Stocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:
Well it's looking much better than it did a month ago. I was down to 74 bucks on the 100.
It's back to 86 on the 100.
I figure it will be a year or more before the other 14 bucks return.

I was reading an article today that was suggesting we haven't bottomed out yet. We have 17M filing for unemployment, and it's growing every week. Half of those folks don't have money. I'm not sure how they'll buy anything or pay their bills.
The Emergency Money for the People Act, introduced in the US House Apr 14, would give $2,000 a month to Americans over the age of 16 who make less than $130,000 a year.
The payments would continue for at least six months, and until unemployment falls to pre-coronavirus levels.

I don't think there's much political appetite for it, but there it is......

The only problem is that Amazon is up something like 20% in the last month. I went mostly to Bonds when Trump was elected and I am only down about 10%. Now I think I will call my broker and get back into safe growth stocks.

sstterry said:
The only problem is that Amazon is up something like 20% in the last month. I went mostly to Bonds when Trump was elected and I am only down about 10%. Now I think I will call my broker and get back into safe growth stocks.

I did the same thing. My bonds are down 2% but Amazon is up 22% and Disney 4%. I got Amazon at like 18xxx and Disney in the high 90s early in the month.

The market is not really down that much as a whole though. I never hit my low point to buy S&P.

Wish I would have grabbed Tesla also. That's why one more good fall wouldnt hurt my feelings. There are several more stocks I'd like to grab up.

sstterry said:
It has been my thought that here is always a risk factor involved in the market.
Will you please explain how you know what is a "safe growth stock". :???:
Inquiring minds would like to know.

I was looking at a sight profit on ET until oil prices plunged...AGAIN

Ryder said:
sstterry said:
It has been my thought that here is always a risk factor involved in the market.

I rely on my broker to tell me. I learned many years ago not to try and beat the market. At my age I want safe and secure investments even if I may lose out. My ex college roommate and one of my best friends used to be a broker until he retired last year. He told me once that he had never had a loss by taking a profit.

I have Dollar General as well as BMY, JNJ, UNH who have held up well in this mess

shaz said:
Safe growth stock??? How about Dollar General?

Dollar General and consumer staples such as P&G, Coke, Pepsi etc. By the way, around here there is a Dollar General just about every couple of miles and they are all busy, particularly since they started carrying some fresh produce and more frozen foods last year.

I spoke my broker and he told me that if I was calling to get into something riskier like Emerging growth, etc he would tell me heck no! But when I told him what I wanted he did not have much problem moving some of the Bond Funds into a couple of safe mutuals one of which has a big stake in Amazon.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIqC5y1zm-4[/media]

Caustic Burno said:
ccr said:
I thought they owned the media.
We have definitely sold our soul to the company store owned by China.
"saint peter don't you call me 'cause i can't go
i owe my soul to the company store"

Well I guess that's that. Stock market has been killing it... especially this week.

Every one remember this... dont panic sell. When the news is saying the world is going to end.............. Buy! Buy! Buy! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Its amazing what good leadership can do.

Ryder said:
sstterry said:

A cow and a calve

Every company and individual or farmer rancher should try to have enough laid back to get by for 10 years. What I mean is assets that are readily available without having to sale anything. It can be cash which is always there if needed. Security is a comforting fact when you planned ahead. Security on credit has always been antsy. Spaceex has plans to put up low level satellites that would make cell phone service available to every one in the world at a lessor cost than the cost now. Motorola had this plan many years ago. Every incorporated company can get to big to manage as any livestock operation can. Yep I covered to many things that does not pertain to the original post. But what the heck time for Hasse to come along and tell me I am stupid.

Ryder said:
sstterry said:

I personally dont mess with mutual funds too much. There are definitely some that will outperform the index funds but you have to do your research or have a good broker. I got a sour taste in my mouth from some money that was set up for us in Edward Jones accounts. There for a while there was lawsuit after lawsuit for them pushing people toward certain funds. My understanding is that is still going one. Since then I have tried to go in to brokers on more that one occasion and always got a slimy feeling. At the end of the day the get paid kick backs for selling certain funds. I cant trust some one who is working for the funds, not me.

With the S&P, DJ, etc there is really nothing to do. They automatically adjust and do their thing. You can get etrade or fidelity or any other service like that any easily buy them. Most all 401ks have options for them also. Most investments dont beat them day in and day out year in and year out, that's why they are kind of the standard.

IMO it's the most hands off, passive, solid, "safe", investment you can make. If the S&P crumbles we will be trading goats so your retirement account wont matter.

That's just my opinion and what I have done. I own very few single stocks and as a whole they make up less than 20% of my investments. The cast majority is in the S&P and a good portion in the DJ. :tiphat:

Vanguard Windsor Fund Admiral Shares Value was $255,000 and dropped to $190,000 recently but today it is back to 244,000. It is an IRA and in 2019 capital gains and dividends was $27000. I have to take the RMD from it each year and it amounts to a pretty good check. Really bets the heck out of the cow calf operation. As I sit here and type this I am dreading going to the hay field and cutting hay. My heart if just not in the agricultural operation as it ounce was.

Latest posts