Starving to death

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron wonder what would happen if somebody helped him feed ;-) The hays there and he isn't :eek: Be a shame if 5-6 bales fell out the door everyday.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":yg0pghnu said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":yg0pghnu said:
3-4 square bales? I wouldnt think that would even equal a 4X5 round bale. Heck my 40 can eat 20 4X5 rolls in 2 days. They eat about a bale a day basically in the winter time. 3-4 square bales a week is not enough. I think this feller needs to be in trouble and then will realize well perhaps I shouldnt neglect my animals anymore.
Well the grass was real short and there were slim pickins. I failed to mention that there were 32 calves also eating the hay. So thats really 72. Perhaps I should have made that clear. I apologize for the confusion.
I'm sure this was just a typo. He meant 2 not 20. right TTCLM?
He's a Master cattle producer, not clerical help ;-)
But I would wonder. You've posted about the quanity and cost of all the hay in your area. Why would you cut the grazing so short just to make hay? Wouldn't it be cheaper to let the cows cut it?

dj":4jzt3fll said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":4jzt3fll said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":4jzt3fll said:
3-4 square bales? I wouldnt think that would even equal a 4X5 round bale. Heck my 40 can eat 20 4X5 rolls in 2 days. They eat about a bale a day basically in the winter time. 3-4 square bales a week is not enough. I think this feller needs to be in trouble and then will realize well perhaps I shouldnt neglect my animals anymore.
Well the grass was real short and there were slim pickins. I failed to mention that there were 32 calves also eating the hay. So thats really 72. Perhaps I should have made that clear. I apologize for the confusion.
But I would wonder. You've posted about the quanity and cost of all the hay in your area. Why would you cut the grazing so short just to make hay? Wouldn't it be cheaper to let the cows cut it?

TTCLM, Maybe I'm confused I thought your grass was green up into early Feb. Why are you feeding so much hay in March and April ?

Bama":jm8m4cgx said:
dj":jm8m4cgx said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":jm8m4cgx said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":jm8m4cgx said:

TTCLM, Maybe I'm confused I thought your grass was green up into early Feb. Why are you feeding so much hay in March and April ?
That 37912 zip code must have some special grass. Bama, you'd make a great detective.

MikeJoel":23lhbk6i said:
We would someone like that want cows?
Obviously a selfish person (to treat an animal without any respect for life). Im in no way a "fuzzy" person but an animal has life, and if you own it your responsible for it to make sure you do what you can to keep it healthy.

Might help to have a second call go in to "back up" the first.

Hope something gets done,
Mike

A lot of people don't realize this, Mike. They are of the mindset that 'it's just an animal and can, therefore, take care of itself'. Witness the number of dogs and cats that are dumped everyday because they are an inconvience, the number of horses and cattle that are forced to live in subpar conditions because their owners are too stupid or too lazy to take the time to find out how to care for them, the cruel and inhumane treatment of various species due to ignorance or apathy. If people would accept the responsibility for taking care of their animals, and put forth the required effort to find out how to care for those animals and make sure those animals were cared for properly, there would be no need for ASPCA, the Humane Society, or any of the other departments that oversee the health and welfare of animals - and I'm not talking about PETA. Too many people see cattle, dogs, sheep, goats, and other animals as an easy way to make money and don't put forth the effort needed to educate themselves about how to care for these animals - they see it as 'what can the animal do for me, not what can I do to make sure this animal is taken care of'. Therein lies the problem. Having said that and having complete faith in Ctlbaron's ability to judge when animals are starved or not, I would also agree with previous posts and suggest caution as there just might be a few mitigating circumstances that are not readily apparent. Just my thoughts

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":8cwpei5v said:
Is the grass green? I have fed very little hay this year as my pasture is still green and lush. In fact when I have fed hay this year the cows looked at me like what the heck are you feeding us hay for cant you see we are full and just walked away. I feed about a bail every 2 weeks now. They just dont want any hay cuz the grass is still green. Id say around february is when i will have to start feeding them lots of hay.

Bama":3myh6w43 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3myh6w43 said:
Is the grass green? I have fed very little hay this year as my pasture is still green and lush. In fact when I have fed hay this year the cows looked at me like what the heck are you feeding us hay for cant you see we are full and just walked away. I feed about a bail every 2 weeks now. They just dont want any hay cuz the grass is still green. Id say around february is when i will have to start feeding them lots of hay.

Okay was it slim pickins or lush and green. Please help me understand.

Bama":3encs835 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3encs835 said:

Good detective wirk Bama!!!!! I think I was in on that string.

DJ I thought about that myself. His place is plastered with no trespassing signs. His neighbor thought it best to let the authorities know about the situation and let them handel it.

ctlbaron":1wvwfwq9 said:
DJ I thought about that myself. His place is plastered with no trespassing signs. His neighbor thought it best to let the authorities know about the situation and let them handel it.

I wanted to comment when DJ made the statement. Ctlbaron, if you "accidentaly" fed these cows hay, it would in no way improve the root cause of the problem: the underserving fool. Sure the cows now will be better off, but the guy won't care; he may just smile and let you do it. I'd make a second, third, fourth, fifth cal to the authorities. Do you have anyone you know that could "pull some strings" in the local govt.? Maybe they could help. Sorry if it sounds political, but I'm From Louisiana, where it never matters what you know, but who; and politics & "dealings" are a way of life.

cypressfarms":368o65yl said:
ctlbaron":368o65yl said:

I wanted to comment when DJ made the statement. Ctlbaron, if you "accidentaly" fed these cows hay, it would in no way improve the root cause of the problem: the underserving fool. Sure the cows now will be better off, but the guy won't care; he may just smile and let you do it. I'd make a second, third, fourth, fifth cal to the authorities. Do you have anyone you know that could "pull some strings" in the local govt.? Maybe they could help. Sorry if it sounds political, but I'm From Louisiana, where it never matters what you know, but who; and politics & "dealings" are a way of life.

It might not correct the root cause but I'll bet for that moment
the animals would be thankful. I thought the problem was starving cattle. I'll bet those cows can put hunger on hold while you make those 4-5 calls.
Your not going to change human behavior. Even if you beat him,take away his possessions, put him in prison. Some folks are what they are. An the cows are still hungry.
While I don't cotton to mob mentality, I ain't scared of no tresspassing signs. And maybe if he(the absent) owner brought charges it would bring the whole situation to light.
Are we more worried about the cattle starving or making sure the owner "toes the line".

I talked to a couple of county heavyweights this morning that have cattle. They were going to go see these cattle after breakfast and check the situation out. They said if they looked like I said they did they would have something done about it by lunch. I'm sure they have the clout to get it done. I also told the county agent about it and he was going to look at them as soon as he hung up the phone. I'm sure that they will be taken care of from now on with or without the owner. I would have been trying to get these cattle some help sooner if I had known about it. I just happened to take a different way home the day I saw them. I'll be going that way more often now. I may throw too much feed at my animals and I understand some may be a little down this time of year, but these as crowder said were eating sage grass and sawbrier leaves. The place is a rock pile and probably only 2 or 3 inches of soil in most of the lot. At it's best the grass is poor what little there is.

ctlbaron I do not care much for people that know nothing about raising cattle sticking their nose in were it does not ****ing belong!! :mad: .
But.......... In your case you do have the knowledge and you should be proud of yourself for giving a **** and doing something about the abuse. Glad to hear something is being done today.

dj":241j8w8t said:
cypressfarms":241j8w8t said:
ctlbaron":241j8w8t said:

It might not correct the root cause but I'll bet for that moment
the animals would be thankful. I thought the problem was starving cattle. I'll bet those cows can put hunger on hold while you make those 4-5 calls.
Your not going to change human behavior. Even if you beat him,take away his possessions, put him in prison. Some folks are what they are. An the cows are still hungry.
While I don't cotton to mob mentality, I ain't scared of no tresspassing signs. And maybe if he(the absent) owner brought charges it would bring the whole situation to light.
Are we more worried about the cattle starving or making sure the owner "toes the line".

Even though the most urgent humane thing to do might be to feed them. But unless you are willing to do this for the rest of these cows life, and the cows to come after them. Calling the officials seems to be the best thing to do to me.

He will learn his lesson after they fine him, take the cows and charge him to bring them up to perfect heath and body score. Probably pay some vet to take care of them till they are fat and happy. That happened to a person with some horses in our area and the person had to pay thousands of dollars for their boarding and health. Plus they faced neglect charges.

I even hate discussing such issues, as it truely gets my dander up.

Several weeks ago at the sale barn, I saw a holstien steer that had been obviously starved, and lived in a manure pit as it was caked in it, even a huge solid ball of manure at the end of the tail. Worse yet, it was almost 40 % covered in ringworm lesions, not to mention the obvious lice problems, and of course the inevetable respritory illness.

Yes I bought it and put it in an unused hutch, I am not sure it even knew what grain was until then.

Even being carefull with it's grain intake, I have so far had to deal with bloat, the re-occuring pneumonia, along with the general unthrifty nature of the poor thing.

On the postive side, I have a calf that is calm, easy to work with, and even though I know it is all in my mind, 'seems' to understand and appreciate that I am trying to better it's lot in life. Although I have goone through quite a few pairs of latex gloves handling this poor guy. Perhaps one day in a few months I will have somthing positive to :cboy: show for it. Or not. But at least I can say that I tried.

Oh, and failed to mention, in the past few years, it has been a habit of mine to stalk the various cattle sales around here during the months of Jan-though March, the times when alot of 'starved' cattle get brought in for sale, one can puchase a potentially good animal at bargain prices that way, and the simple addition of worming, vaccinations, and most importantly, groceries makes for a fine animal. :cboy:

Aplus I'll equate that to me opening a door for someone.
It doesn't mean I become a doorman for life. It means at the moment there was something I could do to hopefully make someones life more pleasant.
I sure your traveled enough in this world to be familiar with the people at the end of the exit and entrance ramps. Just because I buy them 2-3 hamburgers doesn't mean I take'em to raise.

Are we wanting to feed the cows or extract a pound of flesh from the owner? Both could be accomplished.

ctlbaron how bout updates on what happens here?
Hope your calls and visits made some difference.
You've already done more than some who were closer to the situation :clap: hats off to you.

dj":1spwnmgx said:
Aplus I'll equate that to me opening a door for someone.
It doesn't mean I become a doorman for life. It means at the moment there was something I could do to hopefully make someones life more pleasant.
I sure your traveled enough in this world to be familiar with the people at the end of the exit and entrance ramps. Just because I buy them 2-3 hamburgers doesn't mean I take'em to raise.

Are we wanting to feed the cows or extract a pound of flesh from the owner? Both could be accomplished.

ctlbaron how bout updates on what happens here?
Hope your calls and visits made some difference.
You've already done more than some who were closer to the situation :clap: hats off to you.

If you are not planning on feeding them for life then you might post a end to the solution that has action or result besides just feeding them. I might have missed it but all you mentioned was feeding the cattle for the guy. Maybe something like feed them some hay and call the law?

I say dong give them a fish (hay) for the day, teach them to Fish (give them a new owner) ;-)

Aplus I thought I did post a solution.
Someone feeds the cows his hay.
He makes his once a week trip see's hay gone.
Dam the thieves! Call the law!
Ding the rest solves itself. He invited them on the property.
If they see something alarming about the cattle, with no plausible explanation they call the state vet or whomever.
Cattle fed.
Owner dealt with.
But neither one of us are there. So this is my last thoughts on the subject.

Latest posts