Starving to death

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I was on the way home yesterday and passed by a place, I won't call it a farm because there is obviously no farmer there. There were about 20 cows in a lot that were so poor you could count every rib. These cattle were in the worse shape of any I've ever seen. Should I try to buy the pitiful looking things from the guy or just turn him in? I can see square bales in the barn loft from the road. It just fires me up to see somebody get stock and starve them to death. :x

Bullbuyer":15own856 said:
Call the sheriff now ! Teach this scum bag a lesson.

I agree call the law I :mad: people that are to lazy to take care of an animal or to dumb to own one. I raise cattle for hamburger, Lord Almighty nothing deserves that kind of treatment.

Turn him in. Doesn't teach him a thing if you offer to buy the cows. Just gives him more money to go buy another group and do it all over again.

milkmaid":1pgjnaoq said:
Turn him in. Doesn't teach him a thing if you offer to buy the cows. Just gives him more money to go buy another group and do it all over again.

true.

he didnt by chance just buy these cows though, did he? i guess youve seen them there a while. i know i would be a little ill if i'd just bought some emaciated cows to help (like you were thinking of doing) and someone called the law on me.

Definetly call the authorities!!! Follow through and make sure things are takin care of. If you have room for the cows i would let the authorities know so that u can ensure a safe home for these poor animals!!! :cry:

only thing i wonder about if you seen um for the first time how do you know that he might not be a buyer. not saying he is but some fellers buy poor cattle and fatten um back up might do a little investigating before i turned him in

There can be lots of opinions of humane treatment in different areas of cattle care but letting stock get down to that condition over a period of time - no excuse. Just criminal.

Makes us all look bad, and we don't need that right now.

( Now if the guy has croaked, then we may let him off the hook, this time ).

ctlbaron":1un1lf9h said:
I was on the way home yesterday and passed by a place, I won't call it a farm because there is obviously no farmer there. There were about 20 cows in a lot that were so poor you could count every rib. These cattle were in the worse shape of any I've ever seen. Should I try to buy the pitiful looking things from the guy or just turn him in? I can see square bales in the barn loft from the road. It just fires me up to see somebody get stock and starve them to death. :x
I would do a little investigatin first.
Could be there is no farmer there (just maybe he is layed up in the hospital)
Maybe he just bought them as stated above (how would you feel if you bought them some passerby called the law on you without checkin fist.
Grandpa always said dont go off half cocked.
If he has just let them go, then you can shoot him :)

If they are that poor - he's been in the hospital more than a day or two (or dead as noted previously). I'd rather make the call now and let him answer to the authorities - if he bought recently, he'll have some sort of receipt for 'em.
We've all bought a few that needed groceries but this sounds like something that's going to end up on Animal Planet or whatever that tv channel is.

Answer this question - if it was a starving kid, what would you do ?

All God's creatures...

I hope you get a better response then I did when I turned a guy in down the road from me. Took them three weeks to get out, and now the animals are in about the same condition.

:mad:

I'd find out what's going on before I starting calling the law in on someone. Sometimes people stick their nose where it doesn't belong - kinda like PETA.

I definately don't believe in starving or abusing animals, but what is abuse in the eyes of one person, may be normal procedure in the eyes of many others.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to turn me in when they heard a calf bellering and smoke flying at branding time.

TXBobcat":30mzt24g said:
I'd find out what's going on before I starting calling the law in on someone. Sometimes people stick their nose where it doesn't belong - kinda like PETA.

I definately don't believe in starving or abusing animals, but what is abuse in the eyes of one person, may be normal procedure in the eyes of many others.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to turn me in when they heard a calf bellering and smoke flying at branding time.
Well said. I agree completely. I don't believe in abusing animals either, but I think most of us that try to make money with cattle have some thin ones or unhealthy ones from time to time. And we sure don't need PETA and the law trying to tell us how to run our business when that happens.

Surely you can take the time to find out some more information before you call the law.

ctlbaron":m9g81pqd said:
Baron, We got them around here like that too.I know of two particular places where there are "Cow Collectors" They have them just as ornanments. One place is 15 acres and has about 30 head, the other is larger but the DumbA$$ that has them wont take care of them. They live on Broom Sage and Multi-Flora Roses and are all inbred.If there's a circumstance such as illness, there's room to have some understanding to some extent, but to blatently ignore the needs of any animal, is down right criminal.

TXBobcat":17hjfnzn said:

True - however, if it were just a newbie to the forum that I didn't know yet, I'd have the same "do-they-know-what-they're-talking-about?" attitude -- but, I trust ctlbaron has enough experience with cattle to know what starved/abused cattle look like.

Texan":17hjfnzn said:
I don't believe in abusing animals either, but I think most of us that try to make money with cattle have some thin ones or unhealthy ones from time to time.

Yep - but on the other hand, we don't usually have the entire herd looking thin and unthrifty, and we don't usually pen the one or two sick ones that need TLC out in full view of the road. I know when I have one that isn't doing so great, it stays out by the barn where no one can see it until it's doing better.

Bullbuyer":3io1pxha said:
Answer this question - if it was a starving kid, what would you do ?

Talk to them first... Afterall would you want to remove a child from a family that was going to take care of him/her just because you didn't want to ask what was up, and had the wrong idea?

A lot of problems are started by people thinking something and jumping to an action that is completely wrong. So I would go talk to them first, they don't even need to know what you are really after.
Tell them you saw the cows from the road and were interested in what breed they were or something, ...................... ).

Mike

I talked to the man next door to these cattle. He says the guy shows up about once a week, rolls out 3 or 4 square bales to around 30 head and gone for another week. He says the authorities were notified about a week ago. He did see the vet there Saturday looking them over. Hopefully it will be taken care of.

We would someone like that want cows?
Obviously a selfish person (to treat an animal without any respect for life). Im in no way a "fuzzy" person but an animal has life, and if you own it your responsible for it to make sure you do what you can to keep it healthy.

Might help to have a second call go in to "back up" the first.

Hope something gets done,
Mike

Keep us posted on this joker.
Be interested to hear how it turns out - seems like there's a fair amount of difference on how to approach this issue. Guess I fall into the "shoot now ask questions later" category.

Latest posts