Starting Over

Help Support CattleToday:

Jena

Reaction score
Some here may remember me. It's a long story, but I have lost everything due to my lying, thieving husband. I opened a letter from the bank back in March and my world fell apart. It has been very tough, but at this point, I have paid the bank back every penny I owed them and got rid of the liar. The only cow I have left is the one I had tattooed on my arm as a reminder that I can raise cattle and I did it once before. I was thinking that was going to be the only cow I would ever have, but....

I simply cannot live without cattle. I can't. Yeah, I can survive and go to work and pretend I'm living, but I can't really live without cattle. So...

I have no ground (well, 1.5 acres around the house), no equipment and very little money. I'm thinking of taking what little money I do have and buying some cattle. I am pretty sure I can get some free pasture to use, or I know of another I can rent for cheap. I figure I can put my cattle on that ground, run them through the grazing season and then sell out. Do it again next year, hopefully with a little more money so I can buy a few more head. Maybe someday I can save up enough to get some ground, but who cares...as long as I have cattle to look after.

I am supposed to sign the final papers with the liar in a few days. Before I do, I will go secure myself a hay ring or two, a fence charger, water tank, corral panels and other "small" equipment. It used to seem incidental, but without any money, those things add up quick. At least I will have the basics.

As I said, I was raising cattle and I do understand the expenses of maintaining them, even if all they eat is grass. I also understand that short term cows don't always calve when they are supposed too (if at all), stockers get sick and sometimes die, etc etc etc. Been there, done that on all of the things that can go wrong with cattle. I am not the best cattle person in the world, but I am confident that I can go to the sale barn and hold my own. I am also confident that I can deal with whatever nightmare I bring home (have to pay to have them hauled, no trailer).

Am I crazy? I keep thinking that I can't do this, but I don't see why not. I have the knowledge to raise them. I know who to call to do the things I can't, such as hauling them. What else do I need? It's like a mental block that tells me I can't raise cattle by myself. I know enough to know that I can't count on making money, but I'm pretty sure I will make a little bit, or at least break even.

What do you all think?

Jena

Jena, sorry to hear about your troubles but one thing I have learned in life is make sure I know what is going on with finances and not take someone's word (ex) about the situation. I see many marriages where one person handles all the finances and in my opinion that is just asking for trouble. Both parties should know the facts. Well, with that said, I would wait until spring to try and get started. With winter approaching your expenses will be higher trying to feed through the winter months. Save you money and buy in spring. That's my advice. Good luck.

flaboy+":eqgt1z74 said:
Jena, sorry to hear about your troubles but one thing I have learned in life is make sure I know what is going on with finances and not take someone's word (ex) about the situation. I see many marriages where one person handles all the finances and in my opinion that is just asking for trouble. Both parties should know the facts. Well, with that said, I would wait until spring to try and get started. With winter approaching your expenses will be higher trying to feed through the winter months. Save you money and buy in spring. That's my advice. Good luck.
I'd do exactly what Flaboy said. Get your infrastucture going,get your land secured, and whatever you feel you need to start over with. It will give you more satisfaction to know you're going to do it on your own, and a lot to look forward to. Sorry the rug got pulled from under you. A lot of us here have probably been there before. Sometimes, it can make you a stronger person. Things WILL get better.Let us all know how you're progressing.

One thing I can say is that although it is easier to have help, if you have the knowledge and willpower you can do it on your own! Good luck!

Well you got the HAT the BOOTS and the WILL you can make it happen. just dont create a nightmare for youself.start out with a couple of weaning heifers on that much ground then later AI them

Jena,

Check your mailbox. I've pm'ed you a women's point of view. You'll get a lot of good advice from these board members that I know will help you in making a good decision based on what is best for you at this time in your life.

Best of luck to you and know we're all pulling for ya!

You can do it alone. While I was growing up my mother had 100 head and took care of them by herself plus us three kids. I guess we "helped" but really I think for the amount of help we offered compared to the time we took she could have raised the cattle much better without us. So don't ever think that you can't do it alone.

I do agree with what others are saying. Wait until spring. I wish you the best.

Good luck to you...I've done the start over a number of times and have earned the knowledge and experience to come out better than before. One of the best pieces of advise that I imparted to my daughters was to maintain your own secret savings account, great way to save for the future and you will never be held prisoner financially if you ever need to get out quick.
Great advise from the board....wait until spring. You could find some of the things that you need at farm auctions or sales during the winter months and will have the time to make a sound plan and set goals and milestones.
DMc

I hear you on this one. I have worn shoes of a similar fit.....it bites. You have all the advise from the others, I agree with them. I am trying to build from the ground up too.....and I feel the same about having cattle.....I just love it.....don't know exactly why......they are just awsome. I am pulling for you......you will make it happen.

You can do it! For the times when/where you'd need help you say it is available, so go for it. I would take the other's advice about re-starting in the spring. Take the winter to "get all your ducks in a row". You'll be better prepared. Besides, for now you do at least have one cow.
Good luck to you.

Katherine

Jena":3rzotaif said:
Am I crazy? I keep thinking that I can't do this, but I don't see why not. I have the knowledge to raise them. I know who to call to do the things I can't, such as hauling them. What else do I need? It's like a mental block that tells me I can't raise cattle by myself. I know enough to know that I can't count on making money, but I'm pretty sure I will make a little bit, or at least break even.

What do you all think?

Jena

First, no you are not crazy! Second, as someone who has just finalized a divorce I also don't think it's as much of a 'mental block' as it is a new appreciation for the tremendous ups and downs that life has to offer. It's made you cautious, it also makes you doubt yourself. Listen to your heart and go with your gut. You cannot go wrong if you will just do those two little things. I wish you the very best! You go girl!!!

Sorry for all you are going through. One other thought, many times there is someone who needs help with their cattle who might make a deal with you to take care of their cattle on the shares. Or someone who will buy cattle and has the ground and needs someone to care for and feed them for a percentage of the profit or of the cattle. I would think that it might be a good way to start getting some cattle of your own if you can make a deal with someone who has land but needs help so that you arent out every penny for the cattle and expenses. Cattle are extremely high right now, so it is a risky investment. They may be high for a while or the prices might come down soon, none of us know for sure. This would be a way to get back in without the capital investment and risk. Best of luck

I agree with flaboy -- hope all goes well for you. Been there, done that myself. Good luck.

Sorry for your troubles. We bought our first stockers this spring and think they may have been more profitable than the cow calf operation, a little more work at first getting them lined out but they eventually went to grazing and gaining. God bless!

Jena
Do you still have a meat sales goal? You can buy some very low priced corn right now!!!!!! See your friend at the sale barn and buy a couple of good ''plain'' steers to feed this winter. A wagon load of corn and a few rolls of hay can make some good beef by spring. If you can sell it by the pkg. you should make some decent money. If you do this it will not take much space to do it. Glad to see you back and kicking :D
your friend
Mike

Sounds like you've got a lot of grit. Kinda reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara when she came back to a ruined Tara and started rebuilding the plantation. Of course, she was a fictitious lady, but she built an empire. Just keep on pluggin and if you really want it bad enough, you'll achieve it!

I sure aint gonna tell you you cant do it, but here is another suggestion. Cattle are at the top of the market right now, and they are starting to slowly fall. Why not wait a few years and buy back in at the bottom of the market. In the between time start to get your poke saved, and be ready for the good deals that will be coming. To keep your hand in the cattle biz, work with the kids in 4H clubs in your area. I can assure you it can be quite rewarding and it wont cost you a dime.

Latest posts