Starting over

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffMills517

Reaction score
If you had to start over with just one breed, no cross-breeding, hide color doesn't matter, what breed would you pick and why?

Red Angus or if I could find them some of the older Shorthorn genetics (pre asterisk)

I mean, that the market for particular colors doesn't matter. Of course your personal preference for color will come into play.

if it was just what i wanted that i liked the best to have it would be horned hereford. for making a living and it could only be one kind probaly brangus.

insurman":kinw5dn3 said:
So why horned hereford vs polled?
I would not say that all polled herefords are bad but just in all my expierences you can have a really good polled bull and a good polled cow and have a calf that is not as good i don't know why but me and sevarel of my 70 plus year old freinds that have had both and have been in the business for all there lives have all came up with the same thing.

I like where I am and would probably do it all over again....Registered Angus.....but I would do less of the chasing I did in my youth and stick more to what I believe is true....stay out of the showring and let the scales guide my herd in the right directions.

not knocking anyone elses breed or choices....they all have value or they would not be here.

back in the dark ages when I was in college Dr. George Green made the statement "There is as much Variation within breeds as there is between breeds." It was true then and I think it is still true today certainly for the breeds that have some numbers....

it is important to pick one you love....have an ideal animal in mind and work toward that ideal....breeding cattle is a lifes work.... unless you have plenty of money...then the marketing of someone elses life work becomes the project.

I have had a much harder time with horses....
i love all types and over the years the ones I covet have changed.....
I still love foundation quarter horses....
I love old type big stout good minded walking horses....
I love Rocky Mountain horses for their gait and disposition....
I love drafters and mules as well....
What I like in a horse and what I need in a horse, as a beat up and broke down old man, are not necessarily the same either....

I am pretty pleased with what I have now, and the direction we are taking them.

If was in the position to become a multi breed seed stock producer, I would likely add RA or Gelbvieh.

Latest posts