Starting over

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1ovgal33 said:
JeffMills517":1ovgal33 said:
So Brangus seems to be a popular choice...anything else?
That's because most of the replys are from the southern thied of the country. Above that most anything with ear is a loser at saletime.
If I lived any farther north than central ok I would not have chosen brangus. The ear is of no use above that line.

JeffMills517":hqa16rm4 said:
Jeff it just depends on your market. As others have said, farther north the brahman influence will hurt you as well as in part of the southeast. Down here it brings a premium.

TexasBred":2ay7vxth said:
JeffMills517":2ay7vxth said:
Jeff it just depends on your market. As others have said, farther north the brahman influence will hurt you as well as in part of the southeast. Down here it brings a premium.
Right. Up here in Kentucky there isn't much market for Brahman-influenced cattle. Although if it continues to be as hot and dry as it was here this year I could see that changing. I personally am partial to Red cattle. Red Polls intrigue me honestly. But I like yellow Gelbvieh too. I also love looking at a field full of Herefords.

ALACOWMAN":1z8hal62 said:
what does your market like looking at?? i ask this queston, because its gonna matter sooner or later, maybe not now..... but it will
My (limited) experience has been that uniformity has been more important than color. I haven't noticed a huge difference in a group of solid red steers going for less than a group of solid black steers. But that is my admittingly limited experience. But I asked the question mainly to see what breeds people liked just for the breed themselves and not because what they bring to a crossbreeding program or hide color.

Beautiful cattle TB!

What people need to realize is it is easy to knock the ear off these 3/8ths 5/8ths. Take a Brangus X Hereford momma and put a terminal bull over her and you can top any sale. A little ear will go a LONG ways in a lot of areas. And the truth is she is going to put out a heavier calf at weaning. This is true for all 3/8 5/8 breeds, I just happen to prefer a red momma cow. Have a look at Isos "super baldies", you don't think he's seeing $$$ on sale day? :nod:

JeffMills517":2rr9odq4 said:
ALACOWMAN":2rr9odq4 said:
what does your market like looking at?? i ask this queston, because its gonna matter sooner or later, maybe not now..... but it will
My (limited) experience has been that uniformity has been more important than color. I haven't noticed a huge difference in a group of solid red steers going for less than a group of solid black steers. But that is my admittingly limited experience. But I asked the question mainly to see what breeds people liked just for the breed themselves and not because what they bring to a crossbreeding program or hide color.
i figure you mean quaility, and thats true...

ALACOWMAN":1abbk2iy said:
JeffMills517":1abbk2iy said:
ALACOWMAN":1abbk2iy said:
i figure you mean quaility, and thats true...
Not only quality but frame and muscle too.