Stealth Estrus Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":us8k8vv0 said:
I discussed this with the vet this morning. One of his clients breeds about 80 heifers every year. He puts patches on them and has them right agaisn;t a very not fence with a bull on the other side. I guess he's done it for years and always seems to catch the girls in heat.
The heifer we gave the GnRH and lute to never did cycle that I could see. Yesterday morning I turned her in with the bull. He sniffed her then ignored her all day. This morning he has no interst in her but her patch is red and the hair on her back is rough. I guess we'll know in september when we preg check.
Good info.

Stocker Steve":2s609i9z said:
branguscowgirl":2s609i9z said:
I too usually have a young bull in an adjoining field to the cows.

What kind of pasture fence consistently holds a black bull?
I have 3 strands of high tensile hot wire between pastures. Not the thin, cheap stuff. New Zealand fence. And 2 strands of rubber coated wire in between, made by Bayer. (The white is mainly for visibility for the horses.) Both look clean and are easy to tighten with a special ratchet handle to the tensioners. I have never had a bull go through it.
The same New Zealand hot fence keeps the neighbors bull out, and no fighting through the fence.

Putangitangi":2mdnua0d said:
I was wondering ... :)

Ruth, I will not call it until Wednesday but she would be coming in today. I checked her not more than 45 minutes ago. Her vulva was dry and pale. I put a lot of faith in the character of the vulva. The only better test would be one of those vomeronasal devices. :D

Putangitangi":3vfofi80 said:
Ron we'll expect the update in three weeks: yes or no!

I always remember the one I bred on the twitch of an ear. That was the only sign I saw to start with, couldn't get anyone else to take any interest in her. She probably sniffed others when I got her near them, can't recall, but she got in calf when I did her about six hours after the alert look and the ear movement.

Ruth, back from the farm. Vulva dry and pale. Looking pretty positive!!! If it was in one of the horns, it must have been the one the egg was in!!!!!!!

Putangitangi":1glwwiz8 said:
Good stuff. Well done. :)

Ruth she passed this cycle with flying colors. I watched her like a hawk. I am going to call her bred. Got two more that were the same kinda deal that were last of the opens. I will know on them the 12th of July.

Putangitangi":m63x0bhp said:
Not sure I'd feel so certain until after the next heat is due! Especially when stealth is her habit.

Why I have a reason to be confident:
A. Having caught that first cycle, I had a window in which to suspect her next cycle.
B. Knowing about when that cycle was to occur, I could hone in on her. I am at my farm during most of the daylight hours. I checked her several times per day.
C. I watched for every nuance. Smelling, bellowing or mooing, raising a head behind another cow; all the secondary heat signs. Most of all, I physically opened her vulva a couple times a day to check for moistness and color. I have not seen a cow yet that was in heat that did not have a pink interior and some moistness.
D. I never saw one indication this week that she was in heat. Her vulva was so dry, it was sometimes difficult to open. It was always pale.

I do not think she even had a "stealth estrus".

Latest posts