Starting out

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I had an intersting question put to me yesterday and thought a more complete answer may be available from the board participants.

BTW, really nice young man and I enjoyed his visit.

He has a beef herd and is curious about relocating because of the encroachment of civilization. The question was where would be a good place for someone to relocate to that has the availability of land at a reasonable price that is suitable and in large enough tracts to make running cows feasible. Not much threat of being over run within the next 20-30 years by townies. A marketing infrastructure in a reasonable proximity. Decent living conditions and where the residents aren;t so clanninsh that they wouldn;t be treated like lepers because of being outsiders.
I suggested maybe SD since the winter temps wouldn;t bother them. But that was just an off the top of my head kind of deal. My first choce was actaully south of here because of the weather.

Thanks

dun

There are many folks buying in south-east Oklahoma right now. You can still buy a couple hundred acres reasonable. They are planning on retiring to there in 15 or so years. I know another guy who bought 400 acres near Navasota, Texas. He claims he sold 25 acres here and bought that place with the money.

I would definitely rule out NorthWestern Montana..... Eastern Montana may be a consideration!!!!
I have a brother that keeps looking at Kentucky... But I've never been there...

backhoeboogie":3orht1rl said:
There are many folks buying in south-east Oklahoma right now. You can still buy a couple hundred acres reasonable. They are planning on retiring to there in 15 or so years. I know another guy who bought 400 acres near Navasota, Texas. He claims he sold 25 acres here and bought that place with the money.

Hush! We don't need more people in OK!

West central Illinois isn't it. They auctioned 500 some odd acres last week split up in smaller tracts all tillable.The highest was $4600. acre, lowest $2400. acre and all local farmers bought it. How can they afford to do this? At this rate I will never be able to buy more land. :cry: :cry:

I was looking on the internet a couple weeks ago at land up in Saskatchewan & Alberta. You can buy some decent size tracts for a decent price, at least when compared to land prices around my area.

I've also thought of moving to North Dakota or further North in Minnesota in the future.

I've also thought of moving to North Dakota or further North in Minnesota in the future.

Is northern MN flatter than I'm picturing? Thought it was highly wooded up that way. Never have liked the temps I see in Grand Marais and Ely, which is about 10 degrees colder than I have here in northwestern WI.

SE ALABAMA Property is still reasonable in the area (1,000-1,500 per acre) This for 100 acres and up though, some is improved farm land and some mixed with timber and farm land.

born2run said:

Is northern MN flatter than I'm picturing? Thought it was highly wooded up that way. Never have liked the temps I see in Grand Marais and Ely, which is about 10 degrees colder than I have here in northwestern WI.

Northeastern MN is heavily wooded and rocky. The Western side is pretty flat, especially the Red River Valley area. I agree about the temps though, I really don't want to live anywhere much colder than it is here in the central part of the state.

knowing very little about it, Montana pops into my mind first.

have seen quite a few places for sale at $150/acre there and not too far from the midwest feedlots.

Aero":19dh9pm5 said:

have seen quite a few places for sale at $150/acre there and not too far from the midwest feedlots.

Doesn;t do much good if you need 100 acres per pair

dun

Dun, I'm not sure if he's adverse to living in Canada or not, but cow land in Saskatchewan is cheap and productive. On an average year, in my area, you need 2 acres of decent grass to keep a pair fed during grazing months, and another 3 - 4 acres of _ok_ hay land to feed them through the winter. I see plenty of quarters selling for $30 - $35,000. As far as marketing goes, the cow/calf operator has plenty of auction barns and private treaty opportunities. Fed animals are more restricted as the packers are trying to limit small operators from shipping, and prefer rather to deal with lots of 50 animals or more.

Rod

redfornow":1plfmlt0 said:
Where in Ky?
I need to take a look there....

MD
Sorry.. Not going to be much help.. My brother and I don't chat much... Everything that I hear is through one of our sisters...

dun":1eqks3uq said:
Aero":1eqks3uq said:

Doesn;t do much good if you need 100 acres per pair

dun
I would second that!!!

First question I would ask is what exactly would he mean by being over ran by townies? Does he not want a neighbor for 5 miles and own a few hundred acres or a few thousand?

I would think MO, KS & OK would offer some nice options. Maybe outside a small town, one that is not really very industrialized. Not bad cow per acre averages with land to be had under $1,000 per acre.

ChrisB":1gavmaov said:
I was looking on the internet a couple weeks ago at land up in Saskatchewan & Alberta. You can buy some decent size tracts for a decent price, at least when compared to land prices around my area.

The key in all of this is carrying capacity as Rod said there is some cheap land available in places..In fact i believe in Manitoba there is still in effect a financial incentive to get more immigrants into the province.

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx? ... ID=3732684

Latest posts