Stocks

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd said:
Ky cowboy said:
shaz said:
You're brave. I have stock in Dollar General before the crash. They're crushing it but the rest of my portfolio may be cat food.
I just feel they are not going anywhere. The 52 week high was almost $400, now its 105. Might take few years to come back but I'm young. When this stuff blows over I think the economy will bounce back fast.

It will be slower to respond in my opinion. Why because a lot of capital has been lost by individual investors. It took eight long years of steady growth from 2008 to get to the point that I felt comfortable with my investments. There were some losers and some winners and some losers that I sold that become winners. The CEO's that run companies will need to address their owners of the stock and quit trying to enrich themselves and quit buying into companies that they know nothing about. Short selling and option trading needs to stop. Money for the producers and investors that back the companies need to be rewarded along with the CEO's. Directors on the boards of the companies need to take responsibility. Just my thoughts on this. The Dow is about the same value as it was in 2016. The value of my stock is not the same value as it was then. The value of my portfolio is 1/3 of what it was then. I have more days behind me than in front of me. It does not take a lot for me and the wife to get by. My age 79 and hers is 76. We were discussing our life and talking about one of us good chance will live without the other unless a car wreak or something takes both of us out. I had been picking the stock that I bought and sold. Thought that maybe it was time to try a mutual fund. Put $300,000 in a vanguard fund and in the last month this value is now $159,000 so much for the experts. Still holding own and hope that things get better. Not for me but the young families that are struggling and will be for a while. Hope never dies. Hope I can pass a legacy along to the kids and grand kids and to the great grand kids.

Can't hope but notice the good times started when Obama was elected and the bad times started when Trump was elected. Hurley you are a real hoot. :lol2: :lol2:

How has your investments done since January 2020. Were you smart enough to get out when the getting was good. I am just presenting the facts as to my life and not yours. Yep I am the only dumb one on here according to you experts.

hurleyjd said:
How has your investments done since January 2020. Were you smart enough to get out when the getting was good. I am just presenting the facts as to my life and not yours. Yep I am the only dumb one on here according to you experts.

Oh I've been out for a while. At my age you no longer speculate about anything. BTW why did you decide to invest when the fund was at an all time high??

hurleyjd said:
Ky cowboy said:
shaz said:
You're brave. I have stock in Dollar General before the crash. They're crushing it but the rest of my portfolio may be cat food.
I just feel they are not going anywhere. The 52 week high was almost $400, now its 105. Might take few years to come back but I'm young. When this stuff blows over I think the economy will bounce back fast.

It will be slower to respond in my opinion. Why because a lot of capital has been lost by individual investors. It took eight long years of steady growth from 2008 to get to the point that I felt comfortable with my investments. There were some losers and some winners and some losers that I sold that become winners. The CEO's that run companies will need to address their owners of the stock and quit trying to enrich themselves and quit buying into companies that they know nothing about. Short selling and option trading needs to stop. Money for the producers and investors that back the companies need to be rewarded along with the CEO's. Directors on the boards of the companies need to take responsibility. Just my thoughts on this. The Dow is about the same value as it was in 2016. The value of my stock is not the same value as it was then. The value of my portfolio is 1/3 of what it was then. I have more days behind me than in front of me. It does not take a lot for me and the wife to get by. My age 79 and hers is 76. We were discussing our life and talking about one of us good chance will live without the other unless a car wreak or something takes both of us out. I had been picking the stock that I bought and sold. Thought that maybe it was time to try a mutual fund. Put $300,000 in a vanguard fund and in the last month this value is now $159,000 so much for the experts. Still holding own and hope that things get better. Not for me but the young families that are struggling and will be for a while. Hope never dies. Hope I can pass a legacy along to the kids and grand kids and to the great grand kids.

That was dumb to buy in with $300K in an all time high, especially at your age? What expert told you to do that? Edward Jones type people dont count as experts... most are nothing more than car sales men/ women.

You should have been taking earning out and moving them in to stable investments or even cash the last couple of years.

Brute 23 said:
hurleyjd said:
Ky cowboy said:

It will be slower to respond in my opinion. Why because a lot of capital has been lost by individual investors. It took eight long years of steady growth from 2008 to get to the point that I felt comfortable with my investments. There were some losers and some winners and some losers that I sold that become winners. The CEO's that run companies will need to address their owners of the stock and quit trying to enrich themselves and quit buying into companies that they know nothing about. Short selling and option trading needs to stop. Money for the producers and investors that back the companies need to be rewarded along with the CEO's. Directors on the boards of the companies need to take responsibility. Just my thoughts on this. The Dow is about the same value as it was in 2016. The value of my stock is not the same value as it was then. The value of my portfolio is 1/3 of what it was then. I have more days behind me than in front of me. It does not take a lot for me and the wife to get by. My age 79 and hers is 76. We were discussing our life and talking about one of us good chance will live without the other unless a car wreak or something takes both of us out. I had been picking the stock that I bought and sold. Thought that maybe it was time to try a mutual fund. Put $300,000 in a vanguard fund and in the last month this value is now $159,000 so much for the experts. Still holding own and hope that things get better. Not for me but the young families that are struggling and will be for a while. Hope never dies. Hope I can pass a legacy along to the kids and grand kids and to the great grand kids. I bet there are smarter investors than I that has lost as much or more than I have.

That was dumb to buy in with $300K in an all time high, especially at your age? What expert told you to do that? Edward Jones type people dont count as experts... most are nothing more than car sales men/ women.

You should have been taking earning out and moving them in to stable investments or even cash the last couple of years.
Yes looking back shoulda woulda coulda. Hard to undo what was. I have my funds with Vanguard. I have and IRA that I have to do RMDS each year. It has done very well VWNEX, 25 to 39% each year for years and then this hiccup. Had some extra cash in the Roth account with them and looked like a good time to put it to use. Also in a personal account for me and the wife. same story extra cash and needed put to work. All moves were on my part and no one elses. Been in Vanguard accounts since 1981. I did not risk the whole wad. I may be as lucky as you on finding your eye brand knife. Thinks will get better or worse depends on a lot.

hurleyjd said:
Ky cowboy said:
shaz said:

I'm young enough and I'm not talking a lot of money couple grand. I have a 401k at my day job (that was doing good, not now) for retirement. This is going to be a roll the dice and hope it pays off in time

Ky cowboy said:
I'm young enough and I'm not talking a lot of money couple grand. I have a 401k at my day job (that was doing good, not now) for retirement. This is going to be a roll the dice and hope it pays off in time

Congratulations! This is an awesome time for a person in your position to be investing. Dont listen to any doom and gloom from any one... that doesnt apply to you. Try to max out your contribution as soon as you can to take advantage of basically all these stocks being on sale.

I was fortunate enough to not have much money invested prior to 08 so it's been all up, up, up. This could be that same opportunity for you.

Study this very carefully as it plays out, especially people's responses. Look who is panicking and what they did wrong. Look who is using the situation to their advantage and what they did right. :tiphat:

Like the Kenyan did nothing for H1N1 that originated in the US. It hit our youth.

https://www.biospace.com/article/2009-h1n1-pandemic-versus-the-2020-coronavirus-pandemic/

I saw Parks Hotels stock went down 70%.. I'd probably throw a few bucks that way, as soon as air travel resumes they'll be going again

TexasBred said:
hurleyjd said:

Oh I've been out for a while. At my age you no longer speculate about anything. BTW why did you decide to invest when the fund was at an all time high??

After years of ups and downs I got entirely out a little over 2 years ago. The only stock I own has 4 legs. And frankly over the years I made more money with cattle than I ever did in the stock market.

I am certainly no expert and really have a hard time understanding most of it. Have tried different firms that offer advice and all and still just don't get the hang of it. Do not have the knack for it. Not going to obsess. I lost 1/2 of my meager retirement in the 2008 fiasco, and when it finally got back to what I had, I moved 75% into a "safe fund" that pays about 2 1/2% with no ties to the stock market and next to no chance of ever losing it. It is insured. I only contribute what the company matches and the rest I have also "put into 4 legged stock".
Nope, they don't make alot, they don't make money all the time, but when they do, I do okay. They are paying their expenses and giving me what my target was of 1-2 calves a month to sell, averaged over the year. That on top of my SS I can live on. Still testing a little adds some extra. I haven't started taking anything out of the retirement, and it will be very little anyway since I didn't ever put much in and started way late, but that is still "found money" for the future. Have to pay off a couple credit cards, and I don't owe on anything else.
I still garden, and can and freeze, have all my own beef and meat, and do wish that there was a "younger generation" that had that feeling of being "out of time" like I did when I was a kid growing up, so that I could "mentor" them and have someone who would be able to help me along in my "tottering old age"....
I will have to start taking out of the retirement/401K in a few years, @70 I think? Got to talk to a tax guy about it. I am not going to lose alot of sleep over it and watching my parents and their whole situation, and the costs for in home care, and constant worry by my father since his near complete recovery from the stroke, not wanting to consider a retirement home which would be better for my mom and she would get more help/care and would not have gotten so far "down" because my father does not want to make her do the exercises and activities that the doctors want ...."because it's too hard for her".... so she is slowly losing all her mobility and her brain is just stagnating.... I just don't see where it is worth the headaches.
I made sure I got a top notch medicare and supplement plan, and sure hope to just die of a heart attack, or in my sleep, like a mid 70's neighbor farmer did this past week. If I get some horrible thing, like cancer, don't plan to hang around and suffer for years and treatments without a very good chance of beating it.

The best of luck to all with your investing and all. If I had many wants maybe I would feel different, but there just isn't much I want to do or places I really want to go to need much money. If there were grandchildren, maybe I would feel different. But I have watched alot of money mismanagement in past generations of in my family, and the following generations haven't done much better and the "worrywart" lifestyle of my father has convinced me that it is just not worth it. I can provide for my basics like food and clothing, and enjoy the little things in life.

Maybe if I really trusted someone to take a few thousand of my money to invest, I would do it. But I just don't feel like I have trust in someone to do it. If someone took say 2-3,000 and in 5 years came back to me and said, here, I made you 25,000..... I would turn around and give them 1/3 of it and say, okay, give me 10,000 and take the rest and do whatever you think is best... But it is hard for me to pay someone if they are not returning anything back. If it gets lost, well, that's a chance I took. If they make me money, then I will share gladly. But if they are taking my money, and then lose it, then I don't think they should get paid for it. It's my money, I am taking the risk, but I am not going to pay them along the way...win lose or draw.

farmerjan said:
Maybe if I really trusted someone to take a few thousand of my money to invest, I would do it. But I just don't feel like I have trust in someone to do it. If someone took say 2-3,000 and in 5 years came back to me and said, here, I made you 25,000..... I would turn around and give them 1/3 of it and say, okay, give me 10,000 and take the rest and do whatever you think is best... But it is hard for me to pay someone if they are not returning anything back. If it gets lost, well, that's a chance I took. If they make me money, then I will share gladly. But if they are taking my money, and then lose it, then I don't think they should get paid for it. It's my money, I am taking the risk, but I am not going to pay them along the way...win lose or draw.

Your smarter than most. The first rule is don't invest in what you don't understand. :clap: That's the hardest one for most people to admit.

If you ever get the itch. Take a couple grand and open a Fidelity account or E-Trade or some thing of that nature. They will walk you thru every thing. Then just by the Dow Jones or S&P 500. If either of those disappear your money will be not good to you any ways. :)

Brute 23 said:
farmerjan said:

Your smarter than most. The first rule is don't invest in what you don't understand. :clap: That's the hardest one for most people to admit.

If you ever get the itch. Take a couple grand and open a Fidelity account or E-Trade or some thing of that nature. They will walk you thru every thing. Then just by the Dow Jones or S&P 500. If either of those disappear your money will be not good to you any ways. :)

Secondly never invest more than your willing to loose.

I am amazed the stock market has held up so good actually. I wonder if people actually learned not to panic sell from 08?

I'm not totally sold this is the bottom. I'm about 40% in on what I had sitting in bonds. The economy slowing down is just now starting to be realized and analized. Every one will be counting there pennies to see how long they can last at this pace.

Brute 23 said:
I am amazed the stock market has held up so good actually. I wonder if people actually learned not to panic sell from 08?

I'm not totally sold this is the bottom. I'm about 40% in on what I had sitting in bonds. The economy slowing down is just now starting to be realized and analized. Every one will be counting there pennies to see how long they can last at this pace.
I agree I don't think its hit bottom yet. I'm like you I have 1/2 of what I'm willing to invest in and the rest is waiting.

Latest posts