Steel wire vs poly wire vs. Barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2bwynel6 said:
JW IN VA":2bwynel6 said:
Have used an eight wire smooth hi tensile wire along our road for over ten years without any problems.You just have to double brace and get it tight.Neigbor has a six strand with the top four that can be hot.Works there,too.I also use one interior fence with two hot wires.
I know some guys who operate a big,big place and they use 7 wire along the road with their yearling cattle
:2cents:

My entire perimeter and several cross fences are ten strand barbwire.
What are you keeping in, camels?

dun":2fnd4li7 said:
callmefence":2fnd4li7 said:
JW IN VA":2fnd4li7 said:
Have used an eight wire smooth hi tensile wire along our road for over ten years without any problems.You just have to double brace and get it tight.Neigbor has a six strand with the top four that can be hot.Works there,too.I also use one interior fence with two hot wires.
I know some guys who operate a big,big place and they use 7 wire along the road with their yearling cattle

What are you keeping in, camels?

Camel's are like ostriches. Just a piece a rope will do .
We can have a dam uprising round here is someone is not using the best mineral, a bull who's azz is to small. You can't even mention feeding hay that doesn't test 10 percent or shame on you. Gotta call the dam vet every time a cow coughs it's cud. But you gonna be smartazz cause I gotta good fence ;-) . When the grass is high and there's water in the creeks I can leave for days without a worry. :D
True Grit Farms":2fnd4li7 said:

It won't hold calves in or geese out, but I've never had a cow out yet.

Looks good, I'd put a couple more strands of bw.

callmefence":2bycc9kt said:
Ebenezer":2bycc9kt said:
5 strand HT is good for sheep and cows except for romantic rams. Don't mix barbed wire and HT smooth. You might learn bad words if deer help you adjust wires on frequent basis.

Bad advice..a good barbwire fence with a hot strand about brisket high on standout insulators is as good a fence for containing cattle as you you can get. If the hot strand gets shorted there's still a fence. When working it teaches respect for the fence.
Best of both worlds.

You keep walking your way and I'll keep walking mine! Ain't no Georgia pine involved as we are going opposite ways. :D Our cattle are not wild, our pastures are pretty good and I learned to hate barbed wire a long time ago. Deer fall in the barbed wire category, too!

Ebenezer":3cymvsk8 said:
callmefence":3cymvsk8 said:
Ebenezer":3cymvsk8 said:
5 strand HT is good for sheep and cows except for romantic rams. Don't mix barbed wire and HT smooth. You might learn bad words if deer help you adjust wires on frequent basis.

Bad advice..a good barbwire fence with a hot strand about brisket high on standout insulators is as good a fence for containing cattle as you you can get. If the hot strand gets shorted there's still a fence. When working it teaches respect for the fence.
Best of both worlds.

You keep walking your way and I'll keep walking mine! Ain't no Georgia pine involved as we are going opposite ways. :D Our cattle are not wild, our pastures are pretty good and I learned to hate barbed wire a long time ago. Deer fall in the barbed wire category, too!

Yes sir.
Although your gentle cattle, hatred for deer and barbwire makes your advice no better. :D

callmefence":11g3cyn2 said:
Ebenezer":11g3cyn2 said:
callmefence":11g3cyn2 said:
Best of both worlds.

Yes sir.
Although your gentle cattle, hatred for deer and barbwire makes your advice no better. :D
Thank you for recognizing my streak of genius as few have! :lol2: Mutual greetings.

True Grit Farms":18ei65o9 said:

I've come to hate those type stand off insulators. I've had lots of them just fall off, broken at the bend where they go round to the backside of the tee post. Zareba brand I think. The sun seems to crack them.
I changed to a black one, different brand with a little plastic pin that drops in and none have broken yet.

greybeard":se1sy2ki said:
True Grit Farms":se1sy2ki said:

I've come to hate those type stand off insulators. I've had lots of them just fall off, broken at the bend where they go round to the backside of the tee post. Zareba brand I think. The sun seems to crack them.
I changed to a black one, different brand with a little plastic pin that drops in and none have broken yet.
I hadn;t originally seen the barbed. Our permanent interior fences are single strand 12.5 gauge smooth hot 28-32 inches above the ground. We use the Gallagher UV stabilized pin type insulators on T-posts. The original stuff has been up 15 years and haven;t had a problem with any of them. We have one spot that during the chase part of the rut the deer run through the fence regularly. Last year I had to replace the insulator, the pin had finally broken from being it so many times.

callmefence":3tr8g0iw said:
JW IN VA":3tr8g0iw said:

That's awesome take a pic, I'd like to see it. I have a lot of 7 our 8 strand barb fence, but it is usually the 5 original rusted out strand with 2 or 3 new stands that I've added to reinforce and patch holes :lol:

Lazy M":1b7ihwur said:
callmefence":1b7ihwur said:
JW IN VA":1b7ihwur said:

That's awesome take a pic, I'd like to see it. I have a lot of 7 our 8 strand barb fence, but it is usually the 5 original rusted out strand with 2 or 3 new stands that I've added to reinforce and patch holes :lol:

You actually use wire to patch fence? I always thought used baler twine was the preferred material. :lol:

Lazy M":4nnd0mze said:
callmefence":4nnd0mze said:
JW IN VA":4nnd0mze said:

Here you go . 10 wires and a hot. Probably got about 4 ,miles of fence like this. I'll admit I have a little advantage. But where I have this fence I also have few worries

Nice. If that won't hold them in, you don't want them anyway

callmefence":1hsa3yr3 said:
Here you go . 10 wires and a hot. Probably got about 4 ,miles of fence like this. I'll admit I have a little advantage. But where I have this fence I also have few worries

10 strands of barbed wire AND a hot wire? I don't even use ten around a waterlot! Man, I would have 8 miles of perimeter with that and be happy as a clam! The state only uses 5 wires on the Interstate, Union Pacific put in some new fence the last few years and half of it is only 4! How tall are your posts?

Hippie Rancher":1sq0n49a said:
callmefence":1sq0n49a said:

10 strands of barbed wire AND a hot wire? I don't even use ten around a waterlot! Man, I would have 8 miles of perimeter with that and be happy as a clam! The state only uses 5 wires on the Interstate, Union Pacific put in some new fence the last few years and half of it is only 4! How tall are your posts?

fence is around 4, 8"
You know barbwire only cost about 200.00 a mile a strand.

callmefence":10ngo8cd said:
fence is around 4, 8"

Yeah but labor costs me around here and we are hilly, brushy, and rocky. :D

A tight 4 or 5 wire will hold most of mine unless they are jumpers under pressure and then the number of strands won't matter. :bang:

callmefence":cbzbx28r said:
This has been my philosophy the last couple years. I'm going to the trouble of setting all the corners, pounding posts, clearing jungles on hills you can barely stand on, etc…. It makes no sense to try to save a few bucks running only 4 strands like I used to do, now I stretch 6. I also tightened my post spacing from 6 to 4 steps. I'm done chasing calves.

callmefence":evmxl8a7 said:
JW IN VA":evmxl8a7 said:

I was meaning seven strands of smooth wire. :)

For 22+ years, all my perimeter and internal cross fences - except for the bull pen - have been 2 strands of electrified HT wire - with posts mostly at 100 ft spacings. Bull pen is 4 strands; mostly 100 ft post spacing.
With the exception of the occasional pre-weanling calf that might squirt through and graze in the CRP bufferstrip(100ft wide) alongside the creek, they've pretty much always stay in.

I have a closed herd that's 'grown up' inside this enclosure; I'd be afraid introduced animals might go right through without a thought,

I'm not saying it's ideal...and if I ever had a prolonged period with no electric service, I'd likely be in trouble. But, it's been working... and likely will, for the foreseeable future.

I have a group of commercial Brahman that live in the pasture surrounding my house. They are right outside my window and the front yard view is of them. The only thing that keeps them out of the yard is two strands of hot wire and my visibility of the pastures is much nicer. Sometimes a calf lays down beside it unknowingly and gets on the wrong side. Its easy to put the calf back thru the gate.

Latest posts