Stockpiled fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Dunn, Great info for those of us in fescue country. I was grazing mine early instead of later so I'll need to rethink that.

twabscs":39miobv4 said:
Thanks Dunn, Great info for those of us in fescue country. I was grazing mine early instead of later so I'll need to rethink that.
Some years ago a guy from the U of MO suggested half jokingly that we should feed hay first then the stockpiled stuff during thee coldest part of the winter when the toxicity of the hay would have a more adverse impact.

dun":2rg9shfg said:
twabscs":2rg9shfg said:
Some years ago a guy from the U of MO suggested half jokingly that we should feed hay first then the stockpiled stuff during thee coldest part of the winter when the toxicity of the hay would have a more adverse impact.

dun,

You know that's really not a bad idea when you consider (as we have discussed before) the majority of Missouri stockpile is higher quality than the majority of Missouri hay. With most people still calving in Feb-Mar, the cow's nutrition would probably be better if she had the hay first and was on stockpile from Jan thru Mar.

I could also make a pretty good argument for feeding hay in Sept-Oct so your pastures could rest and grow more stockpile. That's a hard one for a lot of people to accept, but it will definitely work in a wet late summer-fall situation because the fescue can grow more pounds per day than a cow will be eating, so you just a well let her eat crap hay while the weather is still good rather than trying to feed it to her in Jan-Feb.

J

JRGidaho`":2uwxuyzl said:
dun":2uwxuyzl said:
twabscs":2uwxuyzl said:

dun,

You know that's really not a bad idea when you consider (as we have discussed before) the majority of Missouri stockpile is higher quality than the majority of Missouri hay. With most people still calving in Feb-Mar, the cow's nutrition would probably be better if she had the hay first and was on stockpile from Jan thru Mar.

I could also make a pretty good argument for feeding hay in Sept-Oct so your pastures could rest and grow more stockpile. That's a hard one for a lot of people to accept, but it will definitely work in a wet late summer-fall situation because the fescue can grow more pounds per day than a cow will be eating, so you just a well let her eat crap hay while the weather is still good rather than trying to feed it to her in Jan-Feb.

J
If I can ever get the grass up to snuff on the other farm I might try it just to see how it works. But that's gonna be a couple of years down the road.

JRGidaho`":3i17xtw8 said:
dun,

I have some good hay and then a I have some hay that isn't as good(cut later) I could also make a pretty good argument for feeding hay in Sept-Oct so your pastures could rest and grow more stockpile. That's a hard one for a lot of people to accept, but it will definitely work in a wet late summer-fall situation because the fescue can grow more pounds per day than a cow will be eating, so you just a well let her eat crap hay while the weather is still good rather than trying to feed it to her in Jan-Feb.

J
I calve in the fall so I feed quite a bit of hay from Sept. 10th or so until first of November in my calving pastures ,from Nov to the end of January I graze my stockpiled grass ,some of which is pastures and the majority is hayfields and then usually don't have to feed any hay until Late January or february and I have been having pretty good luck with doing it that way as for protein it seems like it is pretty good at least I wouldn't want to stand very close behind any of my bulls or cows right now ya might get painted :eek:

Angus Cowman":9eq72m6n said:
JRGidaho`":9eq72m6n said:
dun,

I have some good hay and then a I have some hay that isn't as good(cut later) I could also make a pretty good argument for feeding hay in Sept-Oct so your pastures could rest and grow more stockpile. That's a hard one for a lot of people to accept, but it will definitely work in a wet late summer-fall situation because the fescue can grow more pounds per day than a cow will be eating, so you just a well let her eat crap hay while the weather is still good rather than trying to feed it to her in Jan-Feb.

J
I calve in the fall so I feed quite a bit of hay from Sept. 10th or so until first of November in my calving pastures ,from Nov to the end of January I graze my stockpiled grass ,some of which is pastures and the majority is hayfields and then usually don't have to feed any hay until Late January or february and I have been having pretty good luck with doing it that way as for protein it seems like it is pretty good at least I wouldn't want to stand very close behind any of my bulls or cows right now ya might get painted :eek:

AC. Do you strip graze the stockpile to get more out of it? usually going from a couple week allocation to every couple days will get 30-40%

Do you have anything else you could graze in Sept-Oct or are you pretty well limited to feeding hay at that time?

JRGidaho`":kkdesicw said:
AC. Do you strip graze the stockpile to get more out of it? usually going from a couple week allocation to every couple days will get 30-40%

Do you have anything else you could graze in Sept-Oct or are you pretty well limited to feeding hay at that time?
JRG
I don't strip graze would be more beneficial but I am pretty lazy

and I feed hay in Sept and Oct because it makes it easier when checking cows calving because the pastures I calve in are open with no timber for the cows to hide in ( which is rare around here) and I guess that makes me lazy also
I never run low on hay so I just use what I got and it has been working I usually have 4-500 bales a yr left over and I sell 3-500 per yr so I have an abundance of hay ground that is a P I A to run cows on they are bottom ground where everytime it rains you are replacing water gaps so I just hay it instead of grazing for now as I don't need to pasture it either

Latest posts