Started buying pairs in Va

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
I have a guy buying 10 or 20 pairs for me out of Va salebarns. I just plan to split them this fall.
The first pair he got today was a 7 year old 1350# blk cow with 350# steer calf.....bought them for $1800.

I am hoping pairs like this bring me close to $2400 this fall when I split them. I am keeping them at a different farm than where my permanent cows are kept.

I've been buying for two guys doing the same thing you are. The guys I'm buying for plan to keep them 4 months and breed the cows back before they sell them. They have been giving 1800-2100 for good older pairs and thinner pairs. 3-4 month bred good older cows have been bringing 1500 to 1800 so they should make money.

I always worry about buying sale barn cows with the expectation that they will breed back. There are a certain percentage of those cows who have ended up there because they bred back late. I don't like buying anything at the market that I will lose money on if they come up open the next time.

they'll be extremely profitable if you just cut the heads off everyone of those cows. the only hole i see is the ability to buy any significant volume of truly good one-shot pairs with quality calves for that price. seems like a good plan, good luck.

Jason most of the pairs at Winchester were split yesterday due to the cheap prices they were bringing.. I never seen them do it so much till lately. I watch it and record it most of the time.

jasonleonard":2ig8zaks said:
I have a guy buying 10 or 20 pairs for me out of Va salebarns. I just plan to split them this fall.
The first pair he got today was a 7 year old 1350# blk cow with 350# steer calf.....bought them for $1800.

I am hoping pairs like this bring me close to $2400 this fall when I split them. I am keeping them at a different farm than where my permanent cows are kept.

You guy's should do well. I figure you or Denver will be one of the heavy hitters in the cattle business before long. Good luck, timing is everything.

Sky...they tell me if consignor states that they want them sold as pairs at FLE, then if he isn't in the crowd to ask about changing to a cow-calf split when they come through....then they must sell as pairs.

And yes highgrit Denver is going to be a big cattle trader in no time! I am planning on selling my two Tilted Kilt franchises.....and use the cash to trade cattle for me?????

Where is KT......we are talking about VA cattle and he is silent??

oh OK yesterday seemed like almost all pairs that were over couple hundred lbs were split first time seen them sell the pair then say bring them back let's split them

jasonleonard":1pjbrwc2 said:
Sky...they tell me if consignor states that they want them sold as pairs at FLE, then if he isn't in the crowd to ask about changing to a cow-calf split when they come through....then they must sell as pairs.

And yes highgrit Denver is going to be a big cattle trader in no time! I am planning on selling my two Tilted Kilt franchises.....and use the cash to trade cattle for me?????

Where is KT......we are talking about VA cattle and he is silent??
I am being real quiet ad sneaking up to northern VA to steal a load or two. They sure aint cheap here.

There is not a lot of demand for older short bred cows going into winter. They may be 4 months bred but it seems the sale barn vets want to be somewhat conservative do they mark the animal with a 2 or 3. As a result they weigh out a bunch of them. So does it really pay to have a bull with them? Would they be in better shape and weigh more if they were truly open?

Latest posts