Starting my own angus herd

Help Support CattleToday:

KYFarmKid

Reaction score
I have grown up on a small family cattle farm in central Kentucky, I am currently in college and looking to begin my own herd. My ultimate goal is to have a large registered angus herd one day, but I am unsure on the best way to get there. Would it be better to start with commercial cattle and get a little money flow and slowly mixing in registered cows; or start with registered cattle from the start. Land for pasture and feed are not a problem, but start up money for buying cattle is tight at the moment, what would be the best option for me to take?
Also what is your preference when buying cattle, do you'll prefer to buy cow/calf pairs, open heifers, bred heifers, or bred cows?
Any other advise or tips you may have for me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

if you want to have a reg angus herd then start out buying reg angus.you need to have a place for cows 1st.then id buy bred cow as i had the money todo so.then id save up and buy another bred cow.and build a herd that way.

KY kid,
Re:
My ultimate goal is to have a large registered angus herd one day,
If that is your goal, then I agree with bigbull338. "start out buying reg angus".

Q, What do you intend to do with the calves from your registered Angus herd?
John

Buy the best red/black bred cows you can afford private treaty ASAP. Get at least 3 and get your ducks in a row to get em bred back.

Kingfisher":dmsk2l81 said:
Buy the best red/black bred cows you can afford private treaty ASAP. Get at least 3 and get your ducks in a row to get em bred back.
I agree with at least 3, but be patient the first few years and don't get ahead of yourself. In a few years your heard will be building from within, especially if you can AI.

A very wise person told me a few years ago. Don't go out buying the most expensive, perfect cow. That's the beauty of AI. You can fix and correct their flaws (minor) with AI, and uniformity should always be a goal. Good luck to ya

Some good advice has been given already.

What I will add is don't get hung up on only heifers or only bred cows. In any business always look for a soft spot... a deal... be the American Pickers of Angus cattle. Don't be too proud to play the Im just getting started card. Some older cattle with a couple calves left in them from and experienced guy would be right up your alley. :)

Good luck :tiphat:

Brute 23":181hxtk4 said:
Some good advice has been given already.

What I will add is don't get hung up on only heifers or only bred cows. In any business always look for a soft spot... a deal... be the American Pickers of Angus cattle. Don't be too proud to play the Im just getting started card. Some older cattle with a couple calves left in them from and experienced guy would be right up your alley. :)

Good luck :tiphat:

Ditto re getting an older Angus cow in still-decent shape, IF you can find one. We wish we'd done at least a bit of that. Started off a few years ago with yearlings and has taken us forever to get anything ready to sell, and still not there. Of course, to look on the bright side, in the meantime you have all those tax deductions. So there's that....

i changed my way of doing things in the reg business for a few reasons.1 i can sell all my top reg heifers quick.then i can buy back bred cows heifers or pairs.open reg beefmaster heifer sell fpr $2000 to $5000.so why keep the 3yrs till they wean a calf.when you can pay $3000 more less for cows and pay for them in 3yrs or less depending on her calf being a bull or heifer.

bigbull338":1l0kep4l said:
if you want to have a reg angus herd then start out buying reg angus.you need to have a place for cows 1st.then id buy bred cow as i had the money todo so.then id save up and buy another bred cow.and build a herd that way.
Bred to a registered angus bull.

Latest posts