Stocker cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Got a rented pasture I don't need this year. Hold 15 500# pretty easy. Don't want to fool with cows as I don't want to drag a bug in and wreck what I got going with seedstock cattle.

Got room for another 15 once cows go to grass too of stockers. Pasture rent is $1,000 can I buy them and make some money just turning them out first of May and selling when grass is gone, typically end September here in NE Iowa. Grass is nothing special but I could grain them couple times a week. I assume some mineral would be needed to hopefully prevent pinkeye.

This covid deal going to really mess stuff up, I don't want to loose my butt but making couple grand would be ok too! What am I missing with current market and expense wise?

No clue on the market, but expect that it will be down for a while. Look into LRP.
Yearling market is usually much better in August than late September.
Do you have access to a working facility? Consider heavier calves if you don't.
Consider adding a tame lead cow.
Pencil in labor and death loss and Safeguard wormer and 0.5% of BW supplement.
Pinkeye is usually a sign of nutritional stress. You can feed your way out of it with stockers.

Heard rumor CDC was contemplating shutting sale barns down.....what's that going to do to ya if that happens? What happens if the packers are shut down because of a sick worker....all's I can say is I'm about done with all this $hit. And that's not the meds for my shoulder talking...but it could the the shoulder pain from rehab therapy. :lol:

Stocker Steve said:
No clue on the market, but expect that it will be down for a while. Look into LRP.
Yearling market is usually much better in August than late September.
Do you have access to a working facility? Consider heavier calves if you don't.
Consider adding a tame lead cow.
Pencil in labor and death loss and Safeguard wormer and 0.5% of BW supplement.
Pinkeye is usually a sign of nutritional stress. You can feed your way out of it with stockers.
I can make facilities pretty fast if needed. Have gate trailer, portable chute, and 24' freestanding panels.
1#/day gain I'm hearing around here from guys that don't do anything but take them from salebarn and dump them in pasture. Got to run some numbers but I think it's worth a shot.

midTN_Brangusman said:
I would think chances of bringing a bug in would be higher with calves than cows.
My pairs will be 10 miles away before I bring in stockers is reason why I say that....

Stocker Steve said:
Should be 1.7 to 2.0 pounds ADG if you have a clue.
More if you get fancy and graze some annuals.
Cheap as corn is getting both pastures I rent have people that live there and like cattle. I could trade some hamburger to have them feed them every day? Usually feed 90/10 corn/ddg or what would you suggest?

Spring bucket supplement varies with timing and grass. Health and low grass energy are the most difficult at turnout, so some supplement daily with a corn based sweet feed for several weeks even if they don't continue all season. Calf that does not come up for grain gets worked...

More rolled corn than 0.5% of body wt. messes with the forage loving rumen bugs. So .005 x 500 is 2.5#/day per head. With 15 calves you have two partial buckets. Include ionospore and mineral in the mix and have a bag of crumbles on standby.

Till-Hill said:
Stocker Steve said:
No clue on the market, but expect that it will be down for a while.

I'm hearing around here from guys that don't do anything but take them from salebarn and dump them in pasture.

Down about $50/100 around here.

Nearest sale barn has sale classes for those ready for buyer to turnout, and those that need some needle before turning out. Does make a difference in income for the seller if equipped to prep them before selling and convenience the buyer is willing to buy.

Latest posts