Steer Calves Wanted in TN!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to this group and have enjoyed reading past posts, besides learning a lot. We have 4 acres of lush grass, cross fenced into smaller areas for our 3 miniature horses. Obviously they cannot keep up with all this grass! I am looking for 2 weanling/young steer calves of any breed to help keep this grass down. Does anyone know where I might find such calves without paying a small fortune? They would become pets and lifetime lawnmowers! I am located in Wartrace, TN and
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luanne

Hello, and Welcome to the Boards! Truthfully, you really don't want any type of bovine as a pet. They will become much larger than you and can easily hurt you without wanting to or trying to. With that said if you wanted to keep them for a long while you'd be better off going with a couple of cows. That way you could raise calves off of them each year. However if steers is what you want, Texas Longhorn steers would be the way to go in this situation. THey are very docile, easy to keep, and just plain look good in the pasture. THere are a couple of breeders from TN on the boards here that would probably be more than happy to help you out. Or you could contact the Texas Longhorn association at http://www.tlbaa.org or (817)625-6241.
Good Luck!

Ryan

Oakbrooke Farm welcome to the site.
I'd suggest stopping and talking with someone close that has a herd of cows. If you can get some just down the road it will help the logistic problems. Failing that I'd stop at every feed/tack/western clothing store around you and talk with the folks there see what they advise.
As far as the cost. It's all relative. Small, or any for that matter, fortune to me is pocket change to someone else :lol: You are already on the losing end. Cattle and horses are expense "pets". But if you like to dance, you pay the piper. Have fun and good luck.

My immediate neighbor has a herd of 200 cows and 6 bulls, penned right on the property line. He suggested steers since I do not want to get into any kind of breeding, and he is not selling any of his calves. I just want some lawn mowers!

Surely there is someone in that proximity that would like to put some of their own steers on the property to fatten out. You wouldn't have to buy anything then. Of course, they are going to need a way to load them. Do you have loading chutes? If so, they can rotate steers from time to time. Maybe even pay you.

You better get a green lawn mower, or might have to get a fertilizer spreader. :) :) :)

Oakbrooke Farm":2wazy4wz said:
Hello everyone!

I am looking for 2 weanling/young steer calves of any breed to help keep this grass down.

I just sold 2 Longhorn steers to someone who wanted them for the same thing you do (lawnmowers and possible freezer beef). If you were closer, I could help you out.

Oakbrooke Farm":2kqy83i6 said:
I will look into the Llamas. Thanks for the suggestion!
I'd much rather try to load steers in an open field as I would llamas - when they lay down - you're done ! I hauled one for a guy last spring - won't make that mistake again.
Go get a couple of holstein steers around 500 lbs - they are relatively docile, relatively cheap and they will eat, probably won't break any average daily gain records but they will keep it eat down.

Whatever you do - DO NOT buy ONE of anything, it'll drive you nuts !

Oakbrooke Farm":1saju1jk said:
My immediate neighbor has a herd of 200 cows and 6 bulls, penned right on the property line. He suggested steers since I do not want to get into any kind of breeding, and he is not selling any of his calves. I just want some lawn mowers!

Ask that immediate neighbor if he would run some cows on your property. Does you and him a favor.

Have you looked into Alpacas? Those are some neat critters! or miniature cows?

The neighbor did run 17 Angus heifers, but now we have cross fenced with 5 strands of electric tape and I know they could not get in there to it easily. Would be easier I think just to unload 2 small ones through the gate. We are planning on buying a John Deer tractor, but not for at least another month. Meanwhile, the grass is way high as we get so much rain!

If. I am reading your post right I would go with two longhorn steers But Cattle are never pets.

Latest posts