Off cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":1xgb3kwn said:
I, too, have concerns about whether or not adequate levels and consistent consumption of a tub product (I didn't know there were any) will adequately prevent additional clinical cases - if there are other animals in the herd in the incubation phase of the disease.
Blood testing(cELISA serology) will identify infected animals, but will not differentiate between animals that are in the incubation phase... soon to become clinically ill ... and those that are persistently infected, with low-level parasitemia(these animals will not become clinically ill, but may serve as a continued source of Anaplasma organisms to infect the next generation(s) of ticks, which then amplify and transmit to naive cattle.

I'm retired and have not been in active veterinary practice for some time... not sure the new VFD regs, which took effect in Jan 2017 even allow 'top-dressing' of feed with Aureomycin anymore... I was under the impression - though possibly mistakenly - that the CTC had to be mixed into a prepared feed or mineral supplement at allowed concentrations in order to meet the letter of the laws.

Congratulations on your retirement. I have to ask - do you miss it? Or does putting more time into your operation keep you occupied?

There are 2 options for getting a VFD for CTC for anaplasmosis. The first is to buy bagged CTC and mix that into a daily ration for at 2 mg/lb BW, or buy a premade ration like that. This would usually be done with the 10 g crumbles, but there are ways of doing it with 50 g granular also. Option 2 is to buy a premixed product with CTC in it that you put out and the cows have free choice access to, which is probably what your tub is, or you can buy a premixed mineral.

Things that are not legal options would include buying the 50 g granular CTC and mixing it into your existing mineral or mixing CTC into your creep feed and allowing free choice access that way.

sassafras manor":vjf16x05 said:
The cow died overnight last night. It's crazy how fast she went down considering Monday night she ran up to be fed and then to be dead 3 days later. I am on my way to pick up the Aereomycin table to put out with the rest of the herd and will post details about it when I get back home
my son was up in that area on a hunting lease, to get it ready ...he and a cousin got eat up with ticks....

sassafras manor":10nkqai0 said:
The cow died overnight last night. It's crazy how fast she went down considering Monday night she ran up to be fed and then to be dead 3 days later. I am on my way to pick up the Aereomycin table to put out with the rest of the herd and will post details about it when I get back home
Sorry to hear that! Hopefully she's the only one - good luck w/the CTC.

Dempster,
As far as I'm aware, the recommended feeding rate for control of clinical anaplasmosis cases is at the 0.5mg CTC/lb BW/day level...ideally for the duration of the vector season (Apr - Nov, here in western KY).
Feeding at the 2mg/lb rate, for 60 days or more has the potential to 'clear' the infection - in most, but potentially not all, cattle. Be aware that these 'cleared' cattle will once again be susceptible to infection and may develop clinical disease and die, should they subsequently be re-exposed. If some animals fail to consume adequate CTC, they may not 'clear', and may serve as a residual source of infection...if neighboring herds aren't already filling that niche.

I'd not kept up with all the facets of the VFD regulations... I have no intention of writing one, unless I have to do one for my own animals... and I'd probably have to contact one of my younger colleagues to find out which feed mills will even fill one...

Newbie-ish question: what is meant by "top dressing"--putting the crumbles on top of feed? If so, what if the herd is all grass-fed?

That's what it means.

No feeding...you could be in trouble.

You could treat every animal 1 yr of age and older with 2 rounds of injectable long-acting oxytetracycline, at 3-4 day intervals...but this will not cure/clear the ok infection, and any animals that may have been in the incubation phase will pick right back up and may become clinically ill within 3-6 weeks

Vaccination is worth considering, but if you're having sick cows...it's too late for that season. It's a management tool to diminish/prevent clinical disease, but does not prevent infection.

We have a major problem with it in my area. It sure is frustrating. I have been vaccinating several herds. It is very spendy, but so is cows dropping over dead. My vet said other people in this area have had very good luck with it, so we will see.

I spoke with a neighbor last night and he heard that someone in the area was currently loosing a cow a day due to it. It definitely reinforces the need for continued treatment. So far all is good within my herd

Latest posts