Stockpiled Forage

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":u9lw9wc5 said:
20 cows on 12" high grass .. 10 acres..

maybe about 5-6 days.

In one way...you are not really incorrect. Because if you turned 20 cows in on 10 acres of grass....no matter how good it is, in a weeks time they going to get tired of it, trompin, manuring, all over the place after eating all the best part. By strip grazing they get a fresh salad everyday.

Banjo":22wnbqd4 said:
ddd75":22wnbqd4 said:
20 cows on 12" high grass .. 10 acres..

maybe about 5-6 days.

In one way...you are not really incorrect. Because if you turned 20 cows in on 10 acres of grass....no matter how good it is, in a weeks time they going to get tired of it, trompin, manuring, all over the place after eating all the best part. By strip grazing they get a fresh salad everyday.

oh i agree 100%.. I was just BS'ing with you about the 5-6 days. I bet they'd go an easy 15 days or so on that space. Like you said. longer if your strip graze it.

Just moved the cows into the first stockpiled fescue of the season. About 17 acres and 55+/- cows, heifers, late calves, ... It will last about 40 days (guess) with a poliwire moved daily and would only last 2 weeks at most if open grazed. All based on legumes and fescue and no fertilizer. We have strip grazed since the 80's. No other way to go if you want to hold down costs.

Latest posts