Stomach lining sloghing off

Help Support CattleToday:

MK

Reaction score
Hello all! Remember the sick calf I had....she was still eating but obviously having some stomach discomfort.

She is doing fine but now, 3+weeks later she has some tissue and blood on the outside of her stools.

She is still acting fine.

I have seen this before after coccidosis and acute infections....but usually the week after sickness.

This seems a long time past the actual sickness. I had her pasture/barn mate tested for coccidosis last week as he was starting to have the runs and this came back negative.

Could the vet have missed coccidosis? I have never treated for it before but because of the limited turnout/pasture area I am considering it just in case. Any reason to not treat without a positive diagnosis?

MK

Did the vet give you any kind of diagnosis? If they didn't, I would get a second opinion. Mostly if it is something that might pass through the herd. They sell sulfa drugs at the Co-ops or other stores that carry animal medications. I would treat for it and see if it clears up since the medicine is affordable. I hope your problem passes soon.

only diagnosis is not a parasite/protazoa....which is all I really wanted to know. I can treat the rest with sulfa, electros etc....but if they are going to keep passing coccidosis back and forth I wanted to get some meds in the water. I treated her with sulfa when she first had the runs. Did not help. As she was eating and drinking and taking the electros with bottle of water, I let the bug run it's course. Sometimes the meds do more harm than good...especially if they are eating and acting OK. The problem has pretty much gone away...she does not have the runs/scours. The stool is a good sample by all account...except the tissue and some blood spots. Again...she is eating, playing ruminating etc. Ears perky eyes clear stretching and cleaning her nose. Thanks for the input. I will keep ya updated. MK

MK.. when I raised bottle calves I had that happen also. As long as she's acting fine, don't give her any more antibiotics. If I remember correctly, the vet said that after certain infections, they will slough off some of the bowel lining. It seems to me I may have given them some Kaopetate or Pepto Bismal as a stomach coating for a few days.

We had some steers come to us through a sale like this.
Our cure was to completely cut the grain for two days, give them only
dry hay (nothing too green) and we gave them antibiotics and electro in their water. After two days we gradually added grain back to the diet and they are both doing fine now.

Thanks guys....she is doing fine. Sometimes I wish I had more so I wouldn't obsess about the little things...wait a minute, what did I just say! I must be crazy! Off I go! MK

Latest posts