starting a horse boarding biz

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Considering starting a horse boarding business. Lots of horse people in my area. Anyway, we are a cattle operation and were thinking of taking five acres or so and putting up some stalls and an outdoor riding arena. Now,..we don't have the time to feed someone elses animals. So we are just looking at a place for them to keep their horses, they will have to care for their own animals. We will run electric for tank heaters, and drill a well on site for water. We would build stalls, with some sort of shelter in each one, and a small outdoor arena. There is a highway with accessible right-of-way for riding as well. What could a person charge for this, considering we are a 20 minute drive from town? Is this idea even feasible? Thanks for any input.

The ones around here that I know of charge $150pr mnth plus feed and hay
The barn owner takes care of the feeding and stall cleaning I don't know how it would work if you don't have the time to feed them I think that is what most people want someone to do all the work and they get all the pleasure

You might try some flyers and ask for opinions and a wants and needs list
as with any business venture do your research intensively

also would need to check on your liability laws in your state I know several states have equine protection statutes on their books

boarding barns are closing around our area , too much work for the money. five acres is not going to carry more than a few horses , Any more than that and you'll have a five acre mud flat. If you stall them you're gonna need a lot of shavings $ , feed $ , and time $.

Then you have to deal with horse people , we all know how they are.

I run a boarding operation with 20 horses , we have 150 acres of pasture for them and don't stall up. We have a nice stall barn but for me to clean and feed i'd have to charge 350 to 400 per month to make any kind of money off it. We keep it simple , we have fabulous low maintenance boarders , and have three large pastures so we can always have one resting. With the feed and fertilizer costs , and the economy issues horses are falling down the priority list for alot of folks.

If you just want to make a few hundred a month boarding a few horses you'd be ok but investing the money in structures and hardware for a new operation might not pencil out very well for ya.

grubbie":1y6twcn9 said:
Considering starting a horse boarding business. Lots of horse people in my area. Anyway, we are a cattle operation and were thinking of taking five acres or so and putting up some stalls and an outdoor riding arena. Now,..we don't have the time to feed someone elses animals. So we are just looking at a place for them to keep their horses, they will have to care for their own animals. We will run electric for tank heaters, and drill a well on site for water. We would build stalls, with some sort of shelter in each one, and a small outdoor arena. There is a highway with accessible right-of-way for riding as well. What could a person charge for this, considering we are a 20 minute drive from town? Is this idea even feasible? Thanks for any input.

You need to talk to msscamp - she is in your neck of the woods and they either have or until recently did run a boarding stable - it is not all a bed of roses.

Give her a pm

Bez+

Thanks to all who replied. I am not so much looking to pasture these animals, just board them in an indoor/outdoor stall, with a small riding area. Maybe there isn't a market for that at all, still doing some investigating. Thanks again for all the good info.

Besides $$ investment in any type of infrastructure for boarding horses, several items would be mandatory:
  • 1. Very good liability insurance policy.
    2. Air tight boarding agreement (contract).
    3. Someone available daily to check on the operation.
    4. Stockpile of hay.

Given this, people that board horses are the "city folk" that don't necessarily like to get their hands dirty and/or who just want a place to keep (safe) their horse until they get around to messing with it. In the Texas area, for example, full care boarding (hay, feed, water, shelter, turnout pasture, stall cleaning, shavings) is generally running between $400 and $800 a month, depending on the "eye candy" of the facility. Even small operators with few facilities are charging $300 a month. Extras the customer pays for include any special feed, farrier, Vet services, vaccinations, de-worming, etc.

A barn with stalls could easily run $50,000 to $75,000 for a setup for 5 to 10 stalls, very possibly more.

Even with a good monthly charge, assuming all space is rented, it could take years to recover capitalization costs, and then there is maintenance, repairs, etc.

Even with a given States "Equine Liability Law Waiver" one still needs comprehensive insurance for such an operation. Heaven help the facility owner who has a renter's horse injured (or died) from whatever cause...

Such an operation is NOT for an absentee owner...essentially all operations I know of have a "Barn Manager" on the premises full time.

With the USA now being "formally" in Recession, and with all the economic disasters occurring, IMO a horse boarding facility would be a money sinkhole...until the horse economy and market gets back to full strength, if it ever was in the first place.

JMO... :)

Thanks Bill. I understand I will need insurance and contracts. I do have a stockpile of hay, but not what is referred to as good "horse hay". But, I am planning on the renters supplying their own feed, and labor as far as feeding and cleaning. There is one other operation nearby, charging 100.00 per month under the same circumstances as I am considering. They are full, with a waiting list, so I can see the market is there. My operation will not cost anywhere near what you stated to build, as I will build it myself, mostly with pipe and sucker rod that I will get for free. The material for the building(s) I will have to purchase, but I will build them myself as well. I may even build them in a way that allows me to do one unit at a time, reducing my risk even further. Seems like it will work here, time will tell. Anyway, thanks for the info, appreciate it. If you can think of anything else that might help, please pass it on.

one of my mom's friends ran a boarding business set up much like you are saying you want to start. he had a few problems like horses pawing up the grass and some cribbing. some of the owners weren't the brightest crayons in the box.

but along with charging the boarding fee he also made them buy their own feed and hay. but he would take care of them if they didn't show up. or if they were out of town.