Texas Farm Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

Cracking down?? What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure all trailers have to be registered, but when you say "tag" what do you mean? Inspection? No. License plate? Depends. Call you local County Tax office to find out.

Cracking down?? What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure all trailers have to be registered, but when you say "tag" what do you mean? Inspection? No. License plate? Depends. Call you local County Tax office to find out.
Thanks Dusty I'm talking about a License Plate. I have always put a farm tag on every trailer that I made or used until I went to the Court House and they gave me a Three page form to fill out,then I have to pull the trailer 80 miles to a inspector, then if it's approved by him then I have to drive another 70 miles to file it. It will only haul Hay. It's the biggest run around that I have ever seen.

I believe the law reads that if you are transporting animals to market or products produced on your farm to market or to the end use than a farm tag is not needed. If you are doing it for payment than a tag is required and possibly a DOT number.
I know around here you seldom see a hay trailer, cotton wagon, corn trailer or anything like that tagged at all.

Both of my son in laws are cops. I ask them of they knew the law om cattle trailers. Neither one of them did. One suggested that since it was most likely that very few of them knew the laws, it would be helpful and probably save some hassle to carry the law standards with you.

If it was me, I would just go with it untaged until I was told different.

I remember a while back a dps task force came through town and were busting every one for farm trailers. They said flat out none of those single bale dollies were legal on the streets.

That lasted about 2 days and they asked politely to move on. Every one was told to take it to the judge because he was throwing them all out.

As far back as I can Remember Farmers Cattle Men were pretty good at Building,welding, their own stuff Making it very road worthy. They gave me two reasons why you couldn't just go a get a Farm Tag for a Homemade,shop built trailer one was they were over loaded with people getting tags for Farm Trailers and Stolen trailers were on the rise. So they have came up with a way to stop those who build their own.

As far back as I can Remember Farmers Cattle Men were pretty good at Building,welding, their own stuff Making it very road worthy. They gave me two reasons why you couldn't just go a get a Farm Tag for a Homemade,shop built trailer one was they were over loaded with people getting tags for Farm Trailers and Stolen trailers were on the rise. So they have came up with a way to stop those who build their own.
I've rebuilt three abandoned trailers. One was stolen, one I sold, and one I use intermittently today on country roads for short hauling distances, legally functional with lights and reflectors...just not registered or inspected. I kind of wing-it...with my father's old advice...."Be safe...do what you have to". Be super nice and polite to any officer of the law that stops you. Be truthful with your mission on the short term trailer use on road...most times you'll get a first warning.

I am not a Texan and sure don't know the laws there but isn't there slightly different rules for Farm to Market roads? The original purpose of those roads was to get the farm products to market and all associated activities.

The small trailer inspection law was rescinded a few years ago. Now it only applies to very large trailers. Here's the fact sheet from TX DOT.

Dusty this is a good read but our Bowie County court house doesn't go by those good rules. I showed them what you have sent me and they are still hard core on homemade trailers Farm or not. I think I'll finish my trailer and it will be road worthy without a license plate. There is a youtube on trying to get a regular Shop built trailer license plate. The man has spent a year trying and still has no luck. And they are using the same standard for Farm Trailer.I have pictures of the trailer before and after, along with a signed Bill of Sale. But they still say that to get a plate I must fill out the form that they gave me then go 80 miles to Paris Tx. to receive a VIN number. After all of that, they said it would be best to then hand carry it to the Longview Regional Center .

I believe the law reads that if you are transporting animals to market or products produced on your farm to market or to the end use than a farm tag is not needed. If you are doing it for payment than a tag is required and possibly a DOT number.
I know around here you seldom see a hay trailer, cotton wagon, corn trailer or anything like that tagged at all.

Both of my son in laws are cops. I ask them of they knew the law om cattle trailers. Neither one of them did. One suggested that since it was most likely that very few of them knew the laws, it would be helpful and probably save some hassle to carry the law standards with you.

If it was me, I would just go with it untaged until I was told different.
You are very correct, there is a weight limit of 34000 pounds but any gooseneck should be under that

Dusty this is a good read but our Bowie County court house doesn't go by those good rules. I showed them what you have sent me and they are still hard core on homemade trailers Farm or not. I think I'll finish my trailer and it will be road worthy without a license plate. There is a youtube on trying to get a regular Shop built trailer license plate. The man has spent a year trying and still has no luck. And they are using the same standard for Farm Trailer.I have pictures of the trailer before and after, along with a signed Bill of Sale. But they still say that to get a plate I must fill out the form that they gave me then go 80 miles to Paris Tx. to receive a VIN number. After all of that, they said it would be best to then hand carry it to the Longview Regional Center .

I've heard several east Texas counties are behind on the standards. Perhaps request a private meeting with the county judge and talk to them about the situation. Or, comply with the minions who want more money. At least you know it is not a state law, it is a bunch of ... never mind.

Dusty you are so right, D m v sent me the same read that you posted. So I'm going to finish my trailer and haul my Hay with the paper work in the glove box of my Truck.I think much like you It's more about money and control than anything.

I've rebuilt three abandoned trailers. One was stolen, one I sold, and one I use intermittently today on country roads for short hauling distances, legally functional with lights and reflectors...just not registered or inspected. I kind of wing-it...with my father's old advice...."Be safe...do what you have to". Be super nice and polite to any officer of the law that stops you. Be truthful with your mission on the short term trailer use on road...most times you'll get a first warning.
I call it the principle of first offense.

Dusty you are so right, D m v sent me the same read that you posted. So I'm going to finish my trailer and haul my Hay with the paper work in the glove box of my Truck.I think much like you It's more about money and control than anything.
I just went to Lamar county 2 yrs ago. Gave her the bill of sale. F in Law filled one out nicely. Told her that it was farm. No problem. But I think the older lady retired last year. THAT clogged the drain for a while.