Starting over, Fencing recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Littlejohn

Reaction score
I've sold my place earlier this year and moved the cows to a leased farm that will be over stocked as the summer goes on. Closed on a new farm last weekend, with very little fence. The new place has leased crops on part of it. Property is rolling, with crops on the ridges, and I'm planning to put cattle on the hill sides (some trees). As of right now, the work will be done by dad and my self.

1 neighbor has cows, but they are on the other side of his farm, 1 neighbor is just a house on some land, and the other neighbor is the US Army Corps (flood control land)

I want to do it right, but funds are limited, and I have to have all the cows off the leased farm by the end of the year.
If you could start over on fencing what would you do?

1)5 strand Barb Wire
2)Woven wire (if so, what style, example 1047-6-12, 842-12-12)
3)5 strand high tensile (4 hot, 1 ground)

I would like to go with the high tensile, every where, but I had some problems at the last farm with grounding and 6 month old calves getting out.

I'm a 5 strand barbed wire man. T post 10' apart, and a wood post every tenth post.

I think HT is the way to go. You might want to consider having the first three strands closer together and closer to the ground in order to keep the young calves in so that the third strand is chest high on an adult.

Good luck to you. With the recent passing of my dad, we're reconsidering lots of things we were doing here, too.

For perimeter 5 strand barbed for internal a single 12.5 gauge hotwire with a good charger and ground system.

high tensile barbed wire, like Bekaert 15.5 Gauge
net wire has been nothing but trouble for us
personal opinion is electric is for temporary cross fencing and not for permanent fences

So what's the thought on woven wire with a strand or two of barb wire on top?

TennesseeTuxedo":1fsimwmi said:
Oh, and we also run a strand of barbed about midway up the posts to discourage pushing and rubbing.

Lose the woven wire, and add a strand of two of wire, and you'd have yourself a nice fence :lol:

Woven wire is my favorite but five strands of barbed wire is what I do. Barbed wire is WAY easier to build solid fence with on anything except flat ground.

I was in the same situation a year and a half ago. Woven wire is the way to go but the most expensive. I put a six strand high tinsel fence up. I built it myself and made it where every strand would be hot. I have the second and the fourth strain from the bottom hot now and have not had any escapes. I put the post on an average of 18 feet apart, I used 6 inch post for the corner and brace post and 4 inch for line post. I drove the post in the ground with a post driver. When I got finished I had like 85 cents a foot in it and that included my gates. So for the time and money its hands down the best way to go.

I have an 8 strand hi tensile fence along a rural road which has given zero problems with cows and calves from birth to weaning.Also have some 10-47-6-11 which was put in new in 1975 and still in fair shape.A good 5 or 6 strand barbed hi tensile s good,too -except where deer cross through it.You are constantly getting overstretched wires.
If you decide to go with barb,you may want to put in the ratchets like with smooth wire to snug them up.Braces are your main thing with any fence.

TT,

I'm with you on the woven, it's just to rich for my blood. If you got a texas fence fixer, barbed wire ain't a bit of trouble to work on either.

Bigfoot":24keuh37 said:
TT,

I'm with you on the woven, it's just to rich for my blood. If you got a texas fence fixer, barbed wire ain't a bit of trouble to work on either.

I actually bought one of those from Livestock Shed and I've only gotten to use it a couple of times.

I like it.

Latest posts