Stocker & bred cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

DDT

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought good looking set of 8 ss bred cows yesterday, 7-8 mo along. I also have 6-6w calves, I have been feeding them 5lb calf starter and a little corn.
#1 This am as I figured all come in so feeding calves seperate is not a option. If I borrow a stock tank I could put them on a seperate 6 acres of grass to keep starter feed for them only. Or do I stop calf feedings. any thoughts?
#2 These cows came from sale barn but was bought as a group. Is there any thing I need to do for them? I noticed this am boss mama has a little cough.
I am feeding praire hay to all at this time, cows dont seem to like it, but calves do eat it?

If you bought them at the sale barn and already mixed them together with the younger set, you have already exposed them to whatever was at the salebarn. I would watch closely for any further spread of the cough and be prepared to cover everyone for respiratory illness.

If you cannot separate them, you have just doubled your feed bill. The older cows will push the younger ones away and they won't get to eat as much as before. And the older cows probably don't need that much.

If you stop feeding the younger ones you may sacrifice some body condition and some growth.

You never said what type of condition any of them are in. That might make a big difference too.

I would get an electric fence setup and divide the pasture. And feed separately for differing needs.

Listen close to that respiratory advice. I'd have a minimal amount of nuflour and banamine on hand just in case. You could loose a few or all of them. be prepared and lets hope all goes well.

Dittos here to both of the above.
The only thing I would add is, if you have the equipment, get them all up and give them a shot of vitamin B12 complex and a shot of a broad spectrum antibiotic.
And pray
SL
Edited to add:
If you don't have the facilities to give shots, try Aureomycin 2 or 4G Crumbles ( 4 would be best) and mix it according to feeding instructions with all their feeds.

Thanks All,
I am going to seperate yearlings (as soon as I can pending your 12" snow). I have a 6 acre patch that just needs a hot wire across it. simple fix
There all in very good condition at this time, just want to keep them that way.
I did talk with my vet about vac they need.

Another ?
Is it a good idea to give cows protein?? Again ther 7 & 8 months along, I found out I can get wheat middlings which is about $100 per ton less than beef cubes both with 15% protein.
If cows need it how many lbs per head? Oh there eating surgum bales and when thats gone I have praire hay untill grass starts going.
thanks

For protein I would use a protein/mineral tub. The tubs I use are from faithway and have about 20% crude protein as well as copper, magnesium, salt, etc. The cows can get protein and any minerals they need at their discretion. They will tear it up for the first week or so but they'll settle down. If you get a tub, make sure you put out a salt block or two with it because 3% salt isn't very much.

How much you feed them depends on their condition. 7 and 8 month bred cows in good condition should make it on hay until you have grass(depending on the hay). If they calve while on hay, you may have to feed. 4 or 5 pounds a day of 15% feed on hay should be good. You wont hurt by giving them a few pounds now. Keep a good mineral out free choice.

DDT":hs664n5m said:
Another ?
Is it a good idea to give cows protein?? Again ther 7 & 8 months along, I found out I can get wheat middlings which is about $100 per ton less than beef cubes both with 15% protein.
If cows need it how many lbs per head? Oh there eating surgum bales and when thats gone I have praire hay untill grass starts going.
thanks

First determine the nutritional requirements of the cows(precalving last trimester. bcs, weather)
Second determine the feed valve of the hay and adjust protein and energy accordingly
I haven't fed wheat mids but the protein levels are good but the energy is low so depending on the value of the hay, weather and etc you may need an energy souce
But that all depends all the value of the hay.
I'm not sure of your palns with the cows but I wouldn't mix cows with stockers due the health risk, but again they have already been exposed to quite a bit at the salebarn, so it could be the cows exposing your stockers.

I guess I got lucky last night....When we got home from work we seen all 6 stockers in the 6 acre patch just east of the house, and the cows by the corral. I slipped out back and added a hot wire gate up to keep them seperated from the pasture and cows. moved there feed bunk and filled a 100 gal tank and took them a bale of parie hay (they like it better than surgum Bales). I was worryed how to seperate them....some times lady luck does shine down.

Latest posts