Starting to get the itch

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
So I've been thinking that it's about time for me to acquire a new gun. I have been reading a lot about the 6.5Creedmoor. It would fill a gap in my gun cabinet.
Anybody have one? Likes / dislikes?
I've been looking at Ruger American in stainless. Will probably put a different stock on eventually.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That caliber is sure being hyped by the sports writers. I have my doubts about some of the claims. Probably a decent caliber but not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Son has one to me it's all hype!
308, 7-08 and 243 are all based off the 308 brass so is the 6.5. So you have 243, 284 and 308 diameter bullets with the 6.5 you get 264. What does that buy you over the other three? Nothing but more expensive ammo. I own 243, 7-08 and 308 if the 7-08 came up amiss in the cabinet my feelings wouldn't be hurt.
I will take the 243 hands down over the 7-08.
I am more impressed with the 350 Legend in a new cartridge.

Wait a couple years, and they will come up with a new round that is the great of all time. Then you will wanting new rifle.
Good plan to keep selling new rifles.

My 30-30, 30-06, and 45-70 will never leave. A 243 has been on my list for a long time. A 6.5 has caught my interest. Don't "need" it. But I can always find room for another gun.

I bought a 6.5 x 52 Karcano when I was a teenage with iron sights for $100. It was a great flat shooting woodchuck gun. But, when I could find amo, it was $30-35 a box for anything. I sold it a few years latter for $100. I learned that there is never a cheap off caliber gun to own.

I would second the .243 vote. Really not a lot of difference in a lot of these cartridges. Of course I also don't know why you can't want them all. A lot of good choices out there get the one you want then start saving for the next one.

The 6.5 cm doesn't buy you much unless you shoot long range > 500 yards. The 243 is excellent on deer and long range but you will only get about 1200 rounds before accuracy starts to go down, it's hell on barrels. I started years ago with the 260 before the Creedmoor's came out. The 260 if you reload will give you a few more feet per second but nowadays the popularity of the Creedmoor's makes ammunition and components easier to fine than the 260. I shoot thousands of rounds of long range rifle each year so if there's something more specific you want to know just let me know

Last edited:

Latest posts