Stock trailer to Horse trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

CowChick97

Reaction score
So we have an older stock/cattle trailer (not exactly sure on its age) that has rust. It's still a very solid trailer. All the rust is on the surface. My first question is how can I get rid of the rust? I'd also like to repaint it as there are spots where the paint has chipped off and has faded to reveal a different color. I 'researched' and most people sand the rust then prime then paint the trailer. Is that the best way to do it? I'd rather this be a D-I-Y kind of project so it doesn't get too expensive. After I fix the rust issue how can I make it more designed to haul horses? There is a middle divider, the floor is wooden, and there is wire panel to help with animal stability(we've never had an cow with sore feet after hauling). What could I do to put over the top as a roof? Here's a picture of Ol' Rusty:

(By the way, not everything is rusted. It actually is like a reddish/orangeish rust kind of color for some odd reason.)

I'd hire a compressor and sand blaster if you didn't have something suitable already. That would give you a good preparation to start spraying rust inhibiting primers and paint.
For a roof I would just get a fitted canvas cover for the top made. I think I would get rid of the wire on the floor, no doubt you will want to carry shod horses and I think that poses a risk with them getting caught up. Maybe some sprayed on rubber floor.

you can also pull out the middle divider and haul the horses all tied to one side so that they stand slanted. If they are not kickers, they don't need a divider.

I would also pull the floor or get someone to put it on a lift to make sure that all of the supports are sound. They will rust out and you don't want it giving way and having a horse fall through the floor while traveling. It can look solid and be bad underneath.

How tall is it? Good luck with your project.

For the money its going to take to have a covered top and etc you could go buy a good trailer and be better off
From the picture it doesn't appear to be tall enough for horses

Latest posts