Stock trailers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Been looking at some stock trailers, any brands to shy away from?

Looked at C&M, Triple B&J, Delta, Calico in new trailers. Also been looking at used ones like a Corn Pro and Ponderosa (which I did not like).

Any suggestions for places to look or brands appreciated. Looking to do this as cheap I as possible for what I want.
Mainly looking at bumper pulls.

It is hard to find one in good shape used, if ou are looking to just haul a few head you may look at used horse trailers and get the inside to free up space. We have had several over the years. Some heavier than others, all of them rust out along the bottom. We starting washing them out monthly and even tried painting the interior every six months, nothing fights the acid in manure and urine. Plywood just rots out too quick and only holds rain water against the metal. hope this helps you.

Too many variables ! How often you hauling ? What are you hauling ? How far/fast are you towing ? Etc.
Bison makes a good steel trailer but very heavy and eats a lot of gas. Delta / Ponderosa are ones to avoid.
I really like my 16ft Featherlite - NO, it does not make a lot of noise and it tows as fast as you want to go.

shorty":2lyspvuv said:
I have a 12ft Adams trailer , it's been doing fine for me.

Using a Adams 16ft gooseneck. For the price, they're hard to beat.

fitz

Bullbuyer":jvgvsrtm said:
Too many variables ! How often you hauling ? What are you hauling ? How far/fast are you towing ? Etc.
Bison makes a good steel trailer but very heavy and eats a lot of gas. Delta / Ponderosa are ones to avoid.
I really like my 16ft Featherlite - NO, it does not make a lot of noise and it tows as fast as you want to go.

Probably use trailer an average of 1 or 2 times a month. Most markets are within 50 miles. Daughter is showing some, but most places we go are within 120 miles, including interstate. I did not like the Delta or Ponderosa I seen.

Quite a few folks around here use Travalong goosenecks. I like them, I don't remember if I've seen any Travalong bumper pulls though.

If you're not going to use it anymore than that, I would look for something more economical - however, I only paid a little over 7k for my Featherlite and I had to buy a new brake controller, hitch and the labor to install all of that. Honestly, while it certainly won't increase in value over the years, aluminum never gets real cheap either. Also, a lot cheaper to pull than the steel trailers...

I've heard both good and bad about the Calico but never owned one so I'm not going to pretend to know anything else about them.

I've got a 20 year old Neckover that is still going strong.

Don't know exactly how big a trailer your getting but if you are looking at a 16 foot model I'd sure get a gooseneck over a bumper pull. Least around here with the hills and curves in the roads the difference is like night and day.

Finding a good used stock trailer is harder than finding a good woman. They are out there but you got to look hard and they are usually priced dang high IMO.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

J

We have a Coose and really like it. Folks that borrow it alwasy rave about how well and easy it pulls.

dun

Moritz makes a very nice one, a little heavy but, they are of very good quality have a local dealer who's pricing is out of this world in savings.

EIEIO":2zhqfn0j said:
Finding a good used stock trailer is harder than finding a good woman. They are out there but you got to look hard and they are usually priced dang high IMO.

That's no joke!! I've been looking for a used stock trailer for some time now, and I'm having a hard time coming up with anything period, let alone anything *good* and priced reasonably... I was into a rusty old 18' bumper pull 3 horse slant for $950 the other day at auction -- which was already $150 over what I told myself it was worth.. Thing ended up selling for like $1200!! I thought it looked like a good candidate for gutting out and using for cattle, but not much else..

Some guy in slacks and a golf shirt bought it, and I'm pretty sure it was only because his 6 year old really really really thought it was the most bestest trailer EVER and could prolly haul Trixie and Trigger and Dancer all at once WOW!! :roll:

Auction food from the quaint lil' FFA concession stand - $9.00
Rusty old horse trailer with a million miles on it - $1200.00
Being the coolest dad EVER for a day......

$1209.00

What an idiot.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cmjust0,

I know what you mean about the used ones. Been looking at several ans some are so close to new price just as well buy new. Going to see if one is in a big sale this weekend, but who knows. Looked at some new ones today, nice but $$$$.

What part of Kentucky are you in? We are near Bowling Green.

I'm about 30mi north of Lexington, Tom4018.. Went to the annual Fayette county farm equipment consignment sale this past Saturday looking for a stock trailer, in fact..

They had two 20 year old 2-horse bumper pulls that each went for over $1000 :shock: , but I was more interested in a little beat up CM brand stock trailer sitting there..

It was maybe 14' long, but only 5' wide inside. The front had been bashed in and beaten back out a time or two, and there were holes rusted *through* the fenders in a couple of places.. Not one tire matched any of the others and they were all pretty well worn, so it had clearly been down the road a time or two.. The kicker was that it was manufactured in '97!! Rust holes, worn out replacement tires, and it was barely 9 years old?? $600 tops, I figured.. Who'd want that piece of crap besides a tightwad startup like me??

Well, apparently everybody wanted it.. Sold for $1450. :eek:

Apparently Fayette countians have more dollars than sense.. :D

We lived in Fayette county until we moved to the Bowling Green area. Most of them people do have money to be able to afford the land. My in-laws still live in Harrison county and stuff really seems to be going up there too.

tom4018":2d2dd33x said:
We lived in Fayette county until we moved to the Bowling Green area. Most of them people do have money to be able to afford the land. My in-laws still live in Harrison county and stuff really seems to be going up there too.

Everything within 50mi of Lexington is outrageous expensive, IMO..

I haven't been anywhere west of Campbellsville in quite some time, but I remember how nice it is out there. Living in northern Scott county sure will make a person appreciate good flat ground. :lol:

Thanks for the link, Subsoil. That trailer is an absolute dead ringer for the one I saw, except the one I saw was green and beat to death..

Something else that caught my attention was the contact information.. Madill, Oklahoma sounded familiar to me for some reason, so I looked up where CM trailers are built.. Care to take a guess? :lol: According to CM trailer's website, Madill OK is the "trailer capital of the world."

Edited to add: Oklahomatrailersales.com has a 5'x14' bumper pull made by **WW** for $2325.. :shock: That might even justify a road trip! :cboy:

Latest posts