We use beef from such programs as Swift 1855, Sterling Silver(not ours) and CAB(also not ours) However even the ones that are not ours end up where they need to be.

Of course there are also independents doing the same thing.

tncattle":3a1mc8pc said:
I was recently given a gift certificate to Stoney River steakhouse. I've been told it's on par with Ruth Chris steakhouse of which I've never eaten at.

--Where do high end steakhouses like the previous two mentioned get their steaks?

Never eaten at Stoney River, but you'll have to sell a calf to pay for a dinner for 2 at Ruth Chris. I bet They're paying the same per pound as Outback or whoever else, just charging 4 times as much. Good food though.

Does the person who gave you this gift really like you? Because for a restaurant that good your wife/gf is going to need a new dress and probably a pair of shoes. :D Maybe a visit to the hairdresser. You could use a haircut yourself. :lol:

tripleBfarms":1idvtgde said:
tncattle":1idvtgde said:

Never eaten at Stoney River, but you'll have to sell a calf to pay for a dinner for 2 at Ruth Chris. I bet They're paying the same per pound as Outback or whoever else, just charging 4 times as much. Good food though.

Actually they are serving a much higher level of beef than Outback. It may be pretty high priced by the time it hits the plate but it is definitely in a different league as far as quality grade, age, and tenderness goes. I am not saying they are a tremendous value for the money but the do sling a lot better grade of hash.

I've eaten at RC in Atlanta. IMO, its a little bit overated. Not bad for a chain but I've had better. Best restaurant steak I ever ate was at Daphne's in Cordele Georgia. It was superb. Talked to the chef and he told me the meat came from Iowa Beef Packers.

One of the best T-bones I've ever had was on the grill with beer poured on it as it was cooking.

Jogeephus":z0h3d4cu said:
I've eaten at RC in Atlanta. IMO, its a little bit overated. Not bad for a chain but I've had better. Best restaurant steak I ever ate was at Daphne's in Cordele Georgia. It was superb. Talked to the chef and he told me the meat came from Iowa Beef Packers.

That would tend to mean that is was generic Choice boxed beef. I haven't heard of any Premium programs coming out of IBP. Sounds to me like a lot of age and a decent hit on THAT piece of meat.

3waycross":1fdywl16 said:
Jogeephus":1fdywl16 said:

That would tend to mean that is was generic Choice boxed beef. I haven't heard of any Premium programs coming out of IBP. Sounds to me like a lot of age and a decent hit on THAT piece of meat.

Whatever it was it sure was good.

There was a series of articals in either Drovers or BEEF magazine a few years ago that featured some of the top Steak Houses in the country. I don't remember names of them but I do remember that some of them have buyers that work directly for the restaurant. They will go to the processor and selectively pick out the carcasses that meets their specs. Then they dry age it for 28 days. They do pretty much everything they can to make sure nobody has a bad eating experience.

I had the opportunity to eat at Ruth's Chris once and it was hands down the best steak I've ever had.

john250":282euv06 said:
http://www.stoneyriver.com/menu_detail.php

I've heard Ruths-Criss is even more expensive, but it definitely ain't a barbeque joint.
just read that menu and it has made me feel quite hungry, sadly I couldn't consume a lot of it anymore, but thought the prices rather reasonable.

Latest posts