"started" calves

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Anyone know the exact definetion of "started heifer calves" on a dairy sale report? I'm going to guess several weeks old to weaned or maybe a little over, but I'm not 100% sure and I do need to know. Price on that class for the last week was $530-770/hd.

Thanks - any help is appreciated :)

In this country most calves are sold at the weekly sale - - so they are less than 7 days old. Some "started" calves do come through. My guess is that they are several weeks old but not weaned yet.

i would assume a started calf would be one that has been weaned and started on.. feed. i would think it would be weaned, and past stocker stage. at those prices it would have to be a bit of a large calf, for holsteins, you know. definitely after weaning.

on second thought i know nothing about dairy cattle or how much a good a dairy heifer at a dairy sale (didnt there was such! lol) might bring. so what do i know, i just work here.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong here, but I thought that 'started' calves means they know what feed is, what to do with it, and are eating good?

msscamp":djktypwo said:
It's entirely possible I'm wrong here, but I thought that 'started' calves means they know what feed is, what to do with it, and are eating good?
thats what i think too but you said it better.

milkmaid":yfb5ky01 said:
Anyone know the exact definetion of "started heifer calves" on a dairy sale report? I'm going to guess several weeks old to weaned or maybe a little over, but I'm not 100% sure and I do need to know. Price on that class for the last week was $530-770/hd.

Thanks - any help is appreciated :)
Milkmaid - Definitons and terms can vary in different regions of the country. Best of my knowledge, "started' means started on grain and hay diet, definately weaned. Expect 200 - 375 lbs. They are classified this way because many heifer calf buyers want to purchase them after they are done with milk feeding.

We condoered started calves just hat, started. Sucking a bottle, past the most worrisome stage for scours. A weaned calf is just that weaned, not started. Started calves were anywhere from a week to several weeks old. But thta's a regional thing and also an auction ploy.

dun

dun":137der43 said:
We condoered started calves just hat, started. Sucking a bottle, past the most worrisome stage for scours. A weaned calf is just that weaned, not started. Started calves were anywhere from a week to several weeks old. But thta's a regional thing and also an auction ploy.

dun

Price on that class for the last week was $530-770/hd.

if these are bottle babies they are out of my price range.

Beefy":11kqkb2n said:
dun":11kqkb2n said:

dun

Price on that class for the last week was $530-770/hd.

if these are bottle babies they are out of my price range.

Amen to that! :shock: Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a bottle baby? The chances of recouping it are slim to none.

msscamp":15z9v6fq said:
Amen to that! :shock: Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a bottle baby? The chances of recouping it are slim to none.

Holstein heifer drop calves run as much as a weaned beef steer. Today the money is in Holstein heifers.

Baby calves:

Holstein heifers 375.00-580.00, indiv at 640.00, small 275.00-320.00

Holstein bulls 200.00-300.00, small 150.00-190.00

Crossbred heifers 250.00-420.00, Crossbred bulls 150.00-180.00

Source: MO Dept of Ag-USDA Market News Service, Springfield, MO

Ray Schooley, Market Reporter, 573-751-5618

24 hour Market Report 1-573-522-9244

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/JC-LS130.txt

Beefy":2868pz65 said:
what do weaned heifers go for?

Open heifers:

Approved- 700-800 lbs 1310.00-1400.00, Crossbreds 1050.00-1220.00

600-700 lbs 1000.00-1250.00, Crossbreds 1100.00-1310.00

500-600 lbs 1000.00-1210.00, Crossbreds 725.00-1090.00

400-500 lbs 900.00-1150.00, Jerseys 800.00-1050.00,

Crossbreds 700.00-960.00

300-400 lbs 880.00-1025.00, Crossbreds 660.00-840.00

200-300 lbs 635.00-925.00, Jerseys 420.00-700.00,

Crossbreds 310.00-650.00

Thanks for the responses - really appreciate it. I found a dairy "nearby" that's selling out and I figure I could take on a good handful of young stock. As many as I can fit comfortably in a average sized stock trailer. Just wasn't completely sure on what to offer this fellow for the young calves.

And yes, heifer prices are ridiculously high, but the thing is, as long as springer prices don't drop drastically in the next year to year-and-a-half, I don't see any problems with making back everything I paid and then some. It'll be a little investment...college money.

milkmaid":3bkvpyu6 said:
Thanks for the responses - really appreciate it. I found a dairy "nearby" that's selling out and I figure I could take on a good handful of young stock. As many as I can fit comfortably in a average sized stock trailer. Just wasn't completely sure on what to offer this fellow for the young calves.

And yes, heifer prices are ridiculously high, but the thing is, as long as springer prices don't drop drastically in the next year to year-and-a-half, I don't see any problems with making back everything I paid and then some. It'll be a little investment...college money.

I read an announcement yesterday that there won;t be any byouts this year, they're still trying to pay off the last one. That may decrease the need for more replacements, but the way some of the dairys are growing in other areas I don;t really see a big drop in the near future. But of course, I predicted that PCs would never catch on so my clairvoyance skills are highly suspect.

dun

I heard that about the buyouts too...my vet also mentioned that with the new sexed semen available, the dairies can have almost an entire heifer calf crop, which is sure to drive the price down. Supply demand.

I figure I'll just go ahead and jump in feet first and hope for the best. I could sit back and not do anything - worrying about the market dropping - but in all likelyhood I'd look back two years later and view it as a lost opportunity. I guess I'm just thinking it's better to take the chance and deal with the risk, than to sit in my little corner and do nothing.

I am a little nervous though. Isn't every day I go driving 2 1/2 hours to spend this kind of cash on a trailer load of calves.

Everything is dairy where im from....9 out of 10 animals at the weekly sale are holsteins.

Trying real hard to come up with a way to make some money off those holstein heifers without actually becoming a dairy.

Started calves here basically means off the milk/bottle.

MM - You have a couple things in your favor. One is limited mortality as you have skills to keep 'em alive. Other is by time heifers produced by SS are being sold as springers, the calves you buy today will be well into first lactation.
If market drops so low you can't bear to sell them, You can always start dairying, LOL. It's a slippery slope.................

milkmaid":3krzye75 said:
I am a little nervous though. Isn't every day I go driving 2 1/2 hours to spend this kind of cash on a trailer load of calves.

For what it's worth, I have absolutely no doubt that you have an excellent head on your shoulders and have done your homework thoroughly. While I know there are risks, I've got a sneaking suspicion that you will be fine! ;-) :)

Latest posts